🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Milestone Editing for Clients
Page options

Milestone Editing for Clients

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

We are excited to announce a much anticipated improvement to Upwork’s fixed-price milestone system. Soon, clients will be able to easily add, edit and reorder upcoming milestones on active contracts.

Clients will see an “Add or Edit Milestones” button in their fixed-price contract room. 

Once they click the button, they will see a screen with a list of contract milestones and can make one or multiple changes to upcoming milestones without having to submit each change individually. Clients will be able to add, edit, or delete upcoming milestones. They will also be able to reorder upcoming milestones using the drag-and-drop capability on the left side of each milestone. Clients can use the “Show changes” toggle in the upper right corner to view their work-in-progress changes.  

19-1203_CL-ManagedMilestones_Forum_406x304.gif

When changes are made, freelancers will be notified via email. Each addition and/or change made to an existing contract’s milestones will be detailed in the email notification as well as in Messages. 

As always, clients should communicate with freelancers and agree in advance before making any changes. Freelancers can still propose changes and additions to contract milestones and submit them to the client for review. If a freelancer had not already agreed with a change, they can use this functionality.  This can be done by clicking the “Add or Edit Milestones” button in the Contract Room. We hope with the additional functionalities for clients, this will continue to improve the contract management experience. 

24 Comments
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Maria, 

Just to clarify, as Rene has already pointed out, this is the change on the clients' side not on the freelancers' side. It's indeed has been requested by clients before, here is one of the threads where it's been discussed.

That said, we did announce some improvements for the freelancers' side of the fixed-price contracts system earlier this year. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Phyllis,

Yes, upcoming milestones are the milestones that have not been funded yet.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Mary,

As before, freelancers should only start working on a milestone once it's funded if they want to benefit from Upwork Fixed-Price Protection. With this new feature clients will be able to easily edit upcoming milestone, but they will still need to fund them in order for the freelancer to start working on them.

researchediting
Community Member

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Maria, 

Just to clarify, as Rene has already pointed out, this is the change on the clients' side not on the freelancers' side. It's indeed has been requested by clients before, here is one of the threads where it's been discussed.

That said, we did announce some improvements for the freelancers' side of the fixed-price contracts system earlier this year. 

So freelancers can add, edit, or reorder milestones, but can only delete "upcoming"/unfunded ones? The only way to reject a client's funded milestone remains to close the contract?

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Michael,

Sorry, I may have caused some confusion. To clarify, both improvements - announced here for clients and on this thread for freelancers - have to do with upcoming (unfunded) milestones. So both clients and freelancers can edit, delete and reorder upcoming (unfunded) milestones. There hasn't been any changes to funded milestones. Clients can still edit the amount when releasing a funded milestones and we suggest freelancers and clients discuss it among themselves if it's necessary. If the parties can't come to any agreement about the terms of a funded milestone, they can close the contract. 

I understand that the functionality for the freelancer to reject or accept a funded milestone you are inquiring about is not available. However, there has been a lot of work done to improve fixed-price milestone system and the team is planning to continue improving it next year. Stay tuned for future announcements!

researchediting
Community Member

Thank you, Valeria, for the further clarification.

I agree that the system as modified for both contracting parties is an improvement. Hopefully, the contracting parties will have jointly recognized an impasse before resorting to closing the contract, so no hard feelings need be felt nor surprising feedback left. I look forward to future improvements.

Best,

Michael

neon_triangle
Community Member
The milestone you refer to had big issues including the rest of the site. please working on ssl. and multiple issues uploading and securing private information
syedtuqir
Community Member
Nice work
91ce95ef
Community Member

Hi. 

I am working with a freelancer with a fixed price project.  I am trying to add milestones in but the fixed price remains there and and cannot be altered.  It has a 'lock' symbol on the left side of it.  I was hoping that as I added in milestones, it would deduct from the fixed price amount but it just adds on to it. 

Kindly advise how to take the fixed amount and break it down into milestones?

Thanks in advance,

Maggie

JoanneP

Hi Maggie,

Could you please try using a different browser or after clearing your cache and cookies? I also checked and it looks like you have not yet released the payment for the first milestone. Please know that you may only fund one milestone at a time. Funds must be released on the current milestone before the next one can be activated and funded. You can choose to release a partial payment, any remaining funds can be used to fund the next milestone, or you can request an escrow refund for the remaining amount.