Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New test to refund Connects on no-hire contracts

Highlighted
Andrew C Member Since: Mar 2, 2020
41 of 206

Just saw something interesting.

Looking at a project to bid on - now has a highlighted section on the right side - if this project closes or expires without someone being chosen - your bid credits are refunded.

Late last year I demanded that they do this. Even though credits are now much cheaper, I can easily blow through 80 credits in just 2-3 days.

So... keep hammering away at them folks, they'll come around eventually.

Slow as molasses, but hpefully they'll come around.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
42 of 206

Doesn't this negate at least part of the intent between behind paid connects?   Naive me thought part of the reason was to winnow down nonsensical and/or bot bids.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
43 of 206

Wendy C wrote:

Doesn't this negate at least part of the intent between behind paid connects?   Naive me thought part of the reason was to winnow down nonsensical and/or bot bids.

I don't think that it had the intended effect, though (if that ever was the intended effect). All of the projects that I've been bidding on have had just as many proposals as previously. Plus it probably wasn't worth the extra customer service time that must have been required to respond to all of the complaints. 

If Upwork really wanted to cut down on the number of bad proposals that clients are receiving, they'd stop auto-accepting dubious new freelancers all the time.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
44 of 206

Christine wrote "If Upwork really wanted to cut down on the number of bad proposals that clients are receiving, they'd stop auto-accepting dubious new freelancers all the time."

+1,000,000

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
45 of 206

If Upwork really wanted to cut down on the number of bad proposals that clients are receiving, they'd stop auto-accepting dubious new freelancers all the time.

+ googolplex

Highlighted
Abeerah H Member Since: Nov 1, 2018
46 of 206

It sounds a nice initiative. Many times, we freelancers lose our precious connects (precious, since we now have to buy them anyway) to the projects where clients are least interested to see the proposals they get. They simply post a project and then go away for good, leaving us with a loss of connects.

Apart from refunding connects, I feel there also should be some policy for such clients to check back their projects. If they aren't interested in hiring anyone, they should necessarily close the project. This will also be helpful for freelancers who keep scheduling their tasks as they bid on new projects. When they would know that a project is gone, they will be ready to bid on a new one instead of waiting to hear back on their proposal.

Highlighted
David M Member Since: Jul 12, 2015
47 of 206

Yay!  You finally listened to some of the feedback.

Monetization:

It would be interesting to know how much money you guys made from all the jobs with 20-50 applicants and no hire due to expiry, since all freelancers were moved over to paid connects.  I'm guessing it's more money than the corresponding spend on customer support to deal with all the irate freelancers demanding their connects back!

This is taken from your own quarterly report, so you admit to the byproduct of increased monetization, but exactly how much did you make from the community?  I've attached the report here if anyone wants to read it, there's some good things in there.

"Our overall take rate in Q4 was 14.6%, up from 14.3% one year prior. Our marketplace take rate improved to 13.4% in Q4 compared to 12.8% a year prior. We achieved this take rate improvement by making several changes last year:
1. We saw good adoption of our new paid client subscription plans, which have higher monetization characteristics both in the subscription fee and take rate.
2. We also changed both the cost of Connects—which are the virtual tokens used by freelancers when submitting proposals—and the number of Connects required to submit a proposal. This was part of an effort to improve proposal quality, but a byproduct of this was improving monetization in the back half of 2019.
3. Lastly, we increased our client payment fee for Upwork Basic and Plus from 2.75% to 3%.

"

I'm one of those and customer support have refunded my connects on the rare ocassion, so it can and does happen, you just need to pester them, especially those freelancers that have been here since before the connects era.  Then perhaps this test might be adopted permanently.

Can I suggest that Clients who are not verified or have a low hiring percentage, or who are also freelancers/farmers looking for the lowest bidder, also be charged connects to post a job, especially those who invite 100 freelancers only to try and get them to register on their site or do some sort of survey for free.  That way when they don't hire it costs them money and you'll have less scammers out there.

Also could you please share with the community the messaging regarding connects that is communicated to the Clients, if anything at all is sent to them.  I'm not sure Clients are informed that every applicant spends both time and money applying to their job posts, because if they did, perhaps they would have the common decency to respond to all applicants, rejecting with the appropriate reason, as well as closing the job once someone is hired (when they're specifically looking to hire only 1 freelancer)  it's not that hard to enforce this - introduce a forced pop-up on hiring that not only asks the client to respond before continuing, but also notifies all the other applicants that there's been a hire on the job they spent time and money applying for, so they can see who was actually hired, compare skills and bids, so they can learn and concentrate their efforts elsewhere.

ETA: I love the blue radio button with tip - perhaps you could use that elsewhere on the site, for example when a freelancer is about to withdraw their application - reminding them that they won't receive their connects back if they do - or when it says 6 connects to apply for a job, that you remind freelancers that that number is actually dynamic and could fluctuate from 1 to 6 depending on the amount of applicants.  Not everyone comes to the community or reads these messages, so this sort of communication could save customer service time allowing them to focus on site upgrades and respond to all the scammers...

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Natalie S Member Since: Oct 12, 2018
48 of 206
THANK YOU! Very informative information from the annual report.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
49 of 206

David M wrote:

Yay!  You finally listened to some of the feedback.

Monetization:

I'm one of those and customer support have refunded my connects on the rare ocassion, so it can and does happen, you just need to pester them, especially those freelancers that have been here since before the connects era.  Then perhaps this test might be adopted permanently.

Great idea - let's all "pester" customer support so that Upwork needs to hire more personnel and raise our fees again.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Natalie S Member Since: Oct 12, 2018
50 of 206

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 05.42.58.pngIts about time.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS