🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » New Upwork Skill Certifications
Page options

New Upwork Skill Certifications

lenaellis
Community Member

We have launched a new initiative to help freelancers showcase their expertise by earning an Upwork Skill Certification. These skill certifications highlight talent that has demonstrated competency in their field by passing a rigorous skill assessment or sample work review, evaluated by domain experts in their field.

Currently, Upwork Skill Certifications are available for certain skills in the Web & Mobile Software Development (WMSD) and Design & Creative fields. For WMSD, certification is a two-step process that takes 2 to 3 hours. Participants must achieve a passing score on two timed and proctored coding tests. Design & Creative talent must achieve a passing score on their Upwork portfolio, which is evaluated by a panel of third-party domain experts. You can learn more about Upwork Skill Certifications here. Given the intricacy of having skills assessed, these certifications are exclusively invite-only at this time.  

Upwork Skill Certifications will display on your Upwork profile in the certifications area.

Here is an example of a Microsoft certification on a profile. Upwork Skills Certifications will appear in a similar format but with an Upwork badge for the specialized certification. 

Sample existing certification

MS Certifications.png

Sample Upwork Skills Certification Badge

Skill Certification.png

Upwork Skill Certifications are currently available in 10 software development languages and 16 design and creative skills. 

Upwork Skill Certifications in Web & Mobile Software Development test for individual proficiency in a particular language or technology. Assessment methodology varies by skill, using a combination of timed, proctored tests and in some cases, technical interviews. 

• Android, Java
  • Android, Kotlin
  • iOS, Objective-C
  • iOS, Swift
  • C#, Desktop Software Development
  • C++, Desktop Software Development
  • Java Back-end Development
  • JavaScript Back-end Development
  • JavaScript Front-end Development
  • PHP Back-end Development
  • Python Back-end Development
  • Ruby on Rails Back-end Development

Upwork Skill Certifications in Design & Creative test for an individual’s or agency’s demonstrated competency in current design best practices. A panel of 2 or more domain experts evaluates a freelancer or agency Upwork portfolio based upon several dimensions depending upon the skill. 

• 2D Animation
  • 3D Animation
  • 3D Modeling *NEW*
  • Art Direction
  • Brand Identity
  • Cartooning
  • Creative Direction
  • Editorial Design
  • Graphic Design
  • Illustration
  • Image Editing
  • Motion Graphics
  • Presentation Design
  • User Experience Design
  • User Interface Design
  • Video Editing
  • Videography

We plan to grow the program and offer the skill assessments to more talent and in additional skill areas. You do not need to have earned a talent tier such as Top Rated or Expert-Vetted to receive an invitation. These are signals of having expertise in your field and do increase your chances of being invited, though. For the best chance of being invited, achieve and maintain a solid reputation, complete identity verification, maintain a complete and up-to-date profile that is not set to private, and have an active Upwork account in good standing. 

348 Comments
tonnu10
Community Member

Hello Joanne,

Please read my previous comment properly. I didn't request to be invited. I already got an invitation from the Upwork assessment team (assessments@upwork.com) telling me that "Want to stand out as an expert on Upwork? You’re invited!" 

I submitted the application like they said with my updated portfolio and wanted to know when will I get an update about the certification.

-Ton

VladimirG
Community Manager

Hi Ton,

I apologize for the confusion and appreciate your follow-up message. I checked and can confirm our team received your application. You should receive an update within the next 24-48 hours, in line with the three-week review time-frame. Good luck!

tonnu10
Community Member

Hello Vladimir,

No worries. Got the certification today for Image editing and I am really happy 🙂 Thanks for your help 🙂

vipulnandan
Community Member

Hi, 

I just completed the certification successfully. Hopefully it'll be useful in my overall portfolio.

I want to highlight 2 minor things regarding this:

1. In the mail received on completing each of the 2 stages of the test, I received a coupon code with 40 connects. However, on using the code I was awarded 80 connects($12 worth). Not that I am complaining 🙂  I guess it's just a typo.
  2. On the help article regarding this subject found here , the description says "PHP Front-end Development" it should be back-end or jut drop the ended-ness. 
    "
dyach_s
Community Member

Thanks for this Upwork Skils sertification, I start to get more clients.

dyach_s
Community Member

What adjustments will be made in the future to progress to the top rated plus ? for this moments it could be more conditions to get it.

reena-dwall
Community Member

What is the process to get this badge...
What are the prior prepartion I have do so far, can you pleae guide me

Thanks

VladimirG
Community Manager

Hi Reena,

You can find more information about the Upwork Skill Certifications in Lena's opening post I copied below. 

