cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Real-Time Process for Freelancer U.S. Location Verification

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
11 of 1,823

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for sharing your concerns. If you choose to go through location verification by uploading an image of your ID, rest assured that any data will be encrypted and securely processed and your image will not be stored. Please note that if you don’t want to upload your ID you can still use Upwork to submit proposals for all other job posts except for those with a U.S. location requirement.  

The profile name isn't changed automatically when completing location verification. We ask all users to provide their full official name on their account. Only first name and last initial is displayed on profiles publicly for all freelancers.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Kristen P Member Since: Feb 2, 2018
12 of 1,823
There is no where for me to actually upload the ID?
Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
13 of 1,823

Hello Kristen,

I'm sorry to hear that. I have escalated your concern. One of our representatives will reach out to you shortly.

Untitled
Nathalia A Member Since: Sep 4, 2017
14 of 1,823

Another question - is there a way to upload one of the documents requested WITHOUT having our *displayed* name be converted into our full legal name?  Some people may NOT want to have their full legal name displayed for the public to see for various reasons.  This is a real issue.  

Lisa A Member Since: Mar 3, 2017
15 of 1,823

Yes, I have this question too. Is there a way to not have the name on our profile changed if one chooses to upload a drivers license?

Kate L Member Since: Aug 2, 2017
16 of 1,823

I don't know if I'm the only one having this problem, but I can't get the new Location Verification using photo ID to work. I've tried several scans and an actual photo of my Driver's License, and each time get the notice that:

"We had some trouble verifying your ID

Sorry, we’re having some trouble analyzing the image of your ID at this time.
Please try again later."

I've already tried too many times, had my tries "reset" by Support, and tried again with no success. I am extremely frustrated!

On a side note, I have also tried to submit a new ticket to Support, but got all the way through writing the description and attaching a screenshot, hit the 'Next' button, and found that there was no way to actually submit the ticket... I got an option to browse the Upwork Hiring page (what??) or Discuss With the Upwork Community. Not helpful!

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
17 of 1,823

Hi Kate, 

I can see the first ticket that you lodged with the team and you should be able to update the same ticket by going to your email and replying to that, or by clicking on My Requests on this page. We would recommend that you update the one ticket with your issue so that the Support Team can assist you more efficiently and effectively. 

I will share with the team that you were unable to verify yet again so that they can assist you further. 

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
18 of 1,823

@Kate L wrote:

On a side note, I have also tried to submit a new ticket to Support, but got all the way through writing the description and attaching a screenshot, hit the 'Next' button, and found that there was no way to actually submit the ticket... I got an option to browse the Upwork Hiring page (what??) or Discuss With the Upwork Community. Not helpful!

Similar problems with support for more than a month now. They assure me they're "working on it."

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
19 of 1,823

Hey Jess, what browser are you using? Have you tried using a different browser to access the Help Center and open a ticket?

Untitled
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
20 of 1,823

@Lena E wrote:

Hey Jess, what browser are you using? Have you tried using a different browser to access the Help Center and open a ticket?

I use Chrome, along with about 60% of ALL INTERNET TRAFFIC. If the Help Center doesn't work on Chrome, it doesn't work. Period.

(see: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2017/02/16/googles-chrome-browser-crushes-the-desktop-comp...)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS