Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New test to refund Connects on no-hire contracts

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Vijayvithal J Member Since: Oct 24, 2017
51 of 228

I understand that for upwork freelancers are the product and client's are the revenue source. The first goal should be to increase client satisfaction and increase the amount spent by client on upwork.

The way upwork can do so is by setting client expectations and by providing bid's whose quality is inline with the expectations.

Upwork can mine its past data to figure out what is the price band for a successful project execution  in a given category. (Or upwork can get a freelancer on upwork to do so Smiley Happy ).

While posting a job, depending on the category selected, the client should get a hint saying

1. "The price band for your category is between $XX $$$YY
  2. Experienced Freelancers in this category charge between $AA-$$$BB
  3. The average duration of successful projects is between XX days - YY Months

This basic information will ensure that

1. The platform does not become a race to the bottom of the barrel.
  2. Potential clients do not post projects asking for experts to work on a 3 months project with a budget of  $5.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
52 of 228
Well, I wouldn't hold my breath about project values increasing. To me, this policy reversal is a clear indication that Upwork wants more cheap clients and cheap freelancers, not fewer.
Highlighted
Luis B Member Since: Sep 10, 2019
53 of 228

Upwork wants more money. And it will get it, for some time. But in the long run, it will receive less money, because of this: 

The problem is the connects. Since we have to pay to apply, we do not only try to work outside upwork but we are taking the costumers to other platforms, cheaper than upwork. You have committed two mistakes: the first was to assume that raising taxes didn't have consequences. The second was to consider that we are different from the ones that are looking for a freelancer to do a certain job. It's an illusion, we are the same... and you are treating us differently, tha is to say, unfairly: They will pay more and will have less options to choose from. And with that, Upwork will be a worst place to work. 

Highlighted
Vladimir D Member Since: Mar 2, 2020
54 of 228

And what happens to former projects where client is inactive more than one month?

At this moment I have like 2 inactive proposals and around 5 more that will fit into same group within a week.

If you force us to pay for our Connects in order to protect the clients from spamming, I think it was about a time to protect Freelancers from spammy Clients as well.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
55 of 228

Hi Vladimir,

Job postings are selected for this test randomly and not all jobs are included. If the job isn't included in the test, the connects will only be refunded if the job is closed by the client or by Upwork without a hire and won't be refunded if it expires. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Luis B Member Since: Sep 10, 2019
56 of 228

The problem is the connects. Since we have to pay to apply, we do not only try to work outside upwork but we are taking the costumers to other platforms, cheaper than upwork. You have committed two mistakes: the first was to assume that raising taxes didn't have consequences. The second was to consider that we are different from the ones that are looking for a freelancer to do a certain job. It's an illusion, we are the same... and you are treating us differently, that is to say, unfairly: They will pay more and will have less options to choose from. And with that, Upwork will be a worst place to work. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
57 of 228

So, I see a blue dot blinking, could not believe my eyes! First I thought maybe it's one of these gender reveals gone wrong, but no - kept blinking! 

What's up with that? Which kind of job does qualify for it? Does the client need to pay for it, click a button, or what?

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
58 of 228

Hi Martina,

I've merged your comment with the announcement thread we have about this test where we've shared some information about it. Please, let us know if you have any further questions.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Stephanie O Member Since: Mar 3, 2020
59 of 228

No just no-hire contracts, but I think connects should be refunded if clients do not choose to hire you. Also, I have noticed a lot of freelancers advertising on the job board as clients. These should be monitored and removed.

Highlighted
Fateh S Member Since: Oct 4, 2016
60 of 228

I am unable to understand the policy of refundable connects. If client Hire Me only then connects will be deducted. If he doesn't hire anyone only then I'll get my connects back?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS