🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » No feedback contracts no longer impact Job Su...
Page options

No feedback contracts no longer impact Job Success Score (JSS)

mitchell-jason
Community Member

I am excited to announce a new change to the Job Success Score (JSS). We know that JSS is a hot topic. This post aims to provide transparency into the changes and answer any questions you might have. 

On November 8th, 2020, we updated the JSS calculation process to exclude contracts that ended without feedback. Before, if a freelancer or agency had a large number of contracts that ended without feedback, those contracts could have negatively impacted their JSS. 

What is JSS?

Your JSS measures and reflects your Upwork clients’ satisfaction with the projects you complete for them. You can view your score on your My Stats page and learn more about JSS here.

What does this mean?

We removed projects where clients didn't leave feedback from consideration in the JSS calculation in November. This means that it will no longer negatively impact your JSS if a client does not leave feedback at the end of a project. Note that, as a result of this change, a small set of professionals no longer had enough outcomes with different clients to earn a JSS. To minimize this impact, we reduced the minimum number of distinct clients required to earn a JSS from 3 to 2. 

What’s the problem with including contracts that end without feedback in the JSS calculation?

Picture a contract where a professional and a client work together, and at the end of it, the client does not leave feedback. Before the change, if the professional already had a high percentage of completed contracts without feedback, the professional’s JSS could have been negatively affected.

The original design was based on a study that found clients who had negative experiences would often avoid filling out the feedback form altogether instead of giving negative reviews. More recent analysis suggests this may no longer be true. As a result, we are changing the calculation to reflect today’s reality. 

How does this change affect you?

• If you had contracts before the change where a client did not leave feedback counting against your JSS, you may notice a boost in your score from this change. 
  • If you do not have sufficient outcomes from at least 2 distinct clients, you may no longer meet the threshold for JSS, and you may see your JSS go away. Getting more jobs can help minimize this impact. 

What’s next?

This is just one of several changes we’re planning to implement in the coming months, so stay tuned!

This post itself is in response to your feedback that you want to be informed when changes are made. Thanks to everyone who has offered feedback on JSS communication through our customer surveys and social media, through the Upwork Community, and directly to our team. Be on the lookout for more changes to JSS and other aspects of the Upwork experience in the near future. 

We are all looking forward to this next chapter together! 

956 Comments
technodeep
Community Member

Hi Jason M,

Thanks for working on JSS it is a great move. My JSS prior to this was 84% even I had completed all jobs successfully & because of which I was not eligible to apply for certain jobs that demand 90% & above JSS. I have no idea that no feedback contracts impact the JSS as few of the clients are in hurry & they just release the milestone & leave without feedback. However, after this move, my JSS is 100% & I can now apply for those jobs as well. Once again thanks for your help.

Regards

Deepak G.

abegail30dejanio
Community Member

Hi,

how about contracts that are not ended by client for a long time and those client were no longer responsive? Can we end the contract? Can it impact negatively on our JSS?

Kindly advise,

regards

engrnizam
Community Member
Good decision from up work
momographic
Community Member

I think it´s good as long upwork notify the client with this as well, I have a ton of 5 with no feedback cause they are regular clients, so it´s ridiculous to give feed each time, we know each other for long so It's not necessary. 

If would be better if the platform gives another option to charge besides USDollars since fiat money it´s about to collapse, that would be helpful, significant and a positive relevant change.

faya123
Community Member

I would like to know as well, I just finished a contract and the client is unresponsive to my messages. and the contract still open?

Is it me or these Upwork clients don't want to reply to any message even if you apply for a job that THEY INVITED you? What on earth is going on with these clients? I am glad now that this new project catalog is in place so I can focus there. 

I also wanted to know if there is any way to re-direct clients who invite me to a job interview to send to my (project catalog) so they can shop there rather than going through this headache of they ask you questions you answer them and then no answer, you check if they still need the project to be done STILL NO ANSWER. I am sorry but these people don't care sometimes and leave you hanging for weeks and they are online seeing your messages. I am very patient but I  like clients to at least respect freelancers and answer back even if it 1line of (I am not ready yet). Is like giving someone a silent treatment lol. I wonder how some freelancers did this for a long time.

Fay

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Abegail and Fay,

Keeping contracts open should not affect your score negatively. That said, if you have contracts that are still open but no further work needs to be done, you can consider asking your clients to close them or, if the client doesn't close them, you can close them yourself. Please, note that when you close a contract, the client is notified and will have 14 days to provide their feedback on the contract. If no feedback is provided on the contract by them, it will not have an impact on your score once this change is implemented.

w62n
Community Member

Great news! This is long, LONG overdue. It never made ANY sense to me why MY score should be negatively impacted for activity a client did or did not undertake.

Now, if we can just get rid of that ridiculous "private feedback" thing...

boris268
Community Member

I could never understand how a single bad review can drop your rating on such high percantage but positive ones really really move it small amount. I once had one mediocre review and then only after 4, five stars contracts my rating jumped. It's just ridiculus.

w62n
Community Member

#threadhijacker

cozylife
Community Member

SWEET!!! I'm glad that Upwork is changing this. Usually they make changes for the worse, but this time it's a significant change in the right direction.

Awesome job, guys. Keep coming back to the light side. 😉