When you decide to go through the certification process you acknowledge that you understand and agree to follow the Web, Mobile & Software Development Skill Certification guidelines below:

• Follow all CodeSignal guidelines provided at the time of testing.

• For some tests, you will be guided to select a specific language within the test. In these cases, select the specific language and then code your answer. Don’t change languages while solving the question.

• Complete all coding within the CodeSignal IDE. Don’t copy and paste code from places outside of the CodeSignal IDE.

• Complete the test using original content. Don’t search for online solutions and copy/paste or retype code from sources external to CodeSignal while completing the test.

• Also, please note:

• Your screen will be recorded as you take the test.

• Your test will be manually reviewed once it’s complete to determine whether or not it meets the guidelines and is your original work.

For the Web, Mobile & Software Development certifications, we suggest you review, “How do I prepare for this coding test?” and explore CodeSignal's knowledge base. To take a practice coding assessment, click here.

Lena E wrote:

As you may have seen in previous Community posts and initiatives earlier this year, we’re committed to helping expert talent stand out on Upwork. In January, we announced our plans to highlight top talent and welcomed your feedback. Last month we announced two new talent badges, Top Rated Plus and Expert-Vetted. Continuing on this path we are excited to share our new Upwork Skills Certifications.

We have launched a new initiative to help freelancers showcase their expertise by earning an Upwork Skill Certification. These skill certifications highlight talent that has demonstrated competency in their field by passing a rigorous skill assessment or sample work review, evaluated by domain experts in their field.

Currently, Upwork Skill Certifications are available for certain skills in the Web & Mobile Software Development (WMSD) and Design & Creative fields. For WMSD, certification is a two-step process that takes 2 to 3 hours. Participants must achieve a passing score on two timed and proctored coding tests. Design & Creative talent must achieve a passing score on their Upwork portfolio, which is evaluated by a panel of third-party domain experts. You can learn more about Upwork Skill Certifications here. Given the intricacy of having skills assessed, these certifications are exclusively invite-only at this time.  

Upwork Skill Certifications will display on your Upwork profile in the certifications area.

Here is an example of a Microsoft certification on a profile. Upwork Skills Certifications will appear in a similar format but with an Upwork badge for the specialized certification. 

Sample existing certification

MS Certifications.png

Sample Upwork Skills Certification Badge

Skill Certification.png

Upwork Skill Certifications are currently available in 10 software development languages and 16 design and creative skills. 

Upwork Skill Certifications in Web & Mobile Software Development test for individual proficiency in a particular language or technology. Assessment methodology varies by skill, using a combination of timed, proctored tests and in some cases, technical interviews. 

• Android, Java
  • Android, Kotlin
  • iOS, Objective-C
  • iOS, Swift
  • Java Back-end Development
  • JavaScript Back-end Development
  • JavaScript Front-end Development
  • PHP Back-end Development
  • Python Back-end Development
  • Ruby on Rails Back-end Development

Upwork Skill Certifications in Design & Creative test for an individual’s or agency’s demonstrated competency in current design best practices. A panel of 2 or more domain experts evaluates a freelancer or agency Upwork portfolio based upon several dimensions depending upon the skill. 

• 2D Animation
  • 3D Animation
  • Art Direction
  • Brand Identity
  • Cartooning
  • Creative Direction
  • Editorial Design
  • Graphic Design
  • Illustration
  • Image Editing
  • Motion Graphics
  • Presentation Design
  • User Experience Design
  • User Interface Design
  • Video Editing
  • Videography

We plan to grow the program and offer the skill assessments to more talent and in additional skill areas. You do not need to have earned a talent tier such as Top Rated or Expert-Vetted to receive an invitation. These are signals of having expertise in your field and do increase your chances of being invited, though. For the best chance of being invited, achieve and maintain a solid reputation, complete identity verification, maintain a complete and up-to-date profile that is not set to private, and have an active Upwork account in good standing. 

svetlana712
Community Member

Hello. Recently I've passed General Coding Assessment. And Upwork has send me Promo Code to get 40 connects.
How long will be available this Promo code?
I would like to use it later. Because all connects will burn one year later.

Regards, Svitlana

AleksandarD
Community Manager

Hi Svitlana,

Congratulations on passing the General Coding Assessment! The promo code can be used within one year since it was sent to you.

Thank you