Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Identity Verification Badge available soon for Top Rated Freelancers

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
81 of 280

Catherine M wrote:

They gave me a choice to verify either with ID or video verification. I tried verifying with my ID but because the correct address is on the back, I sent them the front and back of my card. When I did this, they told me they couldn't verify my identity. They don't take in consideration that some of us may have to show the front AND back of the card. I then tried to go back and verify via video verification and was told that I need to verify my ID before I could do a video verification. What?!?!?

I contacted customer support and said that there are issues with the verification system and that it will be "weeks" before I can try to verify again. Huh?!?! When I asked him if I could just video verify, he said "no" and that I would have to wait until my turn comes around again PLUS my ID would still need to be verified although there is no system in place for front and back verification. If it's going to be this difficult, I would rather be unverified. I wish Upwork thought things through before rolling them out.

That's so upsetting. I have to admit that my ID and video verification processes were very quick and efficient, but they happened some time ago, and things have been going downhill since.

I wonder why they gave you the "choice" when the OP says that you have to do both ID and video verification. Conflicting info as usual.

Jannatul F Member Since: Mar 20, 2018
82 of 280
Why I am seeing this error. Firstly I tried to upload image of 500kb. But they send me error that the image is too small. Then I upload a bigger version then I am facing following error. why? and when I can get submit option again? FYI: I tried with my passport.

"We’re unable to process your ID at this time. You may be able to add your ID again later"

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
83 of 280

Hi Catherine,

I'm sorry about the delay in responding to your comment. I checked your conversation with Customer Support and can confirm the agent shared correct information. I see they confirmed that in order to move to the video verification stage a freelancer needs to successfully complete the ID verification part of the process.

Please try resubmitting your ID once the option becomes available on your account again and let us know if you need further assistance.

Jannatul F Member Since: Mar 20, 2018
84 of 280
Do you know or have any idea to submit that again?
Volodymyr K Member Since: Nov 20, 2016
85 of 280

Hi,

I have applied for this badge and uploaded my passport image, but looks like something went wrong.

Now I see for almost a week message "We’re unable to process your ID at this time. You may be able to add your ID again later"

And the question is when I will be able to upload my ID again?

Thanks,

Volodymyr

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
86 of 280

Hi Volodymyr,

At this time, freelancers who do not pass ID verification are not able to become Identity Verified. Our team is working on a fix, and you'll see the ability to try again on your Identity Verification page (within Settings) in a few weeks. Thank you

Untitled
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
87 of 280

Freelancers, beware, don't be too curious!

This is what happened to me this evening: I was on Upwork and a message popped up "Earn an Identity Verified badge to make your profile more trustworthy – available to Top Rated freelancers now. Get started." Well, as I'm curious, I decided to give it a go.

The first part was easy, I uploaded a scanned copy of my French "carte d'identité". Pressed the button CONTINUE, and that was it, the nightmare started.  

This is the message I got:

Issue with your browser.png

Yes, my beloved computer doesn't have a camera, I don't ever need one. I pressed CONTINUE, and was then informed that until I managed to have the video verification done, I would not be able to apply to any job. I was then given a choice between 4 ways of contacting upwork. 

I first tried the phone, but the wait was too long

Then I chose to chat with a Customer Support agent, who confirmed that I could not just use a smartphone for the video call, and suggested that I got a webcam. I was thinking about going to a store to get a webcam just to finish the ID verification. What a waste!

I suddenly remembered about my husband's old laptop. It's at least 20 years old, but I thought it might have a camera. That laptop is quite something, it takes forever to get going, and makes plenty of noise. Luckily, Google Chrome had been installed on it and I didn't have to install it. Logging into Upwork was another trick, as it has a qwerty keyboard and I'm used to azerty keyboards. I had to enter my code at least 5 times. 

Finally I was on Upwork, but the message about Earning an Identity Verified badge was not appearing. I tried a few tricks, and finally managed to be on the right page to continue with the video call. I wasn't sure the camera and the mike would work, but a miracle happened, I was able to get the video call done and now I have a little blue badge on my profile. 

I don't have anything against this ID verification thing, but I wish Upwork would warn people about the need to have a camera on their computer in order to proceed to the video call BEFORE they decide to start the ID verification.

What did I learn? Try not to be so curious in the future. Will I remember not to be so curious in the future?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
88 of 280

Sorry to hear verifying your identity was such a hassle for you, Luce. I'm glad you were able to complete the process and get the badge though. I've merged your post to this announcement thread and will share your feedback with the team.

The process does consist of two parts, the ID verification and a short video call (for which a web-camera is required.)

Screenshot_2.png

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Catherine M Member Since: Jan 20, 2017
89 of 280

Hi Valeria,

Unless Upwork makes it possible for me to show the front AND back of my ID card, I will never be verified. Is there a fix in progress for this? 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
90 of 280

Hi Catherine,

The team is currently working on the process that will allow freelancers to re-submit their IDs for verification. We'll let you know once that's available and further assist you with verifying your ID.

We appreciate your patience.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS