🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » More Connects to win more of the work you lov...
Page options

More Connects to win more of the work you love

katbenjamin
Community Member

UPDATE: This is already live. You’ll see these free Connects added to your account at the start of your next billing cycle. You can find this date on your Memberships and Connects page under User Settings.

In December, we’re upgrading Connects to provide you free monthly Connects and bonus Connects for interviews you win. You’re doing amazing things on Upwork, and more Connects means more chances to do the work you love. 

We’ve seen a huge surge in client activity, and our work marketplace is full of opportunities for all the incredible talent on our platform. We can’t wait to watch you use these Connects to win your share of these opportunities, form stronger relationships with clients, and grow your career on Upwork.

We introduced paid Connects to keep spam from crowding out your proposals and help you win the jobs you want. But we want to ensure connecting with clients is exciting and affordable, so we’re changing our program to provide you with the Connects you need to build deeper relationships and unlock the best opportunities.

Here’s exactly what you can expect:

Freelancer Basic Plan

Receive 10 free Connects per month (according to billing cycle)

Freelancer Plus Plan

Receive 80 Connects per month (70 + 10 free Connects)

(according to billing cycle)

Connects Rollover Limits

The Basic and Plus roll over limit is now 200 Connects

Interview Requests 

Freelancers receive free Connects (the number may vary) when they win an interview with an established client on Upwork**

In December, you’ll see these free Connects added to your account at the start of your next billing cycle. You can find this date on your Memberships and Connects page under User Settings. You’ll also receive an email when your Connects are available for use.

These changes will create more opportunities for everyone in our community, and we’re continuing to explore other ways to show our appreciation for everything you do. Your success is our success, and we’re proud to provide a home where you can do the work you love, form lucrative relationships, and build an amazing independent business.

Learn more about how Connects work here

Update 7/23/2021: Note that when Connects are awarded for interview requests this will show up as two transactions in the Connects History. There is no change to how these are awarded, this is simply done for accounting purposes.

** Updated 1/2/2023

2,370 Comments
rashidmehmood147
Community Member

Finally somthing good from Upwork

sopho_t
Community Member
thanks
marinagaudin
Community Member

You should give back to the freelancer those connects that were spent on jobs that were closed or that someone else was hired.

diana-arous
Community Member

Abdul Sammad A wrote:

Only 10 connects are added? upwork should provide at-least 100 free connects OR upwork should consider a 2 connects policy for all jobs. Otherwise its hard to survive here because 80% jobs are closed without anybody being hired 

I second that.

Also, not that it's up for debate, but the fees are getting our of hand! not only we have to deal with the 20% but now an extra 1% for VAT?? with the client's 20% Upwork gets 41% of every deal! that's insane!

so yeah, thanks for the free connects i guess...

komalmore593
Community Member
Nice to see this is happening at Upwork...

Will the freelancer get 10 connects on just accepting the interview invite from client?
nitisinghal
Community Member

Thank you Upwork team, for being so thoughtful about the freelancers. However, I agree with a few people here, that 10 free connects are of barely any use, as these days, each job requires 4-6 connects atleast, and more than half the jobs are closed even without any hiring. 

It should atleast be upto 20-25 connects with the basic plan. 

I was using a freelancer Plus plan until a few months ago, when a USA based client asked his credit card company to demand for a refund for a job completed and approved, and Upwork simply asked me to return the money, which was very unfair, and I felt that there was no security towards me, even after using a PLUS plan.  And hence, I moved to Freelance basic, but guess, 10 connects are way too low. 

Please re-consider on revising the number of free connects, or please add some extra security towards us, where our hard earned money over a completed job is not returned, only because the client demands it incorrectly. 

However, bonus connects is something very nice, and would surely like to thank you for that. 

Regards, 
Niti 

britalian
Community Member

I haven't had time to read through all the comments but this feels like a good step.

I think it's a real stretch to say that Freelancer Plus includes 80 free Connects. We pay for those Connects, they are in no way 'free'. It's deliberate word play like that that erodes trust in my opinion.

It's like all that free food you get in First Class, if you only pay a few grand more for the ticket.

shobujbd
Community Member

Thats greally great initiative. Thank you Upwork. 

osmanali38
Community Member
Awesome,a great news to heard. I personally thank the committee and the upwork team for the support they are going to provide to us.
britalian
Community Member

Very good point. Also, many buyers post jobs with a budget of $1000, which is their total budget for the entire project.

Applying costs you 6 Connects......

Then in the description, they say "We are paying $5 per script of 5000 words".

When I report the ads as misleading, I get the message that no action was taken.