🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » No feedback contracts no longer impact Job Su...
Page options

No feedback contracts no longer impact Job Success Score (JSS)

mitchell-jason
Community Member

I am excited to announce a new change to the Job Success Score (JSS). We know that JSS is a hot topic. This post aims to provide transparency into the changes and answer any questions you might have. 

On November 8th, 2020, we updated the JSS calculation process to exclude contracts that ended without feedback. Before, if a freelancer or agency had a large number of contracts that ended without feedback, those contracts could have negatively impacted their JSS. 

What is JSS?

Your JSS measures and reflects your Upwork clients’ satisfaction with the projects you complete for them. You can view your score on your My Stats page and learn more about JSS here.

What does this mean?

We removed projects where clients didn't leave feedback from consideration in the JSS calculation in November. This means that it will no longer negatively impact your JSS if a client does not leave feedback at the end of a project. Note that, as a result of this change, a small set of professionals no longer had enough outcomes with different clients to earn a JSS. To minimize this impact, we reduced the minimum number of distinct clients required to earn a JSS from 3 to 2. 

What’s the problem with including contracts that end without feedback in the JSS calculation?

Picture a contract where a professional and a client work together, and at the end of it, the client does not leave feedback. Before the change, if the professional already had a high percentage of completed contracts without feedback, the professional’s JSS could have been negatively affected.

The original design was based on a study that found clients who had negative experiences would often avoid filling out the feedback form altogether instead of giving negative reviews. More recent analysis suggests this may no longer be true. As a result, we are changing the calculation to reflect today’s reality. 

How does this change affect you?

• If you had contracts before the change where a client did not leave feedback counting against your JSS, you may notice a boost in your score from this change. 
  • If you do not have sufficient outcomes from at least 2 distinct clients, you may no longer meet the threshold for JSS, and you may see your JSS go away. Getting more jobs can help minimize this impact. 

What’s next?

This is just one of several changes we’re planning to implement in the coming months, so stay tuned!

This post itself is in response to your feedback that you want to be informed when changes are made. Thanks to everyone who has offered feedback on JSS communication through our customer surveys and social media, through the Upwork Community, and directly to our team. Be on the lookout for more changes to JSS and other aspects of the Upwork experience in the near future. 

We are all looking forward to this next chapter together! 

956 Comments
maaninou_walid
Community Member

Hi

I have completed more than 10 jobs with different clients, but i've no job success score appearing in my profile.

I have checked the conditions to have the JSS here "https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068358-My-Job-Success-Score" and i think i meet al the conditions.

Thank you

AndreaG

Hi Walid,

More than 90% of freelancers have a score after 5 projects, and nearly all freelancers have scores after completing eight projects. I checked and it looks like you have a number of contracts that ended without feedback, and contracts without feedback are no longer considered as outcomes towards your JSS. You can check this out in the announcement here.

Thanks!

maaninou_walid
Community Member

Thanks a lot.

salma_sultani9
Community Member

why the profile takes too long to update? my current completed job is also not updated yet. 
yes thank you previous problem solved.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Hi Salma,

Our team reached out to you via ticket to assist you further with your contract and feedback. Thank you.
adeiza-martins
Community Member
Do feedbacks received while the job is still on add to jss score?
JoanneP

Hi Martins,

It seems like you are referring to the Mid-Contract Feedback feature. Please know that this doesn't have any impact to your Job Success Score. Once the project is completed, clients will still have the option to leave feedback when a contract ends, and that feedback will continue to be factored into your JSS.

arslanali800
Community Member

Hi,

I would like to know the thoughts on one small query. Will, our JSS, be the effect if the contract ended with no feedback and closed by the freelancer. A while ago, I had read that the contract with no feedback will not affect the JSS. is that mean those contracts to be excluded from the JSS score calculation? or will it still be counted in the JSS calculation?

I am looking forward to hearing very soon.

Thanks, 

Arslan Ali

AleksandarD
Community Manager

Hi Arslan,

A lack of feedback is no longer considered an outcome and, as a result, should no longer impact your Job Success Score. Before this change, if too many clients did not leave feedback for you, it could negatively impact your JSS. For more information about JSS, you can check out this help article.

Thank you.

nitinsharma91
Community Member

Hi Upwork!

Concern related to no activity + no payment fixed price contracts impacting JSS if the client leaves negative private feedback

I've got a fixed price contract where the client hired me for consultation calls related to his social media channel. However, the client stopped responding after creating the contract/first milestone. And since this is a consultation call project, I really can't do the job if the client is NOT responding.

So my question is: Why no activity, no payment, no response from client job(s) should be disabled from leaving any private feedback and thus impact the JSS?

As technically here Upwork or the freelancer can't force the client to respond