Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Upwork iOS App for Freelancers

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 10

A new version of Upwork's iOS app is now available in the App Store under the name “Upwork for Freelancers”. Our new app allows freelancers to access nearly all of Upwork.com while on the go. Freelancers will be able to do things like review and accept jobs, write proposals, chat with clients, and check payments.

This new app is unlike usual app updates because we decided to build this one from scratch. As a result, there are currently two apps displaying in your App Store. The current “Upwork” app and this new one, “Upwork for Freelancers.” The new iOS app is currently for freelancers only, but will eventually become the sole app for all Upwork users, clients included. The current Upwork app called "Upwork," has not been updated but is still available to download.

• If you use a client account to hire on Upwork, then we ask that you keep the current app until all client features have been brought over.
  • If you use Upwork as both a freelancer and a client, you should  use both apps until client features are added.
  • If you only use Upwork as a freelancer, you can download the new Upwork for Freelancers app and delete the old app.

When we finish migrating all freelancers and clients over to the new app, we will retire the existing “Upwork” app and the “Upwork for Freelancers” app will be renamed back to “Upwork”. We will let you know when that happens. We will also be making similar updates to our Android app which will be released in the coming months.

Untitled
Community Leader
Allen W Member Since: Oct 7, 2017
2 of 10

I'm glad there has been progress towards improving the app experience for users. I do wonder why both iOS and Android weren't worked on and released at the time time. Android has a far larger user base than iOS.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 10

I encountered a popup that stated my Upwork app is out of date, so I downloaded it, and now I have 2 iOS Upwork apps, as you can see from my Settings screenshot below. I *assume* the top icon with white logo on green background is old, and the lower icon with green logo on white background is current, and I should delete the old one? Or did I get tricked into downloading a fake app? I will standby for an official explanation.

up2.png

4 of 10

Same thing happened to me today.  Just delete the green one.  But the new one doesn't seem to work as well. 

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
5 of 10

Hi Lisa, and John, 

I'll go ahead and confirm this with the team, but I also wanted to check what functionalities don't work in the new app that you have downloaded? 

Are you also able to confirm the name of the "new" app?

-Avery
Untitled
Community Leader
Prachi T Member Since: Nov 4, 2017
6 of 10

I downloaded the new one.

It's been working fine for me. You can view proposals and contracts on the new app. You can go to the job post directly from the invitation, and you can check client history too.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 10

Hi John, Lisa and Prachi,

We can confirm the app with the white icon is our new iOS app. To ensure our mobile app includes all of the capabilities our community uses, we decided to build one from scratch. Until we finish migrating freelancers, agencies and eventually clients to the new app, users will see two Upwork apps in the iOS store.

Regarding using the old app, if you use Upwork as a freelancer and as a client, you should keep both apps for now. The new iOS app is currently for freelancers only, but will eventually become the sole app for all Upwork users, clients included. We’ll let you know when that happens.

If you exclusively use Upwork as a freelancer (for work), you can delete the old app.

Lisa, if you're still experiencing issue with the new app, please pm me the details so we can have a look and note that you can download the older one (green icon) in the meantime.

Dejan C Member Since: Jan 26, 2016
8 of 10

This is the post I typed on Facebook, but they told me it's better to copy it here. So, here you go, copy/paste.

I'm back to the old App, because the new iOS app is, I must say, garbage! It was fine first few days, but now the app is crashing every time i try to enter the app. I still can get notifications, but there is not a chance to enter and read a message or anything else.

Also, another big issue is usage of messages. On old App you were able to manipulate with them and answer to client much faster and easier. Now, I can't remove messages of the clients I don't work with anymore or just don't want to see those messages.

Green theme of the App was unique and great - it's confusing now with white. Looking pale and empty. Really not a fan.

I hope you will fix this issue in next App Update. It's great to have new options in App, but don't eliminate old functions which were very useful to freelancers.

Thanks!

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
9 of 10

I'm sorry to learn about your experience, Dejan. I'll go ahead and share this with the team so that they can look into this further. 

May I know your iPhone's OS so that I can include it in my report? 

-Avery
Untitled
Dejan C Member Since: Jan 26, 2016
10 of 10

Hello Avery,

My iOS version is 12.1.4, the latest one. Problem began with 12.1.3, but it's still the same issue after an update.

Hope your team will resolve this.

Regards,
Dejan

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS