🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » No feedback contracts no longer impact Job Su...
Page options

No feedback contracts no longer impact Job Success Score (JSS)

mitchell-jason
Community Member

I am excited to announce a new change to the Job Success Score (JSS). We know that JSS is a hot topic. This post aims to provide transparency into the changes and answer any questions you might have. 

On November 8th, 2020, we updated the JSS calculation process to exclude contracts that ended without feedback. Before, if a freelancer or agency had a large number of contracts that ended without feedback, those contracts could have negatively impacted their JSS. 

What is JSS?

Your JSS measures and reflects your Upwork clients’ satisfaction with the projects you complete for them. You can view your score on your My Stats page and learn more about JSS here.

What does this mean?

We removed projects where clients didn't leave feedback from consideration in the JSS calculation in November. This means that it will no longer negatively impact your JSS if a client does not leave feedback at the end of a project. Note that, as a result of this change, a small set of professionals no longer had enough outcomes with different clients to earn a JSS. To minimize this impact, we reduced the minimum number of distinct clients required to earn a JSS from 3 to 2. 

What’s the problem with including contracts that end without feedback in the JSS calculation?

Picture a contract where a professional and a client work together, and at the end of it, the client does not leave feedback. Before the change, if the professional already had a high percentage of completed contracts without feedback, the professional’s JSS could have been negatively affected.

The original design was based on a study that found clients who had negative experiences would often avoid filling out the feedback form altogether instead of giving negative reviews. More recent analysis suggests this may no longer be true. As a result, we are changing the calculation to reflect today’s reality. 

How does this change affect you?

• If you had contracts before the change where a client did not leave feedback counting against your JSS, you may notice a boost in your score from this change. 
  • If you do not have sufficient outcomes from at least 2 distinct clients, you may no longer meet the threshold for JSS, and you may see your JSS go away. Getting more jobs can help minimize this impact. 

What’s next?

This is just one of several changes we’re planning to implement in the coming months, so stay tuned!

This post itself is in response to your feedback that you want to be informed when changes are made. Thanks to everyone who has offered feedback on JSS communication through our customer surveys and social media, through the Upwork Community, and directly to our team. Be on the lookout for more changes to JSS and other aspects of the Upwork experience in the near future. 

We are all looking forward to this next chapter together! 

956 Comments
azhar_upwork
Community Member

She is true, same has happened with me.. One of the Client offered 5000 leads in $800 and I spent 01 month to finish that, Once I submitted the work he refused to pay and started threatening me to give a bad review if I did not accept half price. Later on, he ran away and didn't pay me anything

I reported the same via dispute, They did nothing. That Client is again on Upwork and getting his work done, I have reported the same again to Upwork support team but they didn't took any action

7bb3a47b
Community Member

how would you submit thousands of connections here? 

AndreaG

Hi Brian,

Could you please clarify your question? If you are looking for information about Connects, you can visit this help article.

Thanks!

8804d4ba
Community Member

Hi,

So a client wanted a "test" job which she opened an hourly contract for me for. Eventually she decided to go with my and offered me a fixed rate contract. However, she did this by abruptly closing the other one without anything paid. Will this affect my JSS?

JoanneP

Hi Alyana, 

If a contract fails to lead to any earnings, your Job Success Score (JSS) will be negatively impacted. Contracts with no feedback are also no longer included in the calculation.

abinadab-agbo
Community Member
Per the new rules, her JSS will be negatively impacted if the client leaves negative feedback on the zero pay contract.
If the client leaves no feedback, the new rule says it will not be included in the JSS calculation.
subodhsri2
Community Member

While it's a good news, here is my advice.

If your clients didn't take time to close contract, they won't provide feedback either even if you closed the contract.

Do not end up closing all of your idle contracts in one go. Your new clients will see many "No Feedback Provided" contracts on your shining profile. And, chances are they will not hire you despite having a great JSS.

yeshel10
Community Member

Hi, I have been searching for answers to my query on the internet but can't find any.

One of my clients initially offered me an hourly contract, and since he is new to UpWork, he didn't understand how the payments worked for hourly contracts. I tried to help, but he ended the contract without paying and then offer me a fixed-price contract to pay me. The work is done, and payment has also been received now.

Would the contract that was ended without payment affect my JSS? Because it definitely wasn't a case of client dissatisfaction.

christine20
Community Member
Hello dear,
How I wish this response came a little earlier than this! It is the best response I have read in the JSS message string!
LuiggiR

Hi Yeshel, 

The feedback on the contract will be taken into consideration regardless if it has earnings or not. Please, note that when a contract is closed, the client is notified and will have 14 days to provide their feedback on the contract. If no feedback is provided on the contract by them, it will not have an impact on your score.

Thank you.