🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » No feedback contracts no longer impact Job Su...
Page options

No feedback contracts no longer impact Job Success Score (JSS)

mitchell-jason
Community Member

I am excited to announce a new change to the Job Success Score (JSS). We know that JSS is a hot topic. This post aims to provide transparency into the changes and answer any questions you might have. 

On November 8th, 2020, we updated the JSS calculation process to exclude contracts that ended without feedback. Before, if a freelancer or agency had a large number of contracts that ended without feedback, those contracts could have negatively impacted their JSS. 

What is JSS?

Your JSS measures and reflects your Upwork clients’ satisfaction with the projects you complete for them. You can view your score on your My Stats page and learn more about JSS here.

What does this mean?

We removed projects where clients didn't leave feedback from consideration in the JSS calculation in November. This means that it will no longer negatively impact your JSS if a client does not leave feedback at the end of a project. Note that, as a result of this change, a small set of professionals no longer had enough outcomes with different clients to earn a JSS. To minimize this impact, we reduced the minimum number of distinct clients required to earn a JSS from 3 to 2. 

What’s the problem with including contracts that end without feedback in the JSS calculation?

Picture a contract where a professional and a client work together, and at the end of it, the client does not leave feedback. Before the change, if the professional already had a high percentage of completed contracts without feedback, the professional’s JSS could have been negatively affected.

The original design was based on a study that found clients who had negative experiences would often avoid filling out the feedback form altogether instead of giving negative reviews. More recent analysis suggests this may no longer be true. As a result, we are changing the calculation to reflect today’s reality. 

How does this change affect you?

• If you had contracts before the change where a client did not leave feedback counting against your JSS, you may notice a boost in your score from this change. 
  • If you do not have sufficient outcomes from at least 2 distinct clients, you may no longer meet the threshold for JSS, and you may see your JSS go away. Getting more jobs can help minimize this impact. 

What’s next?

This is just one of several changes we’re planning to implement in the coming months, so stay tuned!

This post itself is in response to your feedback that you want to be informed when changes are made. Thanks to everyone who has offered feedback on JSS communication through our customer surveys and social media, through the Upwork Community, and directly to our team. Be on the lookout for more changes to JSS and other aspects of the Upwork experience in the near future. 

We are all looking forward to this next chapter together! 

956 Comments
gonzales_nico
Community Member
Good day everyone!

I would like to ask, about a paused contract that has been a year, and I want to end the contract now because the client is not responding to any of my request. My question is, will it affect my JSS if I will end the contract by myself? thank you.
raviksachdeva
Community Member
Thank you so much. I'm really happy to know this. 🙂
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Gabriela,

If you have contracts that are open but no further work needs to be done, you can consider asking your clients to close them or close them yourself. Please, note that when you close a contract, the client is notified and will have 14 days to provide their feedback on the contract. If no feedback is provided on the contract by them, it will not have an impact on your score once this change is implemented. 

staticexemption
Community Member
Yes! Thank you!!! This was much needed.

I did several small writing jobs for a client ($10-$15) and they didn't leave reviews for half of them and it negatively affected my score.

I even asked them to leave reviews and offered to re-write any articles for free if they were not happy with the results. The client added one more review after that but still left several un-reviewed.

Because of that my score dropped down to around 80% and I noticed a significant decrease in responses from potential clients. I stopped using the platform after that.

Looking forward to when these changes are implemented!
orchardb
Community Member
Great news! Thanks Upwork team
chifundo
Community Member
Some clients, especially new clients, just don't know that not leaving feedback can potentially harm the JSS of a freelancer. Once the job is done, they are happy to ignore you or they simply move on. This poses a conundrum, but I'm glad Upwork has finally done something about it.
ahmedsalman26
Community Member

Thank you so much for sharing this information. It will really helpful for all the members.

pratikto_tantowi
Community Member
I have lower JSS because 40% of my clients did not leave feedbacks. That's why I'm leaving upwork. JSS can affect our freelance's career and it made a huge Impact.
activeworldcafe
Community Member

Thank you!!! This is Wonderful!!

This truly shows that you are behind our success. 

I so much appreciate this upcoming change. Excellent!!!

With abundant gratitude!

660dafdd
Community Member

Thank you. I appreciate this change.