cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No feedback contracts no longer impact Job Success Score (JSS)

Highlighted
Sohail K Member Since: Apr 16, 2019
11 of 832

While you at it - what about PRIVATE FEEDBACK. The JSS is seriously confusing with that one. 

My JSS went from 99 to 81%, and I cannot make any sense of it. It happened after my latest (small job.)

For that job, I got 5* - great feedback and repeated order from the same client.
For the second job, I got 5*, and the client explicitly told me he was happy with the work.

But my JSS dropped, and someone told me the client might be leaving you poor "private" feedback. So what gives? I mean, how would I know if a client is LYING TO MY FACE and telling me my work is great and leaving me 5 stars only to bring down my rating with private feedback. Why are private clients being offered a platform to foster this dishonesty, to begin with? 

Whether a client likes your work or hates it - he should say so publically and in a way that is open to both writers and other recruiters. This "hidden" feedback is a system that clients could exploit. 

Highlighted
Dr. Sara F Member Since: Aug 8, 2020
12 of 832
The exact same thing happened to me. I lost my Rising Talent badge two days after earning it. After contacting Upwork support three times, they FINALLY admitted that it was due to negative private feedback. This particular client left me a 4.8 rating publicly, but decided to throw me under the bus in private. She even hired me again for a different contract before I knew what happened! I think the private system really needs to go. I’d like feedback to my face, not behind my back. Private feedback is not at all constructive. What can I do better next time? Only Upwork knows...
Highlighted
Deseree L Member Since: Jan 11, 2016
13 of 832
I have been telling Upwork about this private feedback thing for years. It
should not factor into JSS because clients abuse freelancers this way.
Highlighted
Krizzia Faye A Member Since: Jun 4, 2020
14 of 832

Hi Deseree,

I really hope Upwork would consider what you told them. Mine was worst! from 93% to 78% and Upwork asked me to leave a feedback to trustpilot for them so I left them 2 stars. I became so frustrated!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Deseree L Member Since: Jan 11, 2016
15 of 832
Yeah, it's horrible. From a business perspective, they lose millions
annually because they underestimate the revenue that could be if they
closed these vulnerabilities and ensured freelancers had a fair,
trustworthy platform to work from. We would work on more projects, and
clients would come to the platform and stay. They really don't have a good
understanding of the clients and how they work.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Lucio Ricardo M Member Since: May 16, 2018
16 of 832

some clients tend to do that. They keep contracts open, and if you fail, they sudenly close all the contracts throw 3 start feedback and bad private feedback apparently. But, I feel a taboo in asking the clients to asking them to close contracts (I feel that is like being unwilling to work with them anymore). and worse closing the contracts by yourself without telling them: I feel that it is rudeness.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Sameed A Member Since: Nov 7, 2019
17 of 832

It happened to me also totally disappointed!

Highlighted
Krizzia Faye A Member Since: Jun 4, 2020
18 of 832

I am relieved that someone brought this issue up, thanks Sohail.

Mine was worst! from 93% to 78% and Upwork asked me to leave a feedback to trustpilot for them so I left them 2 stars. I became so frustrated!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Luiggi R Moderator Member Since: Jul 3, 2020
19 of 832

Hi Krizzia,

I understand how concerning this can be for you. I'd like to reiterate that there are other factors that are taken into consideration in the JSS calculation, such as the overall number of jobs completed and both private and public feedback. I suggest that you check this help article that better explains how the JSS is calculated.

~ Luiggi

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
20 of 832

Sohail K wrote:

While you at it - what about PRIVATE FEEDBACK. The JSS is seriously confusing with that one. 

My JSS went from 99 to 81%, and I cannot make any sense of it. It happened after my latest (small job.)

For that job, I got 5* - great feedback and repeated order from the same client.
For the second job, I got 5*, and the client explicitly told me he was happy with the work.

But my JSS dropped, and someone told me the client might be leaving you poor "private" feedback. So what gives? I mean, how would I know if a client is LYING TO MY FACE and telling me my work is great and leaving me 5 stars only to bring down my rating with private feedback. Why are private clients being offered a platform to foster this dishonesty, to begin with? 

Whether a client likes your work or hates it - he should say so publically and in a way that is open to both writers and other recruiters. This "hidden" feedback is a system that clients could exploit. 

Clients have faced backlash and threats of, and actual compromise of their systems from freelancers who were angry at some "honest" public feedback they received.

It is therefore, understandable why some choose to keep things private a bit.

And not to mention the usual badgering clients receive when they give a freelancer anything less than 5 stars...

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS