Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New talent badges are now available!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Arsalan A Member Since: Oct 1, 2015
71 of 339

HI All, Thanks for this kind of approach regarding the top rated badges..I have completed jobs very frequent and now I want to be top rated badge. As my earchings were minimum 5K in the 12 months, in the field of Creative/ Animations. Can anyone see my profile and suggest me what should do to get this badge again? Also How can see my total earnings? Because the earnings is only show in k's Like 1k-10k- Is it show 15K ?? or 12K ? 

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
72 of 339

Hi Arsalan,

Thank you for your interest in becoming Top Rated/Top Rated Plus. Please check the requirements you need to meet in order to become Top Rated and Top Rated Plus. Note that you'll receive an email notification once you qualify and obtain either of these badges.

You can check your earnings by using Reports, more specifically Transaction History report for the select time frame.

Highlighted
Aaron C Member Since: Nov 20, 2016
73 of 339

I recently came across a new top rated plus badge for freelancers with high-value, long-term projects depending on their area of expertise. As a content editor, I rarely reach projects that are greater than $5K although my 12-month earnings is significantly higher than the $10K minimum. 

Is Upwork also considering a separate badge for high earners?

Highlighted
Employee
Iliana M Employee Member Since: Jan 30, 2018
74 of 339

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm one of the product managers working on solutions to support great talent like you on Upwork.

We selected the thresholds for each category based on the project values we see in the marketplace today. We believe that $5000 is a reasonable threshold for the Writing category.

Future improvements we are considering include:

1) Expand the threshold to include relationship value, not just contract value (ex: if the same client hires you multiple times)

2) Create the thresholds based on subcategories instead of categories (ex: UX/UI design projects tend to be larger than logo design projects so the thresholds would be different, instead of $5,000 for the whole Design & Creative category). 

What do you think of those ideas? Which do you think would apply best for someone like you?

Note that we do not currently have a time frame for these improvements. The earliest I would expect us to launch improvements of this type to Top Rated Plus would be in 2021. Our focus right now is making the new badges visible to talent (scheduled for later this summer), increasing the perks & benefits associated with the badges, and getting more people access to the pre-screening required to become Expert-Vetted.

We do not believe a badge for high earners would be valuable at this time. The reasons are:

- Too many badges create confusion for clients; we have to have the right balance between distinguishing high performers and creating noise

- Clients already have easy ways to find high earners by looking at the total earnings on the profile and using filters, and they actively use these

- Businesses seeking high performers value other signals more, like the size of the projects or the types of clients you worked for

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Iliana

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
75 of 339

Iliana M wrote:

We selected the thresholds for each category based on the project values we see in the marketplace today. We believe that $5000 is a reasonable threshold for the Writing category.

Which is yet another example of why Upwork's categories don't fit the services we offer. $5000 or up to much more for writing a book? Sure! More that $5000 for editing a book? Tantalizingly close, but so far: no.

Future improvements we are considering include:

1) Expand the threshold to include relationship value, not just contract value (ex: if the same client hires you multiple times)
:thumbsup:

2) Create the thresholds based on subcategories instead of categories (ex: UX/UI design projects tend to be larger than logo design projects so the thresholds would be different, instead of $5,000 for the whole Design & Creative category).
Bingo! See above. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Iliana

Thanks!

Highlighted
Aaron C Member Since: Nov 20, 2016
76 of 339

Hi Iliana, thank you for the detailed reply. I love the idea of adding relationship value to the top rated plus badge when the same client hires multiple times. I also completely undertstand limiting the number of badges so as to not dilute their prominence. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
77 of 339

This is right in line of where Upwork is going. Keeping the top 3% of the freelancers, and faciliting the hookup to a small number of Enterprise level clients.

Most or all of the updates in 2020 been initiated to further the above directive.

Edit to add: I like working for small companies. I left the corporate world for a reason.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
78 of 339

most logo design projects have $100 budget - that means the designer has to be awarded 100 logo design projects and finish them within 365 days.
oh, and most of those projects are never awarded to anyone

...at least I don't see that stupid rocket next to my name anymore - so that's a plus ;-) 

EDIT: ...and the rocket is back...meh...

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Arsalan A Member Since: Oct 1, 2015
79 of 339

Hi pandora, May i ask to you,  Why you left the corporate world? and coming on small size business models? Beacuse I am looking forward to wrok with corporate world companies. But Now I like to work as small size companies.. 

Highlighted
Grace M Member Since: Apr 26, 2018
80 of 339

Hi, i'd like to know if project size is determined solely by price. What if $6k+ design projects are done in around 3 months?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS