New Educational Pop-ups in Messages

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Manager
1,698 Posts

New Educational Pop-ups in Messages

[ Edited ]

To help educate and keep our users protected on Upwork, we are now flagging certain words and phrases in Messages to remind our users to stay secure.  The pop-ups feature educational information about payment protection, circumvention and other features of Messages, which may be helpful especially for our newer users on the platform.

We are not actively reading your messages, the pop-ups are automatically triggered by keywords. Although the keywords are highlighted on your end, nothing in your message is altered. Your messages are still sent as normal and are viewable by the other party.

If you have any questions about the pop-ups or our  Terms of Service, let us know!

Examples messages:

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 4.05.35 PM.png

Untitled
Community Guru
858 Posts

Re: New Educational Pop-ups in Messages

Hi Lena, 

Is there a chance Upwork can limit these popups or allow us to disable this feature? I am asking because last time I've been discussing a project with a client who needed to integrate a "payment gateway" on his site, and these popups started to show up everytime we mentioned things like "Paypal", "Payment", "Bank", "Credit Card" and almost everything finance related. This became a bit frustrating because the nature of the job was payments related. 

Best regards, 

Wassim

Community Guru
858 Posts

Obviously this has been changed since the last time it occurred for me, because by looking at the screenshot it seems we can now hide these messages for 30 days. Many thanks! 

Community Guru
2,461 Posts

[ Edited ]

The thing to keep in mind, Wassim, as I imagine you do, is that Upwork will robo-read your texts no matter what. You can turn off flags to you, but not the automatic flags to Upwork. So as has been advised here many times, we need to make sure any mention of the kind of flaggable terms you list is placed in context.

Your context is pretty self-explanatory. Contractors who are blindsided by requests for circumvention may be grateful for the reminder to immediately repudiate them.

Best,
MM

Community Guru
858 Posts

Thanks Michael. It's unfortunate that I have to worry about the machine (Upwork) rather than the human (Client) I am trying to communicate with.

Community Guru
366 Posts

Please let us turn this off PERMANENTLY. It's beyond irritating.

Community Guru
241 Posts

Nifty feature, but please make sure that Upwork acts on any "suggestions to pay through PayPal" and suchlike, rather than me having to flag a client before he or she has chosen a freelancer.

Community Guru
1,705 Posts

I'd also like to be able to switch off the reminders permanently, not just for 30 days. I can see what you're trying to do with them and I like the idea, but I think they're going to get annoying over time.