🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » More Connects to win more of the work you lov...
Page options

More Connects to win more of the work you love

katbenjamin
Community Member

UPDATE: This is already live. You’ll see these free Connects added to your account at the start of your next billing cycle. You can find this date on your Memberships and Connects page under User Settings.

In December, we’re upgrading Connects to provide you free monthly Connects and bonus Connects for interviews you win. You’re doing amazing things on Upwork, and more Connects means more chances to do the work you love. 

We’ve seen a huge surge in client activity, and our work marketplace is full of opportunities for all the incredible talent on our platform. We can’t wait to watch you use these Connects to win your share of these opportunities, form stronger relationships with clients, and grow your career on Upwork.

We introduced paid Connects to keep spam from crowding out your proposals and help you win the jobs you want. But we want to ensure connecting with clients is exciting and affordable, so we’re changing our program to provide you with the Connects you need to build deeper relationships and unlock the best opportunities.

Here’s exactly what you can expect:

Freelancer Basic Plan

Receive 10 free Connects per month (according to billing cycle)

Freelancer Plus Plan

Receive 80 Connects per month (70 + 10 free Connects)

(according to billing cycle)

Connects Rollover Limits

The Basic and Plus roll over limit is now 200 Connects

Interview Requests 

Freelancers receive free Connects (the number may vary) when they win an interview with an established client on Upwork**

In December, you’ll see these free Connects added to your account at the start of your next billing cycle. You can find this date on your Memberships and Connects page under User Settings. You’ll also receive an email when your Connects are available for use.

These changes will create more opportunities for everyone in our community, and we’re continuing to explore other ways to show our appreciation for everything you do. Your success is our success, and we’re proud to provide a home where you can do the work you love, form lucrative relationships, and build an amazing independent business.

Learn more about how Connects work here

Update 7/23/2021: Note that when Connects are awarded for interview requests this will show up as two transactions in the Connects History. There is no change to how these are awarded, this is simply done for accounting purposes.

** Updated 1/2/2023

2,370 Comments
sheknowsbest
Community Member

Obviously you would think so, **Edited for Community Guidelines**. Upwork used to give 60 connects and used to take only 10%. Now they take 40% from both employee and employer and no connects. Oh, wait they do give you 10, just enough to keep you on the hamster wheel.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Diana Alisa,

Diana Alisa R wrote:
Now they take 40% from both employee and employer and no connects. 

I'd like to clarify that Freelancer Service Fee starts at 20% and is reduced to 10% and then 5% as the freelancer reaches $500 and $10,000 total billings respectively with a specific client. Clients do NOT pay an additional 20% fee. Clients pay a 3% Payment Processing fee

freelancerrahid
Community Member

Very few connections for new freelancers . I want the upwork team to add some more free connections .

gaylesvoice
Community Member

I read someone else's comment who stated that there used to be 60 free connects per month. It's been so long since I've been actively submitting to jobs that I thought it was 30.

Whatever it was back then, it WORKED. You already take 20% commission from each voiceover job that I do, now you want to charge me to upgrade and you took my connects away; and I have to PAY YOU to submit for work?? I certainly won't be back to make you any more commissions until you reverse this horrible new 'idea' you've implemented. Why do large companies find it necessary to 'fix something that isn't broken'....

Your company lost my services, which cost you much, much more than the benefits you believe you will be receiving by giving me 10 connects per month to work with. Give me my 60 free connects please, and I will start submitting to work, and then you can take a commission.

I lost quite a bit of work with your company since you took my connects. And you lost quite a bit of commission....

mack85
Community Member

Good to see to have little connects in free of cost. Appriciated this step. I am sure Upwork give us good benefits in future.

alihassan393
Community Member
So are these connects provided or not? Or will be provided from next month
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Syed Shabbir,

Thanks for your question. To clarify, the changes announced here will be rolled out in December.

colettelewis
Community Member

Now that Upwork's green playing fields are being mowed and rolled in preparation for spring - could someone tell me where the goalposts are going to go.

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Nichola, you should know by now that the goal posts are ever in motion.

sana987
Community Member

10 connects are less, but something is better than nothing.