🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » No feedback contracts no longer impact Job Su...
Page options

No feedback contracts no longer impact Job Success Score (JSS)

mitchell-jason
Community Member

I am excited to announce a new change to the Job Success Score (JSS). We know that JSS is a hot topic. This post aims to provide transparency into the changes and answer any questions you might have. 

On November 8th, 2020, we updated the JSS calculation process to exclude contracts that ended without feedback. Before, if a freelancer or agency had a large number of contracts that ended without feedback, those contracts could have negatively impacted their JSS. 

What is JSS?

Your JSS measures and reflects your Upwork clients’ satisfaction with the projects you complete for them. You can view your score on your My Stats page and learn more about JSS here.

What does this mean?

We removed projects where clients didn't leave feedback from consideration in the JSS calculation in November. This means that it will no longer negatively impact your JSS if a client does not leave feedback at the end of a project. Note that, as a result of this change, a small set of professionals no longer had enough outcomes with different clients to earn a JSS. To minimize this impact, we reduced the minimum number of distinct clients required to earn a JSS from 3 to 2. 

What’s the problem with including contracts that end without feedback in the JSS calculation?

Picture a contract where a professional and a client work together, and at the end of it, the client does not leave feedback. Before the change, if the professional already had a high percentage of completed contracts without feedback, the professional’s JSS could have been negatively affected.

The original design was based on a study that found clients who had negative experiences would often avoid filling out the feedback form altogether instead of giving negative reviews. More recent analysis suggests this may no longer be true. As a result, we are changing the calculation to reflect today’s reality. 

How does this change affect you?

• If you had contracts before the change where a client did not leave feedback counting against your JSS, you may notice a boost in your score from this change. 
  • If you do not have sufficient outcomes from at least 2 distinct clients, you may no longer meet the threshold for JSS, and you may see your JSS go away. Getting more jobs can help minimize this impact. 

What’s next?

This is just one of several changes we’re planning to implement in the coming months, so stay tuned!

This post itself is in response to your feedback that you want to be informed when changes are made. Thanks to everyone who has offered feedback on JSS communication through our customer surveys and social media, through the Upwork Community, and directly to our team. Be on the lookout for more changes to JSS and other aspects of the Upwork experience in the near future. 

We are all looking forward to this next chapter together! 

956 Comments
rupak_vfx
Community Member

True, Mine aslo there are client who were happy with my work, byt didn't leave the feedback

kmaerz517
Community Member
The JSS should be feedback only. I have perfect feedback and my JSS is 83%?
simonyan-lilit
Community Member

Great!!! Thank you!

lotayocor
Community Member

THANK YOU VERY MUCH SIR & UPWORK. GOD BLESS

488b3517
Community Member

THANK YOU SO MUCH TEAM UPWORK!!
This will surely help new freelancers like me to gain some reputation! I had 98% job success since a few months just because of a few projects that weren't having feedbacks, though the clients were so happy that they sent me a video testimonial(but due to some reason couldn't provide reviews here) Finally I will have a 100% job success I am so happy!!!!! Smiley Tongue
THANKS AGAIN!!

saimaashraf
Community Member

Wow!

Great to know that. 

I am an upworker for the last 10 years. Generally, it happens we work and get paid but clients do not leave their feedback in spite of the good work delivered. It impacts our aggregate feedback and success score. 

Bravo!

Please make another change. Whenever there comes any issue, we are left with a community bot to chat with. This bot is set on a set of questions that usually do not address the issue we face. We need human staff to get support in case of any problem or discrepancy. 

Thank you 

keeyamuthakur
Community Member

Hi Jason. 

Thank you for the valuable information you have shared. I am sure it will be helpful for all the freelancers & agencies. Looking forward to its implementation.

Best Regards

Keeyamu

saimaashraf
Community Member

Agree! 

I have been working with a client since 2015. With another, the same history. It is considered as 'Ongoing or Work in progress' with no feedback left. 

It should be considered an extra point for JSS. 

muhammadnaoman
Community Member

Sorry I was forgit to give feedback to client when contract was end. Now I give feedback and stars to my clint. Can JSS increase by this act ? Please tell.

dmarketingguru
Community Member

Dear Tantowi,

I was affected by a low JSS for more than 6 months (almost 3 months to get back my JSS above 90 and 3 more months to get back to my Top Rated badge) just because one client gave me one (1) star rating in a totally unfair and misleading way.

But I didn't give up!

Imagine the frustration I encountered when I exposed my case to Upwork support coming up with screenshots from my Upwork messages where that client was asking me money just to revise his review of one (1) star!

But I didn't give up!

When I left my full-time job almost 3 years ago and started as a full-time professional freelancer on Upwork I was sure that I will encounter lots of problems during the way since NO system is perfect. No one!

If you run away instead of finding solutions, sooner or later you'll encounter others similar or different issues but following the same attitude, it will make you weaker and weaker.

My advice to you no matter the decision you'll take is, Find solutions!