Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New test to refund Connects on no-hire contracts

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
61 of 228

Hi Fateh,

Connects are refunded only when a client closes their job without hiring, or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service.

But, at the moment we also have a test to refund Connects on no-hire contracts. To learn more about this check out the information Lena posted on this thread Here. Thank you.

Untitled
Highlighted
Edoardo N Member Since: May 2, 2011
62 of 228

It would be great if freelancers can have a chance to comment on the "Job post" just because often clients have unfair and senseless requests like "we require -Hi quality- work but we have a really tight budget"...i read job post like this everyday and i think we freelancer have to get a chance to comment on this showing our disappointment, i think it is not correct that i try to waste my connects just to say the client that his request is unfair but i think we should be able to get the message to the customer.

Hope this could be keep in consideration for future Upwork updates.

Ciao 👋

Edo

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
63 of 228

Edoardo N wrote:

It would be great if freelancers can have a chance to comment on the "Job post" just because often clients have unfair and senseless requests like "we require -Hi quality- work but we have a really tight budget"...i read job post like this everyday and i think we freelancer have to get a chance to comment on this showing our disappointment, i think it is not correct that i try to waste my connects just to say the client that his request is unfair but i think we should be able to get the message to the customer.

If you think that the budget is unfair, then just ignore the project or bid with a price that you think IS fair. You're definitely wasting your connects if you're just bidding on projects in order to complain to the client.

Highlighted
Michael C Member Since: Oct 7, 2011
64 of 228

A thumbs up from me, and I hope the test evolves into a permanent policy in due course.

I have just applied for a job covered by the refund test which ordinarily I would have skipped as I think there is a high chance the job won't happen as I'm not convinced its technically feasible. But, maybe there is a job there to be done, but just not as described due to the client's limited knowledge.  Maybe with some encouragement and pointing in the right direction they might hire their first freelancer on upwork.

The current structure of connects makes it hard to point prospective clients in the right direction - I rarely used my full free monthly allocation of connects so occaisonally was happy to 'waste' the odd couple on a polite pointer knowing I was never going to win the job. I certainly don't now.

The zero connects to apply test seems to imply it will apply to posts with no applicants after a period of time. I see a couple of problems here, firstly I suspect few freelancers trawl back through posts older than a day, and secondly I feel the cut off of no applicants is too restrictive.  The first could be addressed by a search criteria/filter for posts with 0,1,2,4, or 6 connect fee ... which I feel would be a useful addition anyway, as would be the ability to search/filter for posts with  less than 5, 5-10 , 10-15 etc applicants.  I would probably apply for more jobs if I could quickly identify those with fewest applicants.

Highlighted
Jarrod D Member Since: Feb 26, 2020
65 of 228

I'm really excited that this is officially a thing, but is this different than what I've noticed in the bast few months (and especially in the past few weeks)? I can see in my connects history that I have already received refunded connects when a job has been cancelled (or, according to emails I've received, expired).

Highlighted
Michele William C Member Since: May 19, 2018
66 of 228

Good news that you are rethinking the platform's connects policy - in my opinion, it is unfair that freelancers have to just pay to apply for work and, at least in my case, it has certainly reduced my activity on the platform. There must be a better way to prevent clients from being inundated with unsuitable candidates for their assignments - for instance, simply improving and expanding the range of parameters available to clients when defining the freelancer profile they are looking for, and at the same time making it impossible for anyone who doesn't fully meet all those criteria to submit an application....  

In any case, I don't understand how Upwork calculates the number of collects for each assignment.  Today I noticed a small and urgent translation job, for which I would have put in a bid of USD 20.  It was a one-off job with no prospect of further collaboration.  And yet it called for 6 connects!  (I decided not to apply, but it's annoying because I would have been immediately available to do the work.)

Highlighted
Luis B Member Since: Sep 10, 2019
67 of 228
It's arbitrary the calcul. You cannot determine the price of a
product before it's price has been established in the market...
I am tryin to take my clients and the other that I talk to other platforms
in other to put some pressure on Upwork
Highlighted
Jack M Member Since: Feb 26, 2018
68 of 228

I fully agree with you. Take this assignment **Edited for Community Guidelines** . This client wants the freelancer to write 2500-3000 word articles @ $1.This job is posted today.  And Upwork wants the bidder to spend 4 bidding points to apply for the job. That is because the budget for the project is $500.

Upwork also has to go into the requirements of the clients before setting the number of bidding points that a freelancer has to invest to bid for the project.

If a project is budgeted at $2000, the bidding requirement will be 6 or 8 bidding points regardless of what the client wants from the freelancer.

Highlighted
Lola C Member Since: Jun 4, 2020
69 of 228

Dear administration of Upwork,

Thank you very much for the opportunity for the freelancers to save their money by getting back the connects in some proposals.(Connects refund) It increases the probability of the client of getting a bigger selection of freelancers plus helps the freelancers to apply for more jobs.

For people from growing countries, it is a great thing, since budget matters.

Thank you! I wish this feature became permanent Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Vipul J Member Since: Oct 15, 2017
70 of 228

Awesome. Hope this test rollout on the final way. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS