Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Regarding Identity Verified Batch

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
51 of 252

Lena E wrote:

Hi everyone,

This badge is not a replacement for the verification we have in place today helping to keep Upwork safe for all users by minimizing risk and fraud. It’s a way for freelancers to show clients that they’ve verified their identities.

We understand there are a few concerns around both the timing of this rollout and it not being available to all Top Rated freelancers at once. The reason for this gradual rollout is to help ensure a seamless verification experience and that our agents can handle the additional volume, given the issues and frustration that have been shared around some of our other verification processes. We know this badge is important to you and will try to roll it out as quickly as possible.

Missing the point, Lena - this badge is not at all important to us. The way you're rolling it out makes it SEEM important, and I'm sure that UW will offer new filters and algorithms to clients to give them a (false) sense of security in working with freelancers. By only granting this badge to certain people at certain times, without any transparency as to how those people are selected, you're creating a meaningless tier of preference that leaves some Top Rated freelancers behind others, for no good reason.

You say that you want to get the people who are working the most verified ahead of new people - but that makes no sense. Our work histories, ratings, and professional conduct are what create client confidence, not a randomly-applied blue checkmark. By inserting this new goalpost, UW is confusing the issue for clients and freelancers alike - freelancers with a blue checkmark will be seen as more trustworthy or legitimate than those without, but we have no control over WHEN we will have the opportunity to "earn" that checkmark.

Denis V Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
52 of 252

Hello. I passed the video identification call and uploaded an official government-issued ID (Pasport) 2 years ago, but I still does't have this badge. I know new Top Rated freelancer who have this badge, but i'm still without it. Should I pass the video identification one more time?

Thanks

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
53 of 252

Hi Denis,

We are gradually rolling this feature out to Top Rated freelancers over the next few months so some freelancers may not be eligible right now. When you become eligible, we’ll notify you when you log into the site.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
54 of 252

Hi,

It's saying that my verification was unsuccessful, and that I can reapply at some stage in the future. Can someone be more specfic as to what that means as, as an English person with an unusual name I am occasionally asked if I'm misrepresenting my nationality and the badge would be quite useful. 

Many thanks.

Community Guru
Yeasir A Member Since: May 16, 2017
59 of 252

Hi,

Why I am not receiving the email regarding the Identity verified batch? As I am a top rated freelancer so I am eligible for it. I have done the ID verification 7 months ago. I am top rated for the last 8 months! So, basically I am eligible!

My concern is that I saw a freelancer who is a friend of mine got verified batch and he is only top rated for 2 months. So, why it's taking time for me?

I know Upwork is slowly rolling it out to Top Rated freelancers but what if on the next month I loose my top-rated status for any kind of reason. This is something Upwork should concern on. Because my 8 months of being top rated would go in vain, and other 1 or 2 months are resulting in success!

Ace Contributor
Amrin S Member Since: Jun 23, 2018
59 of 252

Hi Yeasir Arafat,

You are absolutely right!

Upwork team should get concern on this. They should acknowledge the fact that you just described.

The "Injustice should be stopped"

Community Guru
Yeasir A Member Since: May 16, 2017
59 of 252

Thanks for understanding the fact I described!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
59 of 252

What's the big deal? How do you expect the badge to improve your life?

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
59 of 252

For anyone impatient to receive a badge (checkmark actually), if you haven't changed your password recently, I suggest you do that now. As soon as I changed my password yesterday, I was given a chance to verify my identity. Maybe it's just coincidence, but you should change your password anyway if you haven't changed it since the last Upwork incident.

60 of 252
Sorry, I changed the password but didn't work.