Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More information on profile issue

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
31 of 39

@Garnor M wrote:

The facts are that cached pages of some users were shown during the timeframe noted above. This means static HTML was being loaded by our content servers. 

Again, if the issue went on for 35 minutes, how can there be posts with screenshots and time stamps that show that the issue went on for several hours, Garnor? How is that possible? 

Community Guru
32 of 39

Garnor, when can we expect that email? Contrary to your "only few dozen users were affected" claim, every single person on our team was affected and not one has received an email. 

Community Leader
Nikolaos A Member Since: May 7, 2015
33 of 39

This is very worrying Jeferson. 

Luckily I didn't notice yet another person on my profile, but there are several bugs on the site during the day, like the top menu bar dissapears or the whole site gets offline at high-traffic periods.

Robert B Member Since: Jul 31, 2015
34 of 39

"

Q. How many people did it impact? 

It is likely that at most, cached job feed pages for a few dozen users were visible to freelancers who logged in during the 35 minute window."

Judging from all the posts I read yesterday on Upwork's Faceebook page this was much, much more than a few dozen users. What I want to know is specifics. What system will Upwork be implementing to prevent this from happening again? I would also like to know if there are any plans (if any), that Upwork is going to implement to create a more stable platform for both freelancers and employers. It's not stable and it almost seems like fingers are being placed into the cracks of the dam as they happen. A band aid approach if you will. I logged onto the site this morning only to find continuing issues with the site and the "Crikey" error page. How mcuh longer will this continue and how much more "patience" do we have to exercise?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
35 of 39

@Robert B wrote:

"

Q. How many people did it impact? 

It is likely that at most, cached job feed pages for a few dozen users were visible to freelancers who logged in during the 35 minute window."

Judging from all the posts I read yesterday on Upwork's Faceebook page this was much, much more than a few dozen users.

I read it to mean that "at most" a few dozen users' profiles were the ones everyone else ended up seeing a cache version of one page of.

That sounds right as several of us ended up in that one page of the same limited number of accounts.

I did not read it as saying that only afew dozen people "saw" those cached pages. The latter is clearlynot the case but it's also not what Garnor said (or what I read that him to have said)

I have seen this confirmed elsewhere with technical details so it sounds to me that it may well be what happened!

Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
36 of 39

That's right Petra. At most, the profile photos and names for a few dozen users were appearing to others (many of you here) logging into the site during the time this issue occured. 

We are in the process of calling or emailing those users.

Community Guru
Steve B Member Since: Jul 1, 2015
37 of 39

Thanks for communicating about the issue, Garnor!  Upwork needs to do more of what you just did. 

fyi I am seeing strange behavior today from the drop-down at the upper right... in addition to my own photo/account, the drop down displays one of my client's photos and I can select his account, along with one called "Confidential".  No disaster here, just fyi.  Upwork is probably already aware of it but thought I would mention.

Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
38 of 39

"... Thanks for your patience while we gathered more information on the issue you saw earlier today on Upwork. This issue was causing some users to see another member’s profile picture and Job Feed after logging in to the Upwork site..."

Thanks Garnor for your update.

However, you left out some very important part of the problem - we couldn't work at all ( at least, I know I couldn't). Sadly, I still can't work. It was a problem submitting work completed via the platform yesterday, and today, just like most of yesterday, I'm landing on a client's page. Then below his profile picture there's a list of some of my other clients. And even then I can't communicate with them even if I wanted to tell them I'm in problems. I'm getting, "No messages!" So I can't access any new milestone posted - yet we've been relying on the platform for that routine, i.e. I send completed work and almost immediately another milestone is sent my way.

I'm afraid resolving the mishap with the profiles may have given the impression we are home and dry whereas really we are still deep in problems. Any idea when we can log in and do business as normal?

Community Guru
39 of 39

Garnor, I reached out to two of the people who had their info exposed. Turns out they haven't received a call nor an email from Upwork. Hmmm. I was also rather surprised that after an entire weak of technical problems and complete stand still, nobody from the Upwork figured it may be a good idea to send out an email and apologize to your user base. Speaks volumes, doesn't it?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS