🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » New Upwork Android App Available Now
Page options

New Upwork Android App Available Now

lenaellis
Community Member

A new version of Upwork's Android app is now available in the Google Play store under the name “Upwork for Freelancers”. Just like the iOS app, our new Android app allows freelancers to access nearly all of Upwork.com while on the go. Freelancers will be able to do things like: 

• Review and accept jobs or proposals
  • Communicate through Upwork Messages
  • Share files
  • Search for jobs
  • View projects
  • Manage contracts
  • Get paid

The new Android app “Upwork for Freelancers” is for freelancers and agencies only. The current Upwork Android app called "Upwork," has not been updated but is still available to download. If you use a client account to hire on Upwork, then we ask that you keep the current app.

If you only use Upwork as a freelancer, you can download the new "Upwork for Freelancers" app and delete the old app.

Let us know if you have any questions or feedback!

47 Comments
jchurwin
Community Member

WIth the old app I would sometimes receive notifications of messages or interview requests, and sometimes I wouldn't.  When I saw there was a new app, I thought great!  There is only one thing that I expected to be better without a doubt - notifications.  Alas, I do not receive any notifications. So I manually have to check multiple times per day.  For an app that relies on communication with each other, you would think that alerts would be a part of the app.  And not just the choice to turn on all alerts or none, rather the choice to turn on one for messages, one for proposal requests, one for interview requests.

dhaupin
Community Member

EDITED: I initially wrote about lack of mobile resolution support in the browser, but it seems to have been implemented recently.

For those of you on 5.x Android, use the website instead. It offers mobile resolution now instead of "desktop mode" resolution 🙂

Excellent work! Thank you!

dyumnin
Community Member

I received the request to upgrade on my existing app, and installed the new version. A few minutes after logging in I received an email An unknown device or browser has been used to access your account, The location specified in the email was unknown to me and I went through the password reset + uninstall new app process.

It was a scary experience...

manbeenabrar
Community Member
Hi,
I'm using Android 8.1.0. New app doesn't show message notification unless I open the app. I have checked and updated all my settings.
Whereas older version of app works perfectly.
VladimirG
Community Manager

Hi Manbeena,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Could you please locate your device on the list Lena shared here and follow the outlined steps to manually enable the auto-launch feature for background services, and let us know if that resolves the problem?

nkalog
Community Member
Unfortunately the new app is really slow and heavy. Scrolling is very bad and it takes time to load pages. Huge improvement is required and hope to see same in one of next updates....
jamshed_206
Community Member

New update received but its still the same. Its very slow to load the things.

AveryO
Community Manager

Hi Nicholas, and Muhammad, 

Could you please share your phone's OS so that I can share these with the team, and they can look into it? 

jamshed_206
Community Member

I am using Infinix X5515F (Android 9) with XOS v4.5.0 (P-P28-181026)

Regards

BojanS
Community Manager

Thank you for following up, Muhammad.

I'll go ahead and share this with our team for their review. We will update here once we have more information. We appreciate your patience while we look into this.

Edited to add:

Could you please provide this additional information for our team, so that they can replicate your reporting more efficiently:

- Example of which screen is slow and how much time it needs to load?

- On what network speed?

If any of this additional information contains private information within it, feel free to share those in a PM with me and I'll gladly update our team accordingly.

Thank you.