cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No feedback contracts no longer impact Job Success Score (JSS)

Highlighted
Upwork Staff
Jason M Upwork Staff Member Since: Feb 3, 2020
1 of 822

I am excited to announce a new change to the Job Success Score (JSS). We know that JSS is a hot topic. This post aims to provide transparency into the changes and answer any questions you might have. 

On November 8th, 2020, we updated the JSS calculation process to exclude contracts that ended without feedback. Before, if a freelancer or agency had a large number of contracts that ended without feedback, those contracts could have negatively impacted their JSS. 

What is JSS?

Your JSS measures and reflects your Upwork clients’ satisfaction with the projects you complete for them. You can view your score on your My Stats page and learn more about JSS here.

What does this mean?

We removed projects where clients didn't leave feedback from consideration in the JSS calculation in November. This means that it will no longer negatively impact your JSS if a client does not leave feedback at the end of a project. Note that, as a result of this change, a small set of professionals no longer had enough outcomes with different clients to earn a JSS. To minimize this impact, we reduced the minimum number of distinct clients required to earn a JSS from 3 to 2. 

What’s the problem with including contracts that end without feedback in the JSS calculation?

Picture a contract where a professional and a client work together, and at the end of it, the client does not leave feedback. Before the change, if the professional already had a high percentage of completed contracts without feedback, the professional’s JSS could have been negatively affected.

The original design was based on a study that found clients who had negative experiences would often avoid filling out the feedback form altogether instead of giving negative reviews. More recent analysis suggests this may no longer be true. As a result, we are changing the calculation to reflect today’s reality. 

How does this change affect you?

• If you had contracts before the change where a client did not leave feedback counting against your JSS, you may notice a boost in your score from this change. 
  • If you do not have sufficient outcomes from at least 2 distinct clients, you may no longer meet the threshold for JSS, and you may see your JSS go away. Getting more jobs can help minimize this impact. 

What’s next?

This is just one of several changes we’re planning to implement in the coming months, so stay tuned!

This post itself is in response to your feedback that you want to be informed when changes are made. Thanks to everyone who has offered feedback on JSS communication through our customer surveys and social media, through the Upwork Community, and directly to our team. Be on the lookout for more changes to JSS and other aspects of the Upwork experience in the near future. 

We are all looking forward to this next chapter together! 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Naheed M Member Since: Sep 29, 2020
2 of 822

Hi Jason M,

Thanks for sharing this valuable information.  After hard labor when we finish the task, the excellent feedback we receive relaxes our exhausted nerves. 

Happy to know that receiving no feedback will no more affect the Job Score Success (JSS).

Thanks a million.

Best Regards

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
3 of 822

Edited: Nov.8th is when this change will occur.  Check your emails from U ...

Many kudos to Upwork, and in particular Lena, for conveying long-term freelancer reasoning behind the reasons for this change.  When clients spend considerable money on their projects but fail to leave feedback speaks for itself why this change was needed and is greeted with Thank You!!!!

Again THANK YOU!!!

Highlighted
Tantowi Gilang P Member Since: Feb 28, 2018
4 of 822
I have lower JSS because 40% of my clients did not leave feedbacks. That's why I'm leaving upwork. JSS can affect our freelance's career and it made a huge Impact.
Highlighted
Pearlene T Member Since: Nov 6, 2020
5 of 822
My issue is the Clients who come on here sneakily trying to take your work without paying. I think upwork should take a security deposit from Clients on fixed price contracts and stop allowing to use milestone.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Marco C Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
6 of 822

I don't agree with stoping milestones. In fact milestones are the way, that i'll at least garantee part of the payment when "sneaky" clients come along. But i definitly agree that fixed price/flat rate contracts should only be approved when the client deposit the first milestone. In my view that would help to keep part of the freelancers profit, it will assure that Upwork will keep their fee, and would also keep way freeloaders looking for free work.

Highlighted
7 of 822
Some of them use the milestone to collect full work without paying and when you go in dispute Upwork is not just. They seem to more favor these deceptive clients. Even when you invoke the Non Payment Clause. I really think Upwork should put measures to safeguard freelancers. Alot of Clients come on Upwork for low cost work and some of them also come here to steal people's work and not pay and Upwork protects them because they decide whether to give money or not.
Highlighted
James Robert S Member Since: Apr 20, 2019
8 of 822

Why not just do hourly then?

Highlighted
9 of 822

Sometimes there are no hourly at the particular time that fits my field.

Highlighted
Daniel F Member Since: Apr 24, 2020
10 of 822

There are reasons. I am home with an autistic daughter that can demand my attention at any moment, even when I'm being surveilled. I work from when I wake up to when I go to sleep, but I deal with my life throughout the day as well. Also, I personally like to do as much research as I want for a project, and not worry about billable hours because I got into an article while the tracker app was turned on. Give me a job, I'll do it, and do it well. Pay me for the job, and I'm good. 

The only time I've needed a milestone was when the relationship with a client just wasn't working. I suggested she pay me a milestone for the work we had done to that point and go our separate ways, which we did. That parting was amicable, but it still reflects negatively to anyone that uses that score to judge me.