Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Weekly Retainer Payment Option

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 34

I wanted to flag a new payment type that is being demoed with select clients, called a Weekly Retainer. This new payment type pays a fixed amount on a weekly basis. We are demoing this payment type with select clients who would be interested in posting projects like development services, accounting services, and marketing services which may better fit into a retainer type of contract- a fee paid regularly to someone (usually in advance of services) in order to secure ongoing services, rather than hourly or with milestones. 

How is this different from Weekly Payments?

Many are probably familiar with the current weekly payment feature where in addition to their hourly contract that they log hours for, they receive a fixed weekly payment. This is different from Weekly Retainer, which is shown to clients as a separate payment type and is not tied to an hourly contract. Freelancers do not have access to a Work Diary on these contracts, will not be able to log or bill additional hours, and will only receive that fixed weekly amount. 

Client View:

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 9.05.55 AM.png

Freelancer View:

screenshot-www.upwork.com-2020.07 (3).png

screenshot-www.upwork.com-2020.07 (1).png

screenshot-www.upwork.com-2020.07 (2).png

screenshot-www.upwork.com-2020.07.png

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
2 of 34

Wow, this is soooo cool. I recently fired a client who required very adhoc availability, for very small chunks of work. I fired him because he wasn't paying too well to start with, and wasn't paying for the availability.

Too bad this wasn't available then, cos that's what was right for such a client. I would have suggested it to him, but the relationship is over now.

Still, well done.

ETA: So if I understand you correctly, in contradistinction to Weekly Payments which get paid at the end of the week, Weekly Retainer will always get paid at the beginning?

Highlighted
Nick Q Member Since: Feb 25, 2020
3 of 34

I just realized while assisting (over screen share) one of my client to make me an offer on hourly basis, that a weekly payment is also allowed.

Query 1: Is weekly payment an addition to what I get paid through normal upwork hourly model? Is this a fixed weekly cost associated with an hourly contract?

Query 2: If I dont work on for a week and I am waiting for the client to provide more work, while the contract is active, will I still be paid for it?

Query 3: If the answer to above query is yes, what if my cleint and I mutually decide not to get the weekly payment considered/processed for a particular week, what can I do? Unpaused contract it is.

Query 4: I see some jobs on upwork with weekly retainer payment only. If I win a weekly retainer contract (such as on **Edited for Community Guidelines**) will the payment be only weekly and nothing hourly? While applying it didnt ask for my hourly rate. How does this function?

Why is there no good relavant material on upwork foirums except for questions on upwork forums? It should have been notified via email to every stakeholder.

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
4 of 34

Hi Nick,

A weekly payment is an automatic, recurring payment for a specific amount. The client is invoiced this amount each week in addition to the billable hours in your Work Diary.

The weekly payment will be paid to you even when you haven't tracked any time. Please keep in mind that a weekly payment can be canceled only by closing the contract. You or your client will not be able to exclude a specific week. Thank you.

Untitled
Highlighted
5 of 34

Dear Goran

Your reply answers a lot.

a) A particular job asks for a weekly amount only and no mention of hourly amount. Can you explain this? 

b)

Also why is there no particular page allocated to explaining this concept thta Upwork introduced recently? If there is one, please direct me to that.

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
6 of 34

Hi Nick,

The Recurring Weekly Payment means that the freelancer will get paid weekly even if they don't track any time. You can check this help article for more information.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Leader
Jason B Member Since: Jan 3, 2020
7 of 34

> The Recurring Weekly Payment means that the freelancer will get paid weekly even if they don't track > any time. You can check this help article for more inflammation.

That article is very inflammatory...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 34

Nick Q wrote:

b)

Also why is there no particular page allocated to explaining this concept thta Upwork introduced recently? If there is one, please direct me to that.

Weekly retainers have been around for at least 6 years. There is nothing new about them. They are explained under the hourly contracts section.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Shawn W Member Since: Feb 23, 2016
9 of 34

Petra R wrote:

Weekly retainers have been around for at least 6 years. There is nothing new about them. They are explained under the hourly contracts section.

No, they're really not.

The page doesn't use the word "Retainer", so it doesn't come up when we do a search.

It also says that the Weekly Payment (as it's called there) is in addition to my billable hours. However, I'm trying to Submit a Proposal for a job, and it gives me a place to enter a Weekly Retainer amount, but no place for an Hourly amount. So how can I have any billable hours? 

Is the client expecting to pay only the weekly retainer, plus a flat rate of $0.00?  (I can live with that if the retainer is high enough.)

PS: Retainers may have been around for six years, but I've never seen one until today. Perhaps they're more common in other talent fields than mine.

Highlighted
10 of 34

Peter: I do not agree that weekly retainers were prominent since years. No update ever received from upwork, only came into limelight 2-3 weeks ago.

Adding to this, bidding on weekly contracts ask for weekly rates only and no hourly rates, unlike what has been mentioned in this thread and on the hourly forum.

This thread is not to debate but to get more insight on the things. If I were to bid on a hybrid (weekly + hourly model), how do I communicate both the rates to my suspects (on the bids)?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS