Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More information on profile issue

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Solange B Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
21 of 39

Unfortunately he is the one representing the company on this forum, therefore he needs to take responsability as any other team member of Upwork.

This is not "don't kill the messenger" this is his job. If he doesn't want to take responsibility or get "beaten up" as you called it, then he can call the CEO and tell him to start answering messages himself, you know what he'll say: "that's what I pay you for"

Simple as that. Otherwise we would never have a way to complaint... you couldn't talk to any customer service and express your frustration because "they're not to blame, they're just customer service".... that's exactly their job: take complaints and deal with it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
22 of 39

Well, and Garnor is after all Upwork's director of communication & education - so not 'just' a moderator.

So yes, communicating with us is part of his job. I am rather sure he is in charge of writing his own posts.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
23 of 39

@Ela K wrote:

Well, and Garnor is after all Upwork's director of communication & education - so not 'just' a moderator.

So yes, communicating with us is part of his job. I am rather sure he is in charge of writing his own posts.

I didn't know. Well in that case... Smiley Frustrated 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
24 of 39

@Garnor M wrote:

Q. How long did this issue last?

35 minutes total

From 16:25 UTC to 17:00 UTC

You really may want to double check on that because you have you have "a few dozen" facebook posts that prove this wrong. At this point I am not even convinced that is really has been fixed since few of the other "official" statements have been true.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
25 of 39

Thanks Krisztina, we have been continuing to monitor and check this.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Olivier P Member Since: May 25, 2015
26 of 39

All these problems are really worrying .  I am sorry but not sure that the safety of our data is set here and especially bank account info .

If we dont know what is the problem ( a hack or a bug, or something else ) it is really worrying .

Please make this website safe and working well BEFORE trying to make another changes or improvement

Highlighted
Community Guru
27 of 39

Hi Olivier,

We agree, problems like this are serious and that's why we have safeguards in place for your private and sensitive information. Your bank/payment information is secure and none of that information was shared as a result of this issue.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Olivier P Member Since: May 25, 2015
28 of 39

Ok thanks for your reply: i really hope that we will have a better website too:. Today it still down again and again !

Highlighted
Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
29 of 39

Of course, there has to be some cover up somewhere as the issue of data security breach is just as frightening as cyber terrorism.  But by reading lots of posts on Upwork's official FB page, some freelancer's closed group on FB as well... it seems that there's more than meet the eye.  Last thing Upwork wants is to be the next Ashley Madison - imagine what that would do to the business.  So, damage control to the max even if that meant mellowing down the facts a bit to not cause some major panic.  Just sayin'.

Highlighted
Community Guru
30 of 39

Hi Marissa,

The facts are that cached pages of some users were shown during the timeframe noted above. This means static HTML was being loaded by our content servers. Those pages would not allow users to take any actions, since viewers of the pages were not logged in as the users whose job feed was being shown. For the pages that were shown, at most profile picture, first and last name were shown for a brief period, and these are normally visible in freelancers’ public profile pages. Additionally some non-sensitive aggregate information on number of Connects and Proposals may have been displayed.

There's bound to be further speculation as you've seen on Facebook and here in the Community, but what I've noted above is indeed what occured and what we have resolved.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS