Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New client process for closing jobs

lenaellis
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 13

To improve the client hiring experience and clean up old jobs in the marketplace, we are changing the process for closing jobs after a client has hired.  With this new process, jobs that don’t need to remain open are removed from the My Jobs page and removed from the Upwork marketplace.  

We’ve heard from several clients that they’re reluctant to close a job because all candidate activity is dumped into an archived folder. This means a client loses the status of each freelancer who applied on that job (who they shortlisted, interviewed, or declined). We’ve also heard from freelancers that they frequently come across job posts in the marketplace which have been open for a while.

Here’s what happens today:

Currently after a job is awarded, that job does not automatically close, while a new contract is created with the same name. That means it appears in two places on the client’s My Jobs page, 1. under Contracts and 2. under Open Jobs. When clients have several open jobs, having these appear in both places can create a confusing and cluttered experience.

Here’s what will be changing:

With this new experience, after a client has hired for a job, they will be prompted with a screen, shown below, asking if they would like to keep the job open or close the job.

hirenohire.png

When a client closes a job, we will save the status of each freelancer (those who have been shortlisted, interviewed, declined, etc). This way clients can easily reach out to freelancers and can even go back and hire a freelancer directly from a closed job post.

This new change is live for a small subset of clients and will be slowly rolling out over the next few weeks.

Untitled
kim_wong
Community Leader
Kim W Member Since: Dec 10, 2015
2 of 13

Bravo.  Great news.  

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
3 of 13

Excellent move. Upwork.  Lena, thanks for letting us know life is getting easier for all sides of the equation.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
4 of 13

This looks like a fantastic change and one which will make the process much easier for new clients. Thanks!

da_alonewalker
Ace Contributor
Tousif A Member Since: Nov 17, 2016
5 of 13

Great initiative. Keep up the good work.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
6 of 13

I agree it looks like a good change. I suppose the heartbreak caused by its not being about facilitating clients' closing completed jobs will heal in time.

setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
7 of 13
I'm sure that's next on the list Michael.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
wendy_writes
Community Guru
8 of 13

Wavigng at Setu; you've been missed.

setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
9 of 13
Thanks Wendy.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
wendy_writes
Community Guru
10 of 13

Glad you realized I meant "waving" ...  not enough espresso earlier.  Smiley Wink

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS