Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New Identity Verification Badge available soon for Top Rated Freelancers

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
41 of 174

Hi everyone,

This badge is not a replacement for the verification we have in place today helping to keep Upwork safe for all users by minimizing risk and fraud. It’s a way for freelancers to show clients that they’ve verified their identities.

We understand there are a few concerns around both the timing of this rollout and it not being available to all Top Rated freelancers at once. The reason for this gradual rollout is to help ensure a seamless verification experience and that our agents can handle the additional volume, given the issues and frustration that have been shared around some of our other verification processes. We know this badge is important to you and will try to roll it out as quickly as possible.

Note that passing both webcam verification and ID verification is necessary before you can receive an Identity Verified badge. If you are Top Rated and have successfully verified both in the past, you may have already received an Identity Verified badge on your profile.

Not all verifications you’ve completed in the past count towards this badge because our verification solutions have and will continue to evolve to keep up with the latest security systems. We apologize for the inconvenience, but in order to receive the badge, you may need to verify your identity again.

Lastly – the badge is being rolled out to the Top Rated community now because the majority of jobs on Upwork go to Top Rated freelancers. Upwork receives more than 10,000 applications to join daily. We do not have the capacity to verify and badge all new users as they register, so we’re starting with freelancers who do the most work on our platform.

Untitled
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
42 of 174

Lena,

First - thank you for responding to the concerns cited in this thread.

Second - we do acknowledge and understand the time and man power constraints you mentioned.

Third, what you did not fully answer were the concerns about the 'badge' being doled out piecemeal.  Would it not be more equitable and more effective to make all Top Rated FLers go thru the process before publishing the check mark / aka badge on profiles?  Technically it is simple. Program the badge to not show on any profile until everyone impacted is covered.  It's no different that hiding a webpage until the site owner wants to publish it.

Rafeh G Member Since: Feb 23, 2014
43 of 174

I got an invitation for "identity verfication badge" and had a video chat verfication almost 24 hours ago however still awaiting badge, so how long does it usually take the badge to appear? My understanding was once the process is completed it is visible right away. 

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
44 of 174

Rafeh G, your profile is marked private so forgive a question or two.

1. There are 2 verification processes to the best of my understanding.

A. one to prove you are who you say you are > this is applicable for all FLers

B. the one being discussed - and applicable only to Top Rated FLers.

C. are you Top Rated?

Rafeh G Member Since: Feb 23, 2014
45 of 174

Hello Wendy, 

I am among the Top rated and active since 2014 so all the inital verifications were done earlier. Yesterday I recieved the invitation for the "blue checkmark badge" and I am referring to that as well .

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
46 of 174

Hi Rafeh, 

I would like to confirm that both process that you went through (submitting an ID, and doing a short video call) was for the Identity Verification Badge. 

I'll check this with the team and will get back to you once I have more information about your badge.

ETA: Hi Rafeh, the team has confirmed that if all else is okay, you will receive the badge on your profile within 24-48 hours. 

-Avery
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Marija J Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
47 of 174

Hi, 

I have been verified on Elance and had a badge and also merged that profile with this current one. I've never been asked for an ID verification on Upwork so far and I have been Top Rated for almost 4 years. Will the Elance verification count or will I have to go through the steps again when offered the posibility?

Thank you!

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
48 of 174

Hi Marija,

Thanks for the question. A different service and process was used for verifying freelancers' identity on Elance and you'll have the opportunity to verify your identity once you receive a notification on your account.

Ace Contributor
Ms S Member Since: Nov 25, 2017
49 of 174

Is it compulsory to have a video chat to get the Identity Verified badge? Will only verified by Government ID not do that ? What if I'm not interested in Video Chat ? Can Upwork suspend my account if I don't enroll for video chat ? thanks.

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
50 of 174

Hi Ms,

Trust and safety is our priority on Upwork. In the chat, the agent will be able to address your questions and concerns and assist you with the process.

If you don't complete the process your account will not be affected in any way, but the badge will not be awarded on your profile as well. If you have any additional questions let me know, thank you.

Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS