Viacheslav K Member Since: Sep 9, 2015
22 of 284

>$15,000: Web, Mobile & Software Dev

I rarely get to 10k for the 5% fee :/

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
23 of 284

Upwork, if you are rolling out 'new' designations for FLers ... they should be applicable to ALL genres of work.  This does not appear to be the case as in the Expert-Vetted badge. 

Ergo, it is confusing for buyers as a start ....

Highlighted
Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
24 of 284
This is silly. Moar Candy Crush stickers.

If I can line up three in a row do I get a power-up to be ungrounded from my phone privileges?
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
25 of 284

Ah well... another intiaitive that doesn't apply to all.  I will likely never do a job that costs $5,000 because, as a resume/LinkedIn content writer, no one job could ever cost that much. And by design, it is usually never long-term as it's mostly all one-off, short-term jobs. Yet, I have earned well over $100k on here and have been top rated since the end of 2015.  

Thanks anyway. *sigh*

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
26 of 284

Hi Jessica and others,

Top Rated Plus is only an indicator that a freelancer worked on a successful large contract and had earnings of at least $10,000 in the past year on Upwork. Clients have told us that they have a difficult time finding talent that are both interested in larger, more complex projects and also have a track record of completing them successfully on Upwork.

It does not mean, however, that these freelancers are better or have a higher Job Success Score. Plus, since we only expect about 3% of freelancers to earn this variation of Top Rated status we know the Top Rated badge will still set you apart as having a great reputation on Upwork.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
27 of 284

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Jessica and others,

Top Rated Plus is only an indicator that a freelancer worked on a successful large contract and had earnings of at least $10,000 in the past year on Upwork. Clients have told us that they have a difficult time finding talent that are both interested in larger, more complex projects and also have a track record of completing them successfully on Upwork.

It does not mean, however, that these freelancers are better or have a higher Job Success Score. Plus, since we only expect about 3% of freelancers to earn this variation of Top Rated status we know the Top Rated badge will still set you apart as having a great reputation on Upwork.

Valeria, that's still not very comforting Smiley Sad I do well on large projects / long-term projects, but I won't get this badge.

As a client, I'd choose Top Rated Plus every time over Top Rated. Unless you put a banner across every page of the site breaking down these badge descriptions (and maybe even then), clients won't understand the nuance and will just choose the freelancer with the better-sounding (or -looking) badge.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
28 of 284

Isabelle Anne,

We are taking steps to educate clients so they understand that Top Rated Plus is only an indicator that a freelancer worked on a successful large contract and had earnings of at least $10,000 in the past year on Upwork. It does not mean these freelancers are better or have a higher Job Success Score than those with traditional Top Rated status.

Isabelle Anne A wrote:

I do well on large projects / long-term projects, but I won't get this badge.

Actually, you already have this badge and will be able to see it yourself on your profile later this summer. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
29 of 284

Sorry, Valeria, but you cannot have it both ways.

You cannot in an original post say you are trying to highlight Top talent to top clients through this new badge

and then come down and say, uhh, oh well, we're not really highlighting but we're highlighting.

You can't have your words and eat them.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
30 of 284

Valeria K wrote:

Isabelle Anne,

We are taking steps to educate clients so they understand that Top Rated Plus is only an indicator that a freelancer worked on a successful large contract and had earnings of at least $10,000 in the past year on Upwork. It does not mean these freelancers are better or have a higher Job Success Score than those with traditional Top Rated status.

Isabelle Anne A wrote:

I do well on large projects / long-term projects, but I won't get this badge.

Actually, you already have this badge and will be able to see it yourself on your profile later this summer. 

Thanks so much for the update! I'm not going to pretend I'm not relieved to hear this, but all the points Jessica made below are very valid. Obviously I'm happy that I qualify for the badge because I need all the advantages I can get, but if someone like Jessica, who is arguably much successful than me on Upwork, doesn't qualify, then these badges are misrepresentative. I dislike using the word "unfair" online since people tend to mock it, but can't think of a more accurate way to describe this situation Smiley Sad

And the "vetted" badge is even more confusing -- how can Upwork be a fair judge of which freelancers deserve to get this particular badge? Plus, those who get the vetted badge will seem far superior to the rest of us (whether rightfully or unrightfully so)

Since I have been a client in the past and will probably be again sometime, it's all a bit concerning. I hope Upwork will indeed find a way to better outline the differences regarding these badges -- other than putting little "?" icons next to them ... as I don't know how many clients actually look at or understand those.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS