cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Thoughts on Cancelled Contracts

Highlighted
Abdul M Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
151 of 847

Wow, Its Really Great Update from Upwork.
THANK YOU!

Highlighted
Fay A Member Since: Oct 17, 2019
152 of 847

Hi Jason M

I am glad to hear this change because I am a new member, active from Sept2020. I recently completed my first job but no review so I was worried about the JSS. I don't want to chase customers for review however I feel some don't have time to do so, and this will be great, no chasing for review but still will ask for a review.

Thanks

Fay

Highlighted
Lauren A Member Since: May 25, 2020
153 of 847

Great, when will this take effect? 

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
154 of 847

Hi Lauren,

The change will be launched in November. Thank you.

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
155 of 847

Hi, Goran.

Did this new policy take effect November 1st? I haven't seen a specific date mentioned.

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
156 of 847

Hi Will,

Thank you for this question. The change hasn't taken effect yet. We plan to release it later this month and will announce once it's completed.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
157 of 847

Lauren A wrote:

Given Upwork's propensity to launch things in the first fortnight of the month, I'm wagering on Nov. the 8th.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
158 of 847

Lauren A wrote:

Lauren, have you not noticed how the apostrophe bug ruined ya profile?

The bug has since been fixed so you should edit your profile and reintroduce the apostrophes

Highlighted
Enaiyat Ghani O Member Since: Jul 11, 2017
159 of 847

I started freelancing on Upwork lately, although I created my profile back in 2017 but it was not accepted. Anyways, I have noticed one rule for calculating JSS on Upwork that seems a bit odd to me. I did not know before that if a client and a freelancer mutually agree to cancel a contract without a payment, it affects the JSS. My natural instinct was if both parties would agree mutually to end a contract, it would be fine unless there was no negative private feedback. As a new freelancer with a handful of jobs, it had a severe impact on my JSS. I have a regular client with whom I developed a good relationship. But, there was a contract that was cancelled within an hour as per our mutual decision not to proceed with it. There was no negative private feedback provided by my client, and I am still working with the same client as because of my diligent work. But, a single cancelled contract puts my JSS down from 100% to 79%. The reality is, it was none of us that made a fault; unfortunately, it punishes the freelancer not the client. 

I am just sharing here my opinion on an Upwork policy, and it definitely contradicts with other freelancers. As freelancers, you guys may realize that not all contract cancellations without payment necessary means a bad outcome for a freelancer. If the client provides a bad private review of the cancelled contract, then it would definitely mean a negative point. But, if both parties agree not to extend the contract, then I think, Upwork may reconsider their policy for the JSS algorithm in the future. I have already conveyed my feedback to the Upwork administration, and they may discuss the issue in future.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
160 of 847

Any contract theoretically consumes UW resources. If there is never any payment, then UW gets nothing and therefore, UW has a vested interest in minimizing the occurrence of contracts that get cancelled without payent. And it's reasonable to assume that *some* such contracts represent unhappy outcomes. Next time, get the client to pay you $1 and that will solve the problem.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS