cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New Rate Tip Feature

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
31 of 42

Hi Heaven,

Yes, the Rate Tip feature is still in place. It's being tested with a small group of freelancers currently. In the future we may introduce it to more freelancers.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Mariette R Member Since: Jan 22, 2015
32 of 42

I have seen this pop up now and again. Makes me smile; however, each time have tried with a client, did not get the job and that because the client can clearly see on my profile what I have charged before and that is wha they tend to go on when they invite you for work - if you then send them a rate that is higher, they just don't reply.

I am finding it hard to raise my fees and luckily once I get a client, they tend to stick for a while.

I am today wondering how the people that take on all the small "one-off' projects that abound on Upwork are going to survive with the new 20% fee being levied on these. This is going to change the face of Upwork, I for one may change my personal fee system to a 10% higher rate on the first $500, falling to normal price once that is earnt.

Would love to kow what others think.

: )

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
33 of 42

@Mariette R wrote:

....falling to normal price once that is earnt. 

Why? If you can get that price (or better), you can continue to get it.

Best,

Michael

Ace Contributor
Ona J B Member Since: Jun 23, 2015
34 of 42

I've not had a problem getting jobs. Oh, sure, I don't get hired for every application -- but I keep busy. I have several regular clients. My originals, I left at the price for which I was hired (The lowest is at $8.00 an hour -- that person has been a client for a while), while my highest rates are at $15.00 an hour, or two cents per word. If I really like the job, I might go as low as one cent per word. I've not had any negative feedback from clients.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
35 of 42

@Ona J B wrote:

while my highest rates are at $15.00 an hour, or two cents per word. If I really like the job, I might go as low as one cent per word. I've not had any negative feedback from clients.

Gosh, since you work for almost free, receiving bad ratings from your clients would really be the last straw :-)

OK, no seriously, what's your true per word rate?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
36 of 42

@Ona J B wrote:

I've not had a problem getting jobs. Oh, sure, I don't get hired for every application -- but I keep busy. I have several regular clients. My originals, I left at the price for which I was hired (The lowest is at $8.00 an hour -- that person has been a client for a while), while my highest rates are at $15.00 an hour, or two cents per word. If I really like the job, I might go as low as one cent per word. I've not had any negative feedback from clients.

Why stop there? Soon you can pay them to write. 

Ace Contributor
Letizia F Member Since: Mar 18, 2012
37 of 42

Hello everyone,

I have this feature in action, and it is very interesting indeed.

However, I must confess that  - although very attractive - I never used it so far, at that's for a simple reason: if my profile displays that I charge 45$ /hr, and I get suggested to bid a $55/hr for a particular job, I would feel very uneasy to do that, as that client could legitimately think that I'm unfair to him/her, since I would charge them more than any other clients of mine.

Community Guru
38 of 42

Letizia,

There's nothing keeping you from changing your posted rate to at least match what Upwork presents as the market norm. What you have charged your present clients and/or continue to charge them is nobody's business but yours.

Best,

Michael

Tiago V Member Since: Jun 21, 2017
39 of 42

I think it is a great tool. But there is an issue. If your standard profile rate is $20/hr and you ask $30/hr for a specific job, don´t you think client will find it weird and ask why there is a difference? 

Community Guru
40 of 42
Tiago,

I have a note in my profile explaining that my rate is an average across a range of services, and that actual cost will depend on services required and quality of the material I have to work with.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Michael
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS