Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mexican Withholding Tax on Upwork Earnings

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
71 of 98

Hi Daniel, Raymundo and Jose,

Upwork is in the process of getting registered in Mexico with SAT. We'll share an update and provide Upwork's RFC number as soon as it becomes available.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Valeria
Untitled
webforefront
Daniel R Member Since: Jul 29, 2017
72 of 98

Hi Valeria, 

Thanks for the information. 

The problem I'm still seeing is when you say: " We'll share an update and provide Upwork's RFC number as soon as it becomes available"

This is what isn't right or legal in Mexico, you can't withhold taxes if you don't have an RFC already, why are you planning on withholding taxes starting in 2 weeks, when Upwork still doesn't have an RFC ? 
           Upwork's RFC is needed so that we (freelancers) can also inform the government who will be withholding our money.

rayfreelance
Raymundo L Member Since: Apr 18, 2019
73 of 98
Thanks Valeria,
In addition to Up RFC, we will need the legal company name that Up registers with SAT.

We will need to receive a CFDI on monthly basis, related to how much Up retains to us (for those freelancers that will declare Up is marking a partial retention)

Please forward my comment to the right person.

Thanks
alonsogyg222
Alonso G Member Since: Jan 23, 2020
74 of 98

Hello and thanks for your response Valeria. 

Are there any news on this information ?

Thanks 

alexantares
Alejandro R Member Since: Apr 10, 2017
75 of 98

Is this change in the Clave 2411 good for us? Or it leads us to the worst-case scenario? 

alonsogyg222
Alonso G Member Since: Jan 23, 2020
76 of 98

Hello,

I have provided my RFC.

In the memo you put on upwork Platform you're saying that you will hold either 20 or 1 % on the earnings I make after april based on the condition of RFC

From my understanding If I provide RFC you're going to take 1% but this message says otherwise.

So which one is it?

andregutierrez22
Andrea G Moderator Member Since: Jul 7, 2020
77 of 98

Hi Alonso,

If you provide a valid RFC number we will withhold 1% of all your Upwork earnings, starting with all payments made on or after April 1, 2021. 

Thanks!

~Andrea
Untitled
mintlights
Marián R Member Since: May 21, 2018
78 of 98

Hi, just to be completely sure, if I transfer my current earnings to my bank account before April 1st without adding the RFC (or with the RFC), this withhold won't affect me for now?.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
79 of 98

Hi Marian,

Thanks for the question. If you don’t provide a valid RFC number we will withhold 20% of all your Upwork earnings, starting with all payments made on or after April 1, 2021.

Untitled
lucioric
Community Guru
Lucio Ricardo M Member Since: May 16, 2018
80 of 98

Rught that the government is seeking us for taxes, but as we have obbligations, we should have it easy to have the right to have a social security acount where we give a part for retirement. Don't you think, Mexico-based freelancers?. With obbligations should come also rights.