Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Identity Verification Badge available soon for Top Rated Freelancers

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
31 of 119

Dean P wrote:

So UpWork is rolling out a profile feature that would give the user a competitive advantage. Some users already have access to it, others might have to wait several months until they get it. How is this fair?

I seriously doubt this will give me any advantage, as most of the programs aimed to help TR freelancers has never yielded demonstrably good results (at least not in my case). But hey, I'll come back and report if I'm suddenly flooded with job offers.

Ace Contributor
Dean P Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
32 of 119

Virginia F wrote:

Dean P wrote:

So UpWork is rolling out a profile feature that would give the user a competitive advantage. Some users already have access to it, others might have to wait several months until they get it. How is this fair?

I seriously doubt this will give me any advantage, as most of the programs aimed to help TR freelancers has never yielded demonstrably good results (at least not in my case). But hey, I'll come back and report if I'm suddenly flooded with job offers.

Please don't try to shift the focus towards speculations about the feature's effectiveness. That doesn't have anything to do with my point.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
33 of 119

Dean P wrote:

Virginia F wrote:

Dean P wrote:

Please don't try to shift the focus towards speculations about the feature's effectiveness. That doesn't have anything to do with my point.

Since you mentioned "competitive advantage" ... I thought that was one of your points. I can't address your other point; of course Upwork should be able to apply that checkmark right away, to all TR freelancers, as Wendy pointed out. Let's hope they do.

Ace Contributor
Dean P Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
34 of 119

Virginia F wrote:

Dean P wrote:

Virginia F wrote:

Dean P wrote:

Since you mentioned "competitive advantage" ... I thought that was one of your points. I can't address your other point; of course Upwork should be able to apply that checkmark right away, to all TR freelancers, as Wendy pointed out. Let's hope they do.

Absolutely agree with this, Virginia.

As for the feature itself, I'd say anyone that's familiar with the origins and evolution of the verified badge would consider it an advantageous profile detail.

I mean sure, we still look for the blue tick mark up there to verify that Elon Musk did actually tweet that but for many it has turned into a status symbol since it's something rising influencers often strive to acquire.

The average client wouldn't go ahead and say "Uh, so this guy's real name is indeed John Doe, OK...". Instead, they are hard-wired to say "Alright, this guy is legit".

This has to be the train of thought of whoever proposed, developed and approved this feature. Otherwise, it would have been provided to new freelancers explicitly or inclusively. Hence the reason why it hasn't been supported by a text label, as you stated in a previous post - it's a widely-recognized symbol of legitimacy and status.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
35 of 119

It seems to me that established top- rated FLers have far less a need for a validating badge than do newcomers. 

Upwork, if the intent is to 1) protect clients and 2) assist new FLers > ergo, increase U. earnings, it would make financial and business sense to verify new people.

Top rated crew are established; our profiles, portfolios, and jobs speak for themselves.

@ Dean, Virginia was not trying to shuttle your point aside.

Ace Contributor
Viacheslav K Member Since: Sep 9, 2015
36 of 119

Got it, thanks Smiley Happy

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
37 of 119

Hi everyone,

This badge is not a replacement for the verification we have in place today helping to keep Upwork safe for all users by minimizing risk and fraud. It’s a way for freelancers to show clients that they’ve verified their identities.

We understand there are a few concerns around both the timing of this rollout and it not being available to all Top Rated freelancers at once. The reason for this gradual rollout is to help ensure a seamless verification experience and that our agents can handle the additional volume, given the issues and frustration that have been shared around some of our other verification processes. We know this badge is important to you and will try to roll it out as quickly as possible.

Note that passing both webcam verification and ID verification is necessary before you can receive an Identity Verified badge. If you are Top Rated and have successfully verified both in the past, you may have already received an Identity Verified badge on your profile.

Not all verifications you’ve completed in the past count towards this badge because our verification solutions have and will continue to evolve to keep up with the latest security systems. We apologize for the inconvenience, but in order to receive the badge, you may need to verify your identity again.

Lastly – the badge is being rolled out to the Top Rated community now because the majority of jobs on Upwork go to Top Rated freelancers. Upwork receives more than 10,000 applications to join daily. We do not have the capacity to verify and badge all new users as they register, so we’re starting with freelancers who do the most work on our platform.

Untitled
Community Guru
38 of 119

Lena,

First - thank you for responding to the concerns cited in this thread.

Second - we do acknowledge and understand the time and man power constraints you mentioned.

Third, what you did not fully answer were the concerns about the 'badge' being doled out piecemeal.  Would it not be more equitable and more effective to make all Top Rated FLers go thru the process before publishing the check mark / aka badge on profiles?  Technically it is simple. Program the badge to not show on any profile until everyone impacted is covered.  It's no different that hiding a webpage until the site owner wants to publish it.

Rafeh G Member Since: Feb 23, 2014
39 of 119

I got an invitation for "identity verfication badge" and had a video chat verfication almost 24 hours ago however still awaiting badge, so how long does it usually take the badge to appear? My understanding was once the process is completed it is visible right away. 

Community Guru
40 of 119

Rafeh G, your profile is marked private so forgive a question or two.

1. There are 2 verification processes to the best of my understanding.

A. one to prove you are who you say you are > this is applicable for all FLers

B. the one being discussed - and applicable only to Top Rated FLers.

C. are you Top Rated?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS