🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » More Connects to win more of the work you lov...
Page options

More Connects to win more of the work you love

katbenjamin
Community Member

UPDATE: This is already live. You’ll see these free Connects added to your account at the start of your next billing cycle. You can find this date on your Memberships and Connects page under User Settings.

In December, we’re upgrading Connects to provide you free monthly Connects and bonus Connects for interviews you win. You’re doing amazing things on Upwork, and more Connects means more chances to do the work you love. 

We’ve seen a huge surge in client activity, and our work marketplace is full of opportunities for all the incredible talent on our platform. We can’t wait to watch you use these Connects to win your share of these opportunities, form stronger relationships with clients, and grow your career on Upwork.

We introduced paid Connects to keep spam from crowding out your proposals and help you win the jobs you want. But we want to ensure connecting with clients is exciting and affordable, so we’re changing our program to provide you with the Connects you need to build deeper relationships and unlock the best opportunities.

Here’s exactly what you can expect:

Freelancer Basic Plan

Receive 10 free Connects per month (according to billing cycle)

Freelancer Plus Plan

Receive 80 Connects per month (70 + 10 free Connects)

(according to billing cycle)

Connects Rollover Limits

The Basic and Plus roll over limit is now 200 Connects

Interview Requests 

Freelancers receive free Connects (the number may vary) when they win an interview with an established client on Upwork**

In December, you’ll see these free Connects added to your account at the start of your next billing cycle. You can find this date on your Memberships and Connects page under User Settings. You’ll also receive an email when your Connects are available for use.

These changes will create more opportunities for everyone in our community, and we’re continuing to explore other ways to show our appreciation for everything you do. Your success is our success, and we’re proud to provide a home where you can do the work you love, form lucrative relationships, and build an amazing independent business.

Learn more about how Connects work here

Update 7/23/2021: Note that when Connects are awarded for interview requests this will show up as two transactions in the Connects History. There is no change to how these are awarded, this is simply done for accounting purposes.

** Updated 1/2/2023

2,370 Comments
lucaloiacono
Community Member

Totally agree with you. 

When I started on UpWork they were still giving 60 Connects every month and as a new freelancer, it is very hard to win jobs.

After they implemented the pay-per-Connects model, I`ve stopped using the platform just like many others. 

10 Connects it is nothing. it goes in 10 minutes or less of applying.

They should just go back to the old 60 Connects free monthly plan if they want to keep talent on the platform.

aa42db63
Community Member
Even it is meaningless but if upwork commitee and management will decide
then may be advisable to followed
daniel-01
Community Member

Also when you compare differing hourly wages on the platform i.e. people who work for $3-4 per hour, the price of Connects is astronomical to them. 

aa42db63
Community Member
I recently joined and only get 20 free connects so i brought more 20 from
payment method.
Yes, you are right 60 will be best for new frelencer.
mgmason1975
Community Member

This is very badly worded:

Each interview request you (freelancers and agencies) receive and respond to from a submitted proposal earns 10 free Connects (maximum of 50 Connects per 7-day period)

Could someone clarify whether this is every hire from an invitiation to interview, or every time we respond to an invitation regardless of whether we accept or reject

Or perhaps both?

c_dornelles
Community Member

Thank you so much 🙂

imagine_create
Community Member

First of all I think that 10 connects is way too small, you can apply for 1-3 jobs (80% chance thats a fake job with no one getting hired).

Second thing is this will create even more fake job post, for example posting 5$ job just to win the interview and a job and get more connects from that.

Third thing and the most important one that could bring people back to Upwork and bring new people is

a way to stop posting fake jobs (probably by competiting freelencers) in order to waste ours connects.

By that I mean maybe allowing only job post from verified payement clients? If we as a freelancers have to go through all the hoops when registrering and applying, the clients should atleast be checked with that info, also if a job is not awarded to anyone, we should always get the connects back. For the clients that have posted many jobs without ever hiring you should prevent more job posts.  I dont believe this 10 connects will change anything, but it is a push in the right direction definetly.

AleksandarD
Community Manager

Hi Matthew,

If you submit a proposal, and the client responds to your proposal and sets up an interview with you, you'll receive the bonus Connects.

Thank you.

kipili
Community Member

i support an idea of Mr. Jose. 10 Free connects are too little for new freelancers

5c437c31
Community Member

@ Jose M, How do you know it was 60 Connects? You are a member since 5 days.

I am greatful for everything someone gives me  so thank you Upwork, keep up the good work !