cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Milestone Editing for Clients

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
1 of 18

We are excited to announce a much anticipated improvement to Upwork’s fixed-price milestone system. Soon, clients will be able to easily add, edit and reorder upcoming milestones on active contracts.

Clients will see an “Add or Edit Milestones” button in their fixed-price contract room. 

Once they click the button, they will see a screen with a list of contract milestones and can make one or multiple changes to upcoming milestones without having to submit each change individually. Clients will be able to add, edit, or delete upcoming milestones. They will also be able to reorder upcoming milestones using the drag-and-drop capability on the left side of each milestone. Clients can use the “Show changes” toggle in the upper right corner to view their work-in-progress changes.  

19-1203_CL-ManagedMilestones_Forum_406x304.gif

When changes are made, freelancers will be notified via email. Each addition and/or change made to an existing contract’s milestones will be detailed in the email notification as well as in Messages. 

As always, clients should communicate with freelancers and agree in advance before making any changes. Freelancers can still propose changes and additions to contract milestones and submit them to the client for review. If a freelancer had not already agreed with a change, they can use this functionality.  This can be done by clicking the “Add or Edit Milestones” button in the Contract Room. We hope with the additional functionalities for clients, this will continue to improve the contract management experience. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
2 of 18

Valeria, this is good news. Anything that enhances functionality and the UX on the client side benefits all of us. However, there is still a big hole in the bucket on the FL side:

"As always, clients should communicate with freelancers and agree in advance before making any changes. Freelancers can still propose changes and additions to contract milestones and submit them to the client for review. If a freelancer had not already agreed with a change, they can use this functionality. "

It seems to be still the case that a client can change the terms of an existing contract -- by altering/adding milestones -- and the FL can attempt to negotiate but if the client insists, then the FL's only recourse is to close the contract. Is that accurate?

Thanks.

3 of 18

Hi Phyllis and Michael,

In the part you are quoting, I was referring to this option that allows freelancers to propose changes to upcoming milestones. That option allows freelancers to delete a milestone and send it as a contract change request to the client.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
4 of 18

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Phyllis and Michael,

In the part you are quoting, I was referring to this option that allows freelancers to propose changes to upcoming milestones. That option allows freelancers to delete a milestone and send it as a contract change request to the client.

OK, thanks, Valeria!

So like any contract change, both parties need to approve. Client and freelancer can each edit, delete, and bounce terms off each other till they reach agreement, right? (Obviously, and as you mentioned earlier, it's preferable to work this out in conversation prior to starting a round of milestone ping pong.) Freelancers can reject milestones by deleting them, subject to client approval? And at that point, if there is a true impasse, it makes sense to close the contract anyway, I suppose.

Best,

Michael

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
5 of 18

Hi Valeria,

Like the others, I really don't understand anything about how this benefits freelancer.
Maybe it's my poor understanding of English, especially if it is a bit "convoluted."
So I would appreciate a very concrete explanation of how, as a freelancer, this benefits me, beyond what I could do so far, I mean, closing the contract, with its consequences.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
6 of 18

Maria T wrote:

So I would appreciate a very concrete explanation of how, as a freelancer, this benefits me

Until now, clients were unable to add milestones as long as the active milestone wasn't released. This was a real problem and many have complained about this. If I understand the new feature well, this is a fix and it will help many.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
7 of 18

Hi Maria, 

Just to clarify, as Rene has already pointed out, this is the change on the clients' side not on the freelancers' side. It's indeed has been requested by clients before, here is one of the threads where it's been discussed.

That said, we did announce some improvements for the freelancers' side of the fixed-price contracts system earlier this year. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
8 of 18

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Maria, 

Just to clarify, as Rene has already pointed out, this is the change on the clients' side not on the freelancers' side. It's indeed has been requested by clients before, here is one of the threads where it's been discussed.

That said, we did announce some improvements for the freelancers' side of the fixed-price contracts system earlier this year. 

So freelancers can add, edit, or reorder milestones, but can only delete "upcoming"/unfunded ones? The only way to reject a client's funded milestone remains to close the contract?

9 of 18

Michael,

Sorry, I may have caused some confusion. To clarify, both improvements - announced here for clients and on this thread for freelancers - have to do with upcoming (unfunded) milestones. So both clients and freelancers can edit, delete and reorder upcoming (unfunded) milestones. There hasn't been any changes to funded milestones. Clients can still edit the amount when releasing a funded milestones and we suggest freelancers and clients discuss it among themselves if it's necessary. If the parties can't come to any agreement about the terms of a funded milestone, they can close the contract. 

I understand that the functionality for the freelancer to reject or accept a funded milestone you are inquiring about is not available. However, there has been a lot of work done to improve fixed-price milestone system and the team is planning to continue improving it next year. Stay tuned for future announcements!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
10 of 18

Thank you, Valeria, for the further clarification.

I agree that the system as modified for both contracting parties is an improvement. Hopefully, the contracting parties will have jointly recognized an impasse before resorting to closing the contract, so no hard feelings need be felt nor surprising feedback left. I look forward to future improvements.

Best,

Michael

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS