Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Community Homepage

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 11

Our Community homepage is getting a refresh! I'm excited for the release of our new homepage design that really emphasises the content we have here in the Community.

There were several goals to this redesign:

1. We wanted an actual landing page that is different from the other pages on the community where there is a clear call to action to login or signup.

2. We wanted new users to have direction on what the forums are and provide some guidance on where to post by showing the main boards and their descriptions.

3. We wanted the homepage to serve as a resource to find recent announcements, user solutions, and other helpful resources from our blog. The homepage will also showcase upcoming webinars, events, and other helpful content.

4. We updated the navigation bar to include your avatar and name so you can clearly distinguish if you're logged into the site. This was a major pain point for new community members. 

We will be doing a refresh on other pages of the community in 2020 and I'll be reaching out to community members for feedback when we start to plan those pages. 

Best!

Lena

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
2 of 11

Great update, Lena.

I recommend using Vimeo for the homepage video. Right now you're using a video from your web server and I can barely play a few seconds because obviously many people are checking the video at the same time.

By the way, if community.upwork.com and upwork.com reside on the same server, I would highly recommend to take the video down as quickly as possible because this is going to impact the entire server and website if people keep on playing the video, as it consumes your server's memory.

Highlighted
Community Manager
3 of 11

Thanks for the feedback Wassim, we will be updating the video link this week. 

-Lena

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
4 of 11

Before it would take me one click to see the latest threads from freelancers.

Now it takes four, painful clicks, on mobile.

Also, the new homepage is heavily branded.

I reckon this update, as is, will bring about significantly less usage of the community by freelancers.

If the team thought the community has been taking up too much resources while bringing in little ROI, and thus sought to take active steps to significantly reduce usage of the community, this is perfectly understandable.

Highlighted
Community Manager
5 of 11

Hi Abinadab, 

To access the latest threads by freelancers you can go to the freelancer board directly for the top navigation bar. Or, by accessing the freelancer link in the secondary navigation on the homepage. 

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
6 of 11

Anyways, I love that green notification icon.

It's really really super cool - the best thing I ever saw on Upwork this year. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Muhammad Zeeshan H Member Since: Dec 21, 2019
7 of 11

Old layout was better where we could nevigate easily to the latest topics with enough text to know about what is that all about. 
Anyway, keep experimenting. May be you end up with something brilliant than before. Current layout hasn't impressed me. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Michael S Member Since: Aug 29, 2017
8 of 11

I'm gonna side with the "navigation has gotten worse, not better" crowd.

With no quick and easy way to see recent topics, you end up having to go to each section individually to see if there's anything new. But the links to those sections are shoved down to the bottom of the page in favor of massive boxes for Announcements, New Solutions (if they're solved, a lot of people won't care, because unless they're having the same issue, there's nothing for them to contribute), and an empty Blog list.

To me, it seems like taking the annoying aspects of traditional forums and mixing them with the annoying aspects of Lithium/Khoros.

Highlighted
Community Manager
9 of 11

Hi Michael, 

You can still access the latest threads by clicking on Community Discussions in the navigation bar at the top of your screen. This will display the latest discussions on all boards in that area. At the same time, I understand the convenience of having the recent topics from all boards. We will be swapping out the recent blogs on the homepage and adding recent threads in that area. 

-Lena

Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Ahmed F Member Since: Nov 26, 2018
10 of 11

The new community homepage looks amazing! I like the new features so much, especially the new banner showing some useful statistics on the top, like how many members are online at the moment, and the number of total topics to browse. I find this a great add-on, isn't it?

⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS