cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New Real-Time Process for Freelancer U.S. Location Verification

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 1,805

As previously announced here, we are testing out location specific job posts and currently allow clients in the U.S. to post jobs exclusively for U.S.-based freelancers.

Some freelancers have been asked to verify their location before they submit their first proposal on these jobs, and we’ve heard feedback from some of you that the process for completing this step can be cumbersome. We’re happy to announce that we're replacing the bank account verification process with a new, simpler method for freelancers in the U.S. to verify their location in real-time, using a current state-issued ID, US passport or green card.

The process is easy and immediate, with only two steps. Step 1: Confirm your name, Step 2: Upload an image of your state ID, US passport, or green card. That’s it.

If you’re prompted to complete this verification, once you’ve followed the instructions and completed the requests you’ll see a confirmation message directly on the same Upwork page. See screenshots of the process below and let us know if you have any questions.

Step 1:

locationverification1.png

Step 2:

image (4).png

Results:

locationverification3.png

Untitled
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
2 of 1,805

Hi Lena -

Can someone speak to privacy and security around this? I assume UW is using a 3rd party to process this information and provide the validation. How is this data being transmitted to them? How is this data being stored and who has access to it? How would someone go about removing or updating this information if it is being stored?

Obviously these ID's contan PII and as such there should be information readily available about how it will be used and protected.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 1,805

Scott,

Yes, any data will be encrypted and securely processed by a third party company. Your image will not be stored by Upwork. Please note that if you don’t want to upload your ID you can still use Upwork to submit proposals for all other job posts except for those with a U.S.-location requirement.  

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
4 of 1,805

Appreciate the summary, Valeria. However, UpWork really need to provide a link to a privacy/security document that covers storage and use of this data. I understand there can be others methods and I haven't been asked to do this, but a documented policy and details around handling of PII like this should be readily accessible from UpWork as it is from other responsible businesses.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
5 of 1,805

Hi Scott, 

You may read more about our Privacy Policy here. Here's Section 7 regarding Security of our Privacy Policy: 

"Upwork takes commercially reasonable steps to help protect and secure the information it collects and stores about Upwork Users. All access to the Site is encrypted using industry-standard transport layer security technology (TLS). When you enter sensitive information (such as tax identification number), we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL). We also use HTTP strict transport security to add an additional layer of protection for our Upwork Users. But remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Thus, while we strive to protect your personal data, Upwork cannot ensure and does not warrant the security of any information you transmit to us."

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 1,805

@Avery O wrote:

Hi Scott, 

You may read more about our Privacy Policy here. Here's Section 7 regarding Security of our Privacy Policy: 

"Upwork takes commercially reasonable steps to help protect and secure the information it collects and stores about Upwork Users. All access to the Site is encrypted using industry-standard transport layer security technology (TLS). When you enter sensitive information (such as tax identification number), we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL). We also use HTTP strict transport security to add an additional layer of protection for our Upwork Users. But remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Thus, while we strive to protect your personal data, Upwork cannot ensure and does not warrant the security of any information you transmit to us."

But, if you're using a third-party company for verification, then it isn't Upwork's privacy policy and storage that's at issue. 

Asher F Member Since: Oct 18, 2017
7 of 1,805

No Valeria,

I think you must remove this requirement. You already have my IP address which shows exactly which location in US I am loggin in from. I just don't feel comfortable about my most personal information to be living somewhere on the webspace. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 1,805

re: "You already have my IP address which shows exactly which location in US I am loggin in from."

The IP address means nothing. People spoof these through a variety of methods.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 1,805

Asher F wrote: I just don't feel comfortable about my most personal information to be living somewhere on the webspace. 

That's just fine, nobody is forcing you to do so, and the great news is that if you decide not to, you are no worse off than the million of us who don't even see the US-only jobs.

Lisa A Member Since: Mar 3, 2017
10 of 1,805

The suggestion to upload a passport or greencard is also ridiculous. Yea, I'm going to upload my passport to a site that uses third party software (no thanks). I don't trust that this information being uploaded is kept private. There has to be another way to verify location. Plus, it changes your name on your profile. I noticed that there aren't many people who have full names on their profiles, so, does that mean they've not uploaded drivers' licenses, etc?