cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New Identity Verification Badge available soon for Top Rated Freelancers

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
31 of 262

Virginia, Isabelle is correct. Once verified you should not have to go thru the process again.

Having FLers verified makes sense and I'm all in favor of the process.  Optimally it should be applied first to new FLers as Isabelle noted.

Lena wrote: "Some Top Rated freelancers may have already verified their identity with Upwork in the past and may see a verified badge on their profile once this feature launches." 

1. Why wouldn't all verified FLer profiles automatically display the badge. Simultaneously.  

2. Those who were verified thru eLance already have a badge, Upwork just doesn't display it.

Unless, of course, there was a glitch in the system and/or the algorithm got messed up and Upwork lost all records of those verified.

@ Lena or a knowledgeable mod:  Does the resurrection of this thread mean that all of us who went through the verification process previously have to go thru the hassle another time?  If so, W-H-Y?

This is illogical, time consuming, and costly from both FLers and U's perspective.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
32 of 262

"Why wouldn't all verified FLer profiles automatically display the badge. Simultaneously"

Wendy, that's the $64,000 question.

Community Guru
33 of 262

Isabelle Anne A wrote:

I think this is a good step because of all the scammers on the site. I had to provide my government ID when I started out on oDesk, and I had to go through the video verification process (2-3 min) a while back when they were "randomly" selecting people to do that. So I've already got my verification badge.

However, I'm a little confused as to why this is being rolled out slowly ... Isn't it just as important -- if not more -- to get new freelancers verified? Top Rated freelancers are usually legit, but there are so many obviously fake and duplicate profiles that need to be prioritized for verification.

@Virginia, if you've gone through the verification process, I don't see why you should have to do it again. Hasn't the verification badge appeared on your profile yet?

Doing a verification right at the start, when someone signs up, seems like such a simple way to handle this. But Upwork doesn't do that ... why they don't is anybody's guess. I've always said that their goal to verify every single person here can never be achieved because of the numbers allowed to sign up every single day.

Re: If you've gone through the verification process, I don't see why you should have to do it again. Hasn't the verification badge appeared on your profile yet?

There have been a fair number of freelancers coming to the forums complaining that they've had to go through this process twice ... hence my reply to Lena.

Yes, apparently ... it has appeared. Though I wouldn't call a little blue checkmark a "badge". Unless a client actually hovers over it, it's just a checkmark (unless I'm missing something). Why not include text, as you do on rising talent profiles? Well, I'm happy to know I won't have to go through it again.

Ace Contributor
Dean P Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
34 of 262

So UpWork is rolling out a profile feature that should give the user a competitive advantage. Some users already have access to it, others might have to wait several months until they get it. How is this fair?

Highlighted
Community Guru
35 of 262

Dean P wrote:

So UpWork is rolling out a profile feature that would give the user a competitive advantage. Some users already have access to it, others might have to wait several months until they get it. How is this fair?

I seriously doubt this will give me any advantage, as most of the programs aimed to help TR freelancers has never yielded demonstrably good results (at least not in my case). But hey, I'll come back and report if I'm suddenly flooded with job offers.

Ace Contributor
36 of 262

Virginia F wrote:

Dean P wrote:

So UpWork is rolling out a profile feature that would give the user a competitive advantage. Some users already have access to it, others might have to wait several months until they get it. How is this fair?

I seriously doubt this will give me any advantage, as most of the programs aimed to help TR freelancers has never yielded demonstrably good results (at least not in my case). But hey, I'll come back and report if I'm suddenly flooded with job offers.

Please don't try to shift the focus towards speculations about the feature's effectiveness. That doesn't have anything to do with my point.

Community Guru
37 of 262

Dean P wrote:

Virginia F wrote:

Dean P wrote:

Please don't try to shift the focus towards speculations about the feature's effectiveness. That doesn't have anything to do with my point.

Since you mentioned "competitive advantage" ... I thought that was one of your points. I can't address your other point; of course Upwork should be able to apply that checkmark right away, to all TR freelancers, as Wendy pointed out. Let's hope they do.

Ace Contributor
38 of 262

Virginia F wrote:

Dean P wrote:

Virginia F wrote:

Dean P wrote:

Since you mentioned "competitive advantage" ... I thought that was one of your points. I can't address your other point; of course Upwork should be able to apply that checkmark right away, to all TR freelancers, as Wendy pointed out. Let's hope they do.

Absolutely agree with this, Virginia.

As for the feature itself, I'd say anyone that's familiar with the origins and evolution of the verified badge would consider it an advantageous profile detail.

I mean sure, we still look for the blue tick mark up there to verify that Elon Musk did actually tweet that but for many it has turned into a status symbol since it's something rising influencers often strive to acquire.

The average client wouldn't go ahead and say "Uh, so this guy's real name is indeed John Doe, OK...". Instead, they are hard-wired to say "Alright, this guy is legit".

This has to be the train of thought of whoever proposed, developed and approved this feature. Otherwise, it would have been provided to new freelancers explicitly or inclusively. Hence the reason why it hasn't been supported by a text label, as you stated in a previous post - it's a widely-recognized symbol of legitimacy and status.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
39 of 262

It seems to me that established top- rated FLers have far less a need for a validating badge than do newcomers. 

Upwork, if the intent is to 1) protect clients and 2) assist new FLers > ergo, increase U. earnings, it would make financial and business sense to verify new people.

Top rated crew are established; our profiles, portfolios, and jobs speak for themselves.

@ Dean, Virginia was not trying to shuttle your point aside.

Ace Contributor
Viacheslav K Member Since: Sep 9, 2015
40 of 262

Got it, thanks Smiley Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS