Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Identity Verification Badge available soon for Top Rated Freelancers

Community Guru
Yeasir A Member Since: May 16, 2017
71 of 280
Hi Md,
Upwork is rolling the verified badge among the top rated freelancers, but currently the process is slow. But Upwork will email you regarding it when you are eligible for the process.
So, wait for the email.
The process has 2 steps,
1. ID verification
2. Video call verification
Md Tanvir F Member Since: May 19, 2016
72 of 280

Thanks Yeasir, for your the details regarding it.

Community Guru
73 of 280
Welcome, Md Tanvir.
If you have any further questions, you can ask here or on the announcement thread!
Dmytro K Member Since: Mar 19, 2017
74 of 280

regarding government ID can I use foreign passport (there is no address, but there is name and surname in latin)?

Dmitrii P Member Since: Feb 7, 2018
75 of 280

Hey guys!
I was gladly notified about that I can get the Identity Verification Badge.

But after I went to Settings -> Identity Verification I got this error about an inability to upload my ID (on the screenshot).

Could you help me with that?

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
76 of 280

Hi Dmitrii, 

At this time, freelancers who do not pass ID verification are unable to be Identity Verified. Our team is working on a fix, and in a few weeks, you'll see the ability to re-try verifying your identity through the Identity Verification page of your Settings page (Settings > Identity Verification). 

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
77 of 280

More and more pointless comments and other threads about the mechanics of verifying one's identity have been merged to this glutted announcement thread, perhaps in an effort to disguise the fact that moderators refuse to answer the most basic question:

How are you determining who gets access to the badge first?

Followed by the relevant issue:

Why has Upwork decided that this feature is at all necessary, especially since it is being rolled out in such and uneven and haphazard manner with measurable disadvantage to those freelancers you've put at the back of the line?

Community Guru
78 of 280
"Why has Upwork decided that this feature is at all necessary, especially since it is being rolled out in such and uneven and haphazard manner with measurable disadvantage to those freelancers you've put at the back of the line?"
Jess, totally agreed with you!
Those freelancers are being deprived!
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
79 of 280

Jess C wrote:

Why has Upwork decided that this feature is at all necessary, especially since it is being rolled out in such and uneven and haphazard manner with measurable disadvantage to those freelancers you've put at the back of the line?

Upwork always operates at the straining edge of resources necessary to deliver their services. It's not surprising that a labor-intensive initiative would strain those resources to the breaking point. Perhaps someone should let them know that one alternative to a protracted rollout that is arbitrary, unspecified, and potentially harmful to users would be to scale up staffing to meet the labor demand. I understand there are agencies available to help an organization do this.

Community Guru
Catherine M Member Since: Jan 20, 2017
80 of 280

They gave me a choice to verify either with ID or video verification. I tried verifying with my ID but because the correct address is on the back, I sent them the front and back of my card. When I did this, they told me they couldn't verify my identity. They don't take in consideration that some of us may have to show the front AND back of the card. I then tried to go back and verify via video verification and was told that I need to verify my ID before I could do a video verification. What?!?!?

I contacted customer support and said that there are issues with the verification system and that it will be "weeks" before I can try to verify again. Huh?!?! When I asked him if I could just video verify, he said "no" and that I would have to wait until my turn comes around again PLUS my ID would still need to be verified although there is no system in place for front and back verification. If it's going to be this difficult, I would rather be unverified. I wish Upwork thought things through before rolling them out.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS