Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Community Platform Coming Soon

Highlighted
Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
1 of 15

UPDATE: this thread has been closed from further replies.

Hi everyone, I'm excited to announce a change we're making to the oDesk Community area in the coming weeks. We're moving to a brand new platform, hosted by Lithium, a company with a strong reputation for building Communities with many successful brands including PayPal, Skype and PlayStation. We are making this update with one goal in mind: to give you a new Community area that allows you to quickly/easily participate in a fun and engaging way, with each other and with the oDesk team. We're adding some new features and widgets that bring you and your conversations to life and that let you find the most interesting, relevant and active discussions you're interested in. I've outlined some details around this launch below and I hope some of you will join the free webinar I'm hosting in a couple of weeks to walk you through a demo version of the site and to answer more of your questions (see the sign up links below). I'll also come back here to post an update on our progress, in particular as we near the launch date for the new Community platform. Thanks for being a member of our Community today. I look forward to continuing our relationship in bigger and better ways with our new Community platform, coming soon!

When is this happening?

We're aiming to launch in October, 2014. We'll publish a timeframe as we get closer to the launch, but we expect to put the current Community into read-only mode for a brief period of 1-2 days while we get our new Community up and running. Don't worry, when we're back up with the new platform you'll be able to access and reply on your old posts, going back a year.

What are some of the new features you're going to have?

Here's just a few things we have lined up:

• 1. Better Search!
  • 2. A "kudos" function that lets you quickly "like" a post or reply.
  • 3. Job skill level forums for discussions specific to IT & Programming, Writing & Translation, etc.
  • 4. Groups functionality for things like Country-level discussions.
  • 5. Better Search! Yes, Better Search!!
  • 6. Home page widgets to let you quickly find what's new and exciting in the Community.
  • 7. Inclusion of your oDesk thumbnail image alongside your posts and replies.
  • 8. An alert bar to notify you of significant site messages or other important information
  • ..and much more

What will be different?

In addition to the features listed above, you'll find a fresh new design that gives you an updated look and feel.

What about the discussions that are on the Community today?

We'll keep those. We're going to migrate over the last 12 months of discussions and replies to the new Community platform. We're doing our best to make sure nothing is lost.

How do I sign up? You already have. If you're using oDesk and our Community today, you'll be able to sign right in to the new Community.

Are you going to keep the old version available if I don't like the new Community? No, we're going to move directly to the new Community platform and will not keep the old version available. This makes it easier for migrating discussions and allows us to put all our energy and focus on making sure you have a great experience in our new Community.

Will my participation in the Community affect my profile/activity in the marketplace? No, like today your participation in the Community is not reflected on your work profile. That said, as this Community becomes more and more successful, we definitely want to find ways to give you more credit for your participation here.

How can I learn more? I'm going to be hosting a couple of webinars in the coming weeks to preview the platform with you and to answer any questions you have. You can click here to register for one of our upcoming sessions on Oct. 9th (10am-11am Pacific) or Oct. 10th (1pm-2pm Pacific). We'll also be keeping an eye on this thread and responding to your questions as they come in. So feel free to ask.

Tags (2)
Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
2 of 15
I don't want to sound negative-it is really nice that technical team thinks about innovations, but there are other, and I believe, much more important issues-like frequent bugs, problematic servers,hidden applications, etc. I mean, mistakes happen, but these first two (attachments not functioning for a week and platform not working for almost all day)are really something that affects not just the reputation of the freelancer, but also of the platform itself because reliability is really crucial for any online business. And yes, sure-glitches can always happen, but not the ones taking so long or happening so frequently. Again,thank you for always trying to improve things and I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but I think that these are some essential things that should be looked upon before doing anything else. I mean we can survive without new place to chat ,but we can't without functioning website.
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
3 of 15
Great news regarding the oDesk community site. Despite the "mad robots" I would still like to work via oDesk, which does not seem possible anymore because "experiments" by oDesk have resulted in useless freelancer search for jobs features, less invitations, etc., etc. etc. I had to resort to working thru other sites Smiley Sad Garnor, when will the oDesk client / freelancer site be replaced with a new site that works?
Ace Contributor
Dean a Member Since: Oct 25, 2009
4 of 15
Ronald hear you loud and clear odesk gone from good to bad very very fast Ronald share a list of those sites - they always say companies quickly learn when you vote with your wallet and in odesks case "time" Thanks
Community Guru
5 of 15
Yep, agreed! Making things worse for good freelancers is that those with impossible hours are appearing first in client searches for freelancers, AND they are the ones that were accepted into the three special groups (bronze? etc.) for freelancers based on hours worked!
Community Guru
6 of 15
"Ouch"!...The situation regarding attachments.
Community Leader
Sandeep C Member Since: Oct 24, 2013
7 of 15
Better Search. Wow.
Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
8 of 15
The structure of this forum is terrible, hard to keep up with topics that get too long. I just hope they don't make a replica of Elance forum.
Ace Contributor
Sandor M Member Since: Apr 26, 2011
9 of 15
Better search where? In forums? Honestly, who cares? I'm not here for community. I believe other freelancers aren't here for community either. Clients didn't come for the community. So whats the point? Why spend resources on it?
Community Guru
10 of 15
Forums are primarily for marketing purposes; a means to increase participation in the core site. The "New Community Platform" hosted by the power of Lithium will increase community membership roles, which will supposedly increase business on the core site.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS