🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » New Upwork Skill Certifications
Page options

New Upwork Skill Certifications

lenaellis
Community Member

We have launched a new initiative to help freelancers showcase their expertise by earning an Upwork Skill Certification. These skill certifications highlight talent that has demonstrated competency in their field by passing a rigorous skill assessment or sample work review, evaluated by domain experts in their field.

Currently, Upwork Skill Certifications are available for certain skills in the Web & Mobile Software Development (WMSD) and Design & Creative fields. For WMSD, certification is a two-step process that takes 2 to 3 hours. Participants must achieve a passing score on two timed and proctored coding tests. Design & Creative talent must achieve a passing score on their Upwork portfolio, which is evaluated by a panel of third-party domain experts. You can learn more about Upwork Skill Certifications here. Given the intricacy of having skills assessed, these certifications are exclusively invite-only at this time.  

Upwork Skill Certifications will display on your Upwork profile in the certifications area.

Here is an example of a Microsoft certification on a profile. Upwork Skills Certifications will appear in a similar format but with an Upwork badge for the specialized certification. 

Sample existing certification

MS Certifications.png

Sample Upwork Skills Certification Badge

Skill Certification.png

Upwork Skill Certifications are currently available in 10 software development languages and 16 design and creative skills. 

Upwork Skill Certifications in Web & Mobile Software Development test for individual proficiency in a particular language or technology. Assessment methodology varies by skill, using a combination of timed, proctored tests and in some cases, technical interviews. 

• Android, Java
  • Android, Kotlin
  • iOS, Objective-C
  • iOS, Swift
  • C#, Desktop Software Development
  • C++, Desktop Software Development
  • Java Back-end Development
  • JavaScript Back-end Development
  • JavaScript Front-end Development
  • PHP Back-end Development
  • Python Back-end Development
  • Ruby on Rails Back-end Development

Upwork Skill Certifications in Design & Creative test for an individual’s or agency’s demonstrated competency in current design best practices. A panel of 2 or more domain experts evaluates a freelancer or agency Upwork portfolio based upon several dimensions depending upon the skill. 

• 2D Animation
  • 3D Animation
  • 3D Modeling *NEW*
  • Art Direction
  • Brand Identity
  • Cartooning
  • Creative Direction
  • Editorial Design
  • Graphic Design
  • Illustration
  • Image Editing
  • Motion Graphics
  • Presentation Design
  • User Experience Design
  • User Interface Design
  • Video Editing
  • Videography

We plan to grow the program and offer the skill assessments to more talent and in additional skill areas. You do not need to have earned a talent tier such as Top Rated or Expert-Vetted to receive an invitation. These are signals of having expertise in your field and do increase your chances of being invited, though. For the best chance of being invited, achieve and maintain a solid reputation, complete identity verification, maintain a complete and up-to-date profile that is not set to private, and have an active Upwork account in good standing. 

348 Comments
VladimirG
Community Manager

Congrats, Sabri! Keep up the great work.

73f80524
Community Member
Hello!

I’ve been on Upwork for a few months, and despite the occasional issue here and there, it’s been going well.

That being said, I have an issue. I was invited to take a Talent Assessment in my field. I took it last month and was told to wait until my results were verified by CodeSignal to proceed to my Skill-specific Assessment in Python. It’s been a few weeks since I’ve had my result verified, but no link to the second test by Upwork. I’m wondering if anyone in a similar position got the matter resolved?

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
BojanS
Community Manager

Hi Ashneal,

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused! It looks like you have a support ticket with our team about this concern. I'll go ahead and follow up with the team handling your case and you can expect to receive an update on your ticket as soon as possible. 

Thank you for your patience.

robertbetancourt
Community Member

Hello Smiley Embarassed

I received an invitation to do the certification test and it is from JAVA, a language that does not appear even in my skills, anyway. Smiley Indifferent

my knowledge is in React Native and Flutter, for mobile development, but they are not in the certificates yet, I hope they are later. 

I also have knowledge in UI / UX, and although it is in my profile I have not received any invitation yet. I would like to know if it will arrive at some point since my work in Upwork is UI/UX design. Smiley Very Happy

I feel that there is a lot of exclusion in knowledge and that discriminates a lot between the professions and the professionals who work here. also, the tests are in English only, what happens with people who post jobs in German, Spanish, or others? your language does not matter ?. they should have worked better including all the possible tests so as not to discriminate or exclude. Smiley Indifferent

marketing, social media, even you who are community manager, are many professions excluded for now, that disqualifies them for jobs as clients will seek verification. Smiley Sad

BojanS
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your feedback, Robert. 

We hope to add skill certifications for more skills and categories in the future. This is still a fairly new feature that we're working on improving and expanding. We'll also share your feedback and experience about receiving an invite for a different skill with the team.

Could you also send me a PM with a screenshot of the email you're referring to so we could double check?

9metahir
Community Member

Hi Nikola,

I received the invitation for "Upwork Skill Certification" and have accepted it.

Now I have been given a deadline of 2 weeks to complete the tests.

Can you kindly elaborate what happens if I am not able to complete the tests within 14 days or if I am not able to get the passing score because as of now I am not sure about the pattern, coverage and environment of the test that'll be conducted?

Will it affect any of my current profile parameters such as job success rate, top-rated status etc?

Thank you.

BojanS
Community Manager

Hi Nouman,

If you don’t pass the test, don't worry! Nothing will display on your Upwork profile. If you followed all the guidelines but don’t achieve a passing score, you may request to retake the test again after six months. Request a second test at assessments@upwork.com.

Learn more about Upwork Skill Certifications here

Thank you!

8bff6347
Community Member

Hi Nikola, 

Can you please guide me regarding skill certification? I have 2 skills User interface Design and User Experience Design, by mistake I had applied for UX design. Can I apply for User Interface Design now? 

Kindly do let me know if there is any possibility?

Regards,

AleksandarD
Community Manager

Hi Anas,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

usamakhushnood
Community Member

I don't know what should I prepare or what should I learn before the test. I need some basic guidance.

Thank you