Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New test to refund Connects on no-hire contracts

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Tom O Member Since: Apr 13, 2016
21 of 120

This sounds like a great idea. Maybe you can also makke an effort to stop advertising projects as open when they already have someone hired or at least make it more clear someone has been hored. I am not sure why this happens at all.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
22 of 120

Tom,

Thanks for your feedback. Some clients may keep the job posting open if they plan to hire more than one freelancer on it. If they have already hired somebody through the job posting, that'll be reflected in the Activity on this job section like this. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Carol T Member Since: Aug 7, 2015
23 of 120

This is great because many jobs posted here (at least in my field of editing) are posted on other sites, and often the candidate is chosen from another site and the job sits dormant here. 

The 20 percent taken out, added to the withdrawal fees (which add up), and the amount charged to the clients, has both freelancers and clients migrating to other sites. 

The lack of policing the site for scammers doesn't help the overall reputation. I see jobs often posted listing legit companies (payment unverified), and I won't submit a proposal until I call to verify the posting is legit. Only once out of dozens of calls was there a real job post. If I can do that, why can't Upwork hire a few folks to do the same? It would weed out the scams and restore integrity to this site. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
24 of 120

Interesting. I believed that Upwork instituted paid connects to cut down on frivolous bidding and improve the marketplace, but it looks like those who insisted it was just a money grab were right.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
25 of 120

apparently, the grab was not big enough, lol
in my category (design) jobs have 50 proposals within one hour from posting - so, the situation is the same regarding number of proposals...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
26 of 120

Sanja D wrote:

apparently, the grab was not big enough, lol
in my category (design) jobs have 50 proposals within one hour from posting - so, the situation is the same regarding number of proposals...

Look for that number to climb when freelancers can keep recycling the same batch of connects.

Highlighted
Joseph D Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
27 of 120

I think overall this is a good effort. 

I would like to see a limit for the number invites someone can make for a job at least until they have some experience or have created a job on Upwork. Time and Time again I see people asking for free marketing proposals in the job description and then inviting 20 to 50 people. Since we cannot see that number until 24 hours have passed it does not seem fair to spend connects and reply promptly. All you can do is save the proposal and return to see if it is a bonafide request. 

I have also seen people utilizing Upwork to invite over a 100 people and then required us to complete a Google Doc for application. Many times this has not been anything more than an inexpensive way to conduct a survey. Seems like there should be guidelines to prevent people from doing this especially new accounts which probably are not even legitimate.

Highlighted
Md M Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
28 of 120

PLEASE NEVER CANCEL IT!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
29 of 120

Lena E wrote:

Starting today, we are previewing a new process with Connects based on a considerable amount of feedback we have heard here in the forums about Connects. This includes refunding Connects on contracts that don’t hire and have gone dormant; along with allowing freelancers to submit proposals for some jobs for “free” (no Connects required) if the job has been posted for a while and hasn’t received any proposals.

We are testing out these experiences on different job posts in the marketplace that are chosen randomly as part of this test. So you may see these changes when submitting proposals to some jobs but not others. We are continuously looking at ways to improve your experience on Upwork and will be monitoring this test to see how these changes will affect how freelancers and clients use our marketplace.

When the test is all over, will this be rolled out for all jobs or select jobs?

ETA: It would make a lot of sense to roll this out for some, and not all jobs (e.g. for only jobs by clients with very low hire rate).

Highlighted
Katie B Member Since: Feb 6, 2020
30 of 120

Abinadab A wrote:

When the test is all over, will this be rolled out for all jobs or select jobs?

ETA: It would make a lot of sense to roll this out for some, and not all jobs (e.g. for only jobs by clients with very low hire rate).

It would be so interesting to know those fields where there client hire rate is very low; based on my experience, architecture is one of those (and I did notice the lovely blue beta testing dot about connects on some architectural jobs today).  If they are going to roll this for some and not all on the basis that those fields have higher rates of jobs expiring with no activity, they are going to have to make that information known....or still deal with a lot of complaining.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS