🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » More Connects to win more of the work you lov...
Page options

More Connects to win more of the work you love

katbenjamin
Community Member

UPDATE: This is already live. You’ll see these free Connects added to your account at the start of your next billing cycle. You can find this date on your Memberships and Connects page under User Settings.

In December, we’re upgrading Connects to provide you free monthly Connects and bonus Connects for interviews you win. You’re doing amazing things on Upwork, and more Connects means more chances to do the work you love. 

We’ve seen a huge surge in client activity, and our work marketplace is full of opportunities for all the incredible talent on our platform. We can’t wait to watch you use these Connects to win your share of these opportunities, form stronger relationships with clients, and grow your career on Upwork.

We introduced paid Connects to keep spam from crowding out your proposals and help you win the jobs you want. But we want to ensure connecting with clients is exciting and affordable, so we’re changing our program to provide you with the Connects you need to build deeper relationships and unlock the best opportunities.

Here’s exactly what you can expect:

Freelancer Basic Plan

Receive 10 free Connects per month (according to billing cycle)

Freelancer Plus Plan

Receive 80 Connects per month (70 + 10 free Connects)

(according to billing cycle)

Connects Rollover Limits

The Basic and Plus roll over limit is now 200 Connects

Interview Requests 

Freelancers receive free Connects (the number may vary) when they win an interview with an established client on Upwork**

In December, you’ll see these free Connects added to your account at the start of your next billing cycle. You can find this date on your Memberships and Connects page under User Settings. You’ll also receive an email when your Connects are available for use.

These changes will create more opportunities for everyone in our community, and we’re continuing to explore other ways to show our appreciation for everything you do. Your success is our success, and we’re proud to provide a home where you can do the work you love, form lucrative relationships, and build an amazing independent business.

Learn more about how Connects work here

Update 7/23/2021: Note that when Connects are awarded for interview requests this will show up as two transactions in the Connects History. There is no change to how these are awarded, this is simply done for accounting purposes.

** Updated 1/2/2023

2,370 Comments
samiullahjoya
Community Member

How can I receive more connects for submiting proposals. Because I am a newbie and i almost used all for connects. In this regard please help me. Thanks

My profile is as under.

https://www.upwork.com/ab/find-work/

kobulov-sandjar
Community Member
I have a question: if the client send offer after active proposal , can i get free connects? Thanks so much.
genevbj
Community Member

Hi. I do not received connects yet.

ritecraft
Community Member

I have not received any free connects that were supposed to be rolled out in December 2020. Is it not automatic?

petra_r
Community Member

Smiti M wrote:

I have not received any free connects that were supposed to be rolled out in December 2020. Is it not automatic?

It is automatic.  Or will be, once it is rolled out. As has been mentioned literally dozens of times in the thread you are responding to: The new system has NOT started yet, and you will get the 10 new connects on the first day of your own billing cycle, which you can find on your Memberships and Connects” page in the settings.

bebacf25
Community Member

Hi Mikko, 

It is not about the bid fee or connects. It is about the way this platform works and support for freelancer, specially new freelancer to survive.

One a contract is made on price of 100$. Client have to spend like 120$. Freelancer just received 80$ instead of 100$. Meanwhile, the project has the bid price at 6 connects. Let say, it got attention and bids from 40 people. That means the platform takes like: 20$ + 20$ + 24$ (form 240 connects). 
That is too much. And this way eliminate new freelancer when they join the platform.

I would agree with you, we are fair to pay for the fee but that has been taken in the project fee.

You bid for 15 projects and win one of them. Some projects are even faked or abandoned (the client post the job, collects many bids but never proceed or sign the contract to anyone). This is the reason why many freelancer could not stay and work.

mendellucero
Community Member

You listened at last! UpWork was like a Gambling platform where we place our super valuable connects as bets. But now at least we will no longer gamble with expensive chips, how cool is that?... Robot Indifferent

core2plus
Community Member

Hi,

I hope y'all are doing well.

Recently, my profile got approved and I've rewarded 20 connects but surprisingly it shows zero (0) connects when I am applying to the jobs. Also, I've cleared the Readiness test and according to the new policy (applicable in December'20) I'm supposed to get free connects (apart from Rising talent) which is also not the case here.

Please fix these issues/bugs so that I can start working on the Upwork.
Looking forward.
Thanks.

russtice
Community Member

Thank you...... what a smart move on Upworks part. I have never been a proponent to Upwork removing free connects all together.

Since Upwork went to the paid connects system I completely stopped applying to jobs that I thought I would be an excellent canditate for. Simply because I didn't agree with the policy. So any work I did get was from invite only, most times the invites were not a perfect fit, but made it happen in some cases to have the work. 

So this is a step in the right direction in my eyes. 

petra_r
Community Member

Muhammad U wrote:

Recently, my profile got approved and I've rewarded 20 connects but surprisingly it shows zero (0) connects when I am applying to the jobs. Also, I've cleared the Readiness test and according to the new policy (applicable in December'20) I'm supposed to get free connects (apart from Rising talent) which is also not the case here.
Please fix these issues/bugs so that I can start working on the Upwork.

The new system has not been rolled out yet, it will be rolled out this month, and you don't get a Rising Talent badge for taking the Upwork Readiness test.

You may also be an exclusive member of your agency. That would mean you don't get the 20 connects that new individual freelancers get.