Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rate Tip Feature

Community Guru
Heaven H Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
11 of 42

@Joy M wrote:

I think a better way to regulate prices on Upwork, for the benefit of freelancers and Upwork itself would be to determine the rates for the different categories of freelancers, and to set it in such a manner that if a cleint wanted an expert, then he could not hire below a given rate.  

On the other hand, if he or she wanted an entry level freelancer then he could not hire above a certain rate.

On the same note, if a freelancer set his or her profile as an expert, the his rate cannot go lower than the set value, and if the freelancer set it as entry level, then the rate would not go higher than the given value.  

The same would apply for Intermediate category.

This sort of rule I think would regulate the market accordingly and prevent clients from posting expert jobs and hiring freelancers at $3/hr.  

Placing an upper limit on what freelancers can charge does not benefit Upwork or freelancers. Controlling our rates to that extent is not consistent with freelancing, and there's no way to accurately "determine the rates for the different categories of freelancers" in the context of a global market and all of our individual abilities and the various kinds/levels of services we offer.

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
12 of 42

Joy M wrote:

I think a better way to regulate prices on Upwork, for the benefit of freelancers and Upwork itself would be to determine the rates for the different categories of freelancers, and to set it in such a manner that if a cleint wanted an expert, then he could not hire below a given rate.  

[…]

Sorry, but that's a terrible, terrible, idea. I'm a freelancer, meaning that I want to enjoy the freedom of setting my own rates.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
13 of 42

Hi Ani,

There is no opt-in process but we are going to roll out the feature to more freelancers gradually. So you will see it soon.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Alexandra H Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
14 of 42

Thank you, Lena!

This sounds like a very nice feature and something that will give all those first-time contractors and income supplementers a much needed leg-up.

For anyone actually trying to run a business or create an income it doesn't make much sense because any price differentials or discounts have to be calculated into a budget, and the basis for that just has to be actual market rates (based on qualifications, work experience, value added,...).

So I think what I'll do is bid above the rate tip. (And I'll let you know how I've fared.)

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
15 of 42

I would like to be able to see my 'Current profile rate'. I change my rate frequently and with this new feature I had to check my profile to see my current rate.

Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 15.27.32.png

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
16 of 42

I saw this today for the first time, and changed it to my standard rate before applying even though it recommended a much higher rate. Still, I'm pleased that it seems to think highly of me. Cat Very Happy

17 of 42

It seems like a good idea to me. 

To make things even better, I would suggest a guide for clients too. Many clients don't know what to ask and as they don't have a reference, they just copy what they see in other job posts. This is encouraging very low budgets. 

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
18 of 42

I think I like this feature. Though, I'm still unsure about increasing my rate.

19 of 42

@Vesna M wrote:

I think I like this feature. Though, I'm still unsure about increasing my rate.

After a month of trying to land a job with such high rate - no success, I'll give up. 

20 of 42

This looks interesting. I hope I get selected for the trial. I hope it becomes a permanent option too. *thumbs up*

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS