Re: Upwork ID Verification Badge

Highlighted
Muhammad R Member Since: Mar 13, 2017
11 of 174
Hi Goran . I am using Google Chrome
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
12 of 174

Thank you for the follow up Muhammad,

Our team will check this from our end and reach out to you via ticket to assist you further.

Untitled
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
13 of 174

So let me get this straight. There will be a new "feature" that allows Top Rated freelancers to "showcase" that their identity has been verified - but there are verification requirements already in place for many freelancers. Those of us who have been around for many years, who haven't been caught up in that requirement yet, are now being asked to voluntarily go through this process, in return for whice we get a badge on our profiles.

But not everyone gets that badge at the same time, because it's being "slowly rolled out."

If Upwork considers it a "perk" for Top Rated freelancers to "showcase" identity verification, but is rolling this "perk" out selectively, what are the factors that determine which Top Rated freelancers are at the front of the line?

Or is this just a way to persuade us to comply with a process that results in Upwork storing even more of our personal information, creating a demand for a rather meaningless badge that clients will also now be able to require before a freelancer can apply for a job?

Also, what, exactly, are you "checking" for when an copy of a government ID is uploaded? Do you have access to government databases or something? Or are you just verifying that an individual is in posession of something that looks official?

Ace Contributor
Mijula B Member Since: Jul 17, 2017
14 of 174

I got an Identity Verified badge but I don't have a Passport. Is it ok to submit my citizenship Id?

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
15 of 174

Hi Mijula, 

A government-issued ID can be used to verify your identity. 

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
16 of 174

During the onboarding process for the Premium Programs, I had to participate in some sort of automated video call - I had to answer some questions on camera. Why doesn't that count as verification?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
17 of 174

Hi Ela,

The process you mentioned is different, managed by a different team and with a different goal, entailing a different procedure, that's why it can't count as completing the process Lena described. In addition, not all Top Rated freelancers have gone through the process you completed and we need to ensure the process is the same for all eligible freelancers.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
18 of 174

Vladimir G wrote:

The process you mentioned is different, managed by a different team and with a different goal, entailing a different procedure...

And there's Upwork in a nutshell.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
19 of 174

I see, thanks, Vladimir, for clarifying. Although I do find that answer rather odd... as the goal was to verify my identity - at least that's what I thought at the time.

Anyway, until it's my turn to properly verify my identity, my profile and those of many other TR providers will give off the impression that we are somehow less trustworthy than those with a badge, as no client will know WHY some freelancers have been verified and others haven't.

As somebody already pointed out in this thread: why not verify all eligible freelancers (or at least give them the chance to complete the process) BEFORE displaying the badge on anybody's profile? You know, level playing field etc? Isn't that just common sense?

Instead of - yet again - introducing differentiators that nobody knows how to interpret (remember the introduction of the ominous blue bar and how nobody knew what it meant?).

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
20 of 174

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Ela,

The process you mentioned is different, managed by a different team and with a different goal, entailing a different procedure, that's why it can't count as completing the process Lena described. In addition, not all Top Rated freelancers have gone through the process you completed and we need to ensure the process is the same for all eligible freelancers.

So Vlad ... please clarify. It sounds like Upwork doesn't think one hand should be talking to the other, is that right? That everyone should be striving towards a common goal? No wonder everything is going to you know where in a handbasket.

I swear everytime we get a response to our questions, it only brings up more questions. In this case, when a mod mentions "the team" ... we now know there are 15 million teams, and not a one of them knows what the other is doing.

Why not wait, as Ela suggests ... oh, ummm because that would make too much sense. I don't care about a little checkmark on my profile. What I do care about is that the proposals I spend so much time crafting are being judged by a clueless algorithm, and more than likely trashed, judging by how dismal 2018.

ETA: Oh yeah, and how about getting rid of that annoying popup asking me to tell you how Upwork is doing. Seriously? We know now know, without a doubt, how little you actually care about what we have to say.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS