Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Update to Upwork Desktop App

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 12

Hi everyone,

After updating the Upwork Desktop App in late July, announced here, you shared your feedback about the redesign. Notably, you expressed that having “time today” display billable time tracked in your local time zone, instead of in UTC, was not helpful. You also stated you preferred having the Current Session timer increase each minute, and not in 10-minute segments. We heard you. Your feedback really helped us understand how you utilize the Desktop App and the importance of these features to make it intuitive for you.

We’ve now released a new update for the Desktop App, based off the feedback we received here in the Community.  

• We’ve brought back the elapsed timer, which increases every minute. This is now the main timer on the App, displaying under Current Session time. This time will now track like a stopwatch that increases by the minute, whereas time billed for the day and for the week will continue to display in the 10-minute billing increments, as they have in the past.

• The timezone to view your hours billed each day is your choice. You now have the option to choose to display this time in either UTC or your local timezone.

Here’s a screenshot of what the updated desktop app looks like:

new desktop app.png

You can find more information about this update in our blog post here. Thanks again for sharing your feedback in the Community. Let us know if you have any questions.  

Untitled
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
2 of 12

Those are excellent changes, Lena.

Will the desktop app automatically update, or do we need to do that manually in some way.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 12

Hi Will,

You don't need to take any actions. The update will be applied the next time you restart your Upwork App.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
4 of 12

Hi, Valeria.

I have re-started my PC a few times since your post and still see a window that includes only a portion of my Upwork message board (?) when I double-click the Time Tracker icon on my desktop. I then close that window and double-click the desktop icon again, when the old Time Tracker window pops up. This is how Time Tracker has “worked” for me for the past couple of months.

Should I delete this version of Time Tracker and download the latest version from the Upwork site in order to get the new app Lena said is now available?

Thanks.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 12

Sorry about that, Will.

We confirmed with the team that we’re rolling out the changes slowly, and you should get the automatic update next week.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Martin N Member Since: Mar 4, 2015
6 of 12

It looks like my app updated earlier this week, but has now reverted to the previous problematic 10 minute increment display.

Wadhah B Member Since: Oct 24, 2018
7 of 12

What about the last update: Version 5.1.0.629 (FE1841 ). It just asked me about to do an update but I have no idea where to see the change log. Adding the app's change log in the about section would be pretty nice.  

Martin N Member Since: Mar 4, 2015
8 of 12

Tried to install.  The installation failed with an error and the app is no longer available.

Ace Contributor
Flavio S Member Since: Nov 19, 2015
9 of 12

The thing with the new update is that it no longer has the pop up window for the screen capture it just took. It only has the sound. With the pop up we could choose wether we would keep that screen capture and we could also delete it.

Is that something that is missing only to me or is it a new thing?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 12

Hi Flavio,

Thanks for reporting. I'm regularly using the app and while I can confirm the screenshot is included in the pop-up window on my end, please do let me know if you're not seeing it on your end so we can investigate. Please also provide a screenshot if you manage to take it once the pop-up window appears.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS