🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » No feedback contracts no longer impact Job Su...
Page options

No feedback contracts no longer impact Job Success Score (JSS)

mitchell-jason
Community Member

I am excited to announce a new change to the Job Success Score (JSS). We know that JSS is a hot topic. This post aims to provide transparency into the changes and answer any questions you might have. 

On November 8th, 2020, we updated the JSS calculation process to exclude contracts that ended without feedback. Before, if a freelancer or agency had a large number of contracts that ended without feedback, those contracts could have negatively impacted their JSS. 

What is JSS?

Your JSS measures and reflects your Upwork clients’ satisfaction with the projects you complete for them. You can view your score on your My Stats page and learn more about JSS here.

What does this mean?

We removed projects where clients didn't leave feedback from consideration in the JSS calculation in November. This means that it will no longer negatively impact your JSS if a client does not leave feedback at the end of a project. Note that, as a result of this change, a small set of professionals no longer had enough outcomes with different clients to earn a JSS. To minimize this impact, we reduced the minimum number of distinct clients required to earn a JSS from 3 to 2. 

What’s the problem with including contracts that end without feedback in the JSS calculation?

Picture a contract where a professional and a client work together, and at the end of it, the client does not leave feedback. Before the change, if the professional already had a high percentage of completed contracts without feedback, the professional’s JSS could have been negatively affected.

The original design was based on a study that found clients who had negative experiences would often avoid filling out the feedback form altogether instead of giving negative reviews. More recent analysis suggests this may no longer be true. As a result, we are changing the calculation to reflect today’s reality. 

How does this change affect you?

• If you had contracts before the change where a client did not leave feedback counting against your JSS, you may notice a boost in your score from this change. 
  • If you do not have sufficient outcomes from at least 2 distinct clients, you may no longer meet the threshold for JSS, and you may see your JSS go away. Getting more jobs can help minimize this impact. 

What’s next?

This is just one of several changes we’re planning to implement in the coming months, so stay tuned!

This post itself is in response to your feedback that you want to be informed when changes are made. Thanks to everyone who has offered feedback on JSS communication through our customer surveys and social media, through the Upwork Community, and directly to our team. Be on the lookout for more changes to JSS and other aspects of the Upwork experience in the near future. 

We are all looking forward to this next chapter together! 

956 Comments
psinned
Community Member

There are some jobs that are completed on time as the client asked. Then they do not leave feedback. There should be a system in place where the client is penalized after not giving feedback as a set of stairs the more jobs completed without feedback the farther up the staircase they go until they reach the top and face the ultimate decision. Each step should carry a little weight (penalty).

it is not fair that we work hard and not get feedback. looking through some jobs I have seen as many as 5 no feedbacks by a client. I do not res[pond to them. 

Thank you for this opportunity.

6d5f84ea
Community Member

Finally! I think this is the smartest decision in years!!!! I have an almost perfect score, 98% of my clients give me a 5 star rating. I was in the top for 16 months and because I had no feedback my JSS dropped to 87% something that in my head doesn't make sense, and since I go down, I don't have good contracts, new clients ask more and hesitate to hire me... I hope to be benefited with this and that it is not another measure that takes to implement, I love upwork, I am since it was called Odesk but there are things that I do not understand and one of them was this.

psinned
Community Member

WHEN STARTING OUT YOU TAKE WHATEVER COMES ALONG, UNTIL YOU ARE ESTABLISHED AND THEN THE MONEY STARTS TO ROLL IN. TOO SAY YOU ONLY MADE $500.00 IS A LITTLE ARROGANT.

dawood_zubair
Community Member

Thank you so much for announcing such brilliant news. Made my day 🙂 Hurray !

grigor316
Community Member

well, but will a contract with feedback and a 5-star review affect a freelancer's JSS better than just a contract with a 5-star review and without feedback? 

irenemanalo
Community Member

Hi Jason M,

Thanks for the information! Appreciate that was noticed by Upwork. A big thanks and it's a great help for us Freelancers. Smiley Happy

Regards,

Irene

brj
Community Member

This is GREAT NEWS! Sometimes there are clients that just forget leaving a feedback, so with this new change it will help a lot to  "pump up" their profiles.

Thank you Upwork for this and we look forward to more great changes in the future.

dwightsnow
Community Member

this  should have been done a long time ago, many opportunities and members are overlooked because of a totally improperly implemented JSS.

vj3660
Community Member

Finally. I had the same issue :). Thank you for implementing this

90ad35d8
Community Member

So happy to hear this! One of my tech-averse clients could hardly manage Upwork's platform for just hiring and paying me--and when the job was done she was very happy but didn't leave feedback. I didn't want to cause her more technology anxiety, so I didn't pursue it. But it did affect my JSS at the time, which sucked.