cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No feedback contracts no longer impact Job Success Score (JSS)

chris_maroulis
Christina M Member Since: May 30, 2016
81 of 914

I totally agree with you. 

JSS is an unfair, not supportive and definately not accurate metric which can destroy the reputation of a freelancer. Having all contracts rated by the clients with 5* and yet have a JSS lower than 70% is totally unacceptable.

Can't figure out a way to "improve" since unavoidably I automatically get filtered out of list of candidates.

I'm thinking of deleting my account as well, although I tried hard to build a good reputation. It's a shame.. 

robin-luminous
Robin F Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
82 of 914

I hear you, have had similar issues!

engrnizam
Md.Nizam U Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
83 of 914
Good decision from up work
daniel_r_fincher
Daniel F Member Since: Apr 24, 2020
84 of 914

I hear ya!

Honestly, I left Upwork a couple months back for many of the reasons you stated further down. I was a subscribing member, and between toxic clients ruining my score and the steep commission (that wasn't reduced by being a subscribing member!) I wasn't happy. Upwork was blowing up during COVID and you're right, they were entertaining clients more than their freelancers.

The thing is, freelancing is a marathon, not a sprint. The freelancers who have been here forever and have made good money, they are good freelancers and will be fine with or without Upwork. They know it and Upwork knows it. BTW, there are as many **bleep** freelancers as clients. I say all this because it looks like Upwork is trying to address some of these grievances. 

The JSS is being fixed, fees are reduced now with client longevity, etc. As the holidays get closer and I explore the options, Upwork remains a strong contender for true freelance work. I tried Flexjobs, but thats more for people wanting a full-time remote working gig.

taxstrategies
Charles M Member Since: Oct 28, 2015
85 of 914

When a client comes back to you multiple projects and only leaves feedback the first time, the client is "voting with their feet" and showing their approval.  Repetitive contracts should be viewed favorably.  

calado-marco
Ace Contributor
Marco C Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
86 of 914

Totally agree. I have a steady client over than 3 years now that regularly has sent me more than 50 jobs alone. I've worked with him so many times that he doesn't even bother to close the previous job! Over all he may have posted 5 (the most) feedbacks, and the number of closed jobs with him may be around twenty-ish ...?! Like you said; when a client comes back, even without feedback, that should count as a positive feedback. But i do understand that's something hard to follow, from a upwork's point of view.

29350bfa
Ahmed A Member Since: Nov 6, 2020
87 of 914

I concur! Especially when the same customer leaves positive feedback over, and over. What's to stop Upwork from thinking that you have a friend that's "pimping your JSS"? Haha Kind of like when a music corporation buys its own artists' albums, so that the stats would be jaw-dropping, while also giving people incentive to do the same. 😂

calado-marco
Ace Contributor
Marco C Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
88 of 914

Hi Ahmed.

The "friend pimping up" the JSS is trully a fair point! But for that to happen the job must be closed an paid for, and in that case and if that happens then Upwork will get their fees anyway!! So the question is; why would they bother? But that is trully a great point!!

29350bfa
Ahmed A Member Since: Nov 6, 2020
89 of 914

Marco C wrote:

Hi Ahmed.

The "friend pimping up" the JSS is trully a fair point! But for that to happen the job must be closed an paid for, and in that case and if that happens then Upwork will get their fees anyway!! So the question is; why would they bother? But that is trully a great point!!

Howdy Marco,

That totally slipped my mind, and ironically, I only remembered that when I mentioned working for free sometimes on another reply, and it hit me like, "Wait, Upwork would kill if they knew I help people sometimes for free, even if it's part of an old-school non-technology-dependent warranty." I even say to my customers sometimes, "You don't have to pay for EVERYTHING, and human decency precedes silly algorithms. I know there are a lot of scammers out there, but not everyone is out to get us." I intend to be one of the first people to disappoint Bertrand Russell on the fact that the problem with the world is that wise people are full of doubts, while fools are confident. I don't need a digital babysitter to teach me to provide the best service imaginable with a 100% customer satisfaction, and I just find fool-me-once scammers very myopic, and pathetic. I mean, why would you scam people where you could help them, and win them over for life? What's so sneaky or smart about that? And the ironic thing is that, whenever I get scammed, I make a lot more in the next few weeks to the point where I'm like, "What scam? That feels like a donation now!" 😂 And even when I refund a customer who misjugded me, while the amount is relatively significant, 20 satisfied customers, including returning ones, make up for that tiny pickle. People underestimate how powerful positive thinking can be. I dropped out of university although I was top of my class in the English Department, and I made 6 grand in the next few months for the first time ever. That memory alone is like Thor's hammer. 😂 I'm never going to stress myself over the fact that some sneaky freeloader thought they could rob me blind, and ruin my day like I'm their own personal jackpot, and they're on a roll. 😂 It may seem gullible, but I always look at the bright side of things eventually even if I complain at first. E.g., freeloaders in my line of work can be THE perfect target practice. 😂😁 One thing I learned over the years: Don't make plans you can't afford YET, don't expect anything from anyone, and contentedness will be your default state of mind. 😂✌ Cheers, irmao! 😃

w62n
Ace Contributor
Wayne G Member Since: Mar 14, 2018
90 of 914

wouldnt your "friend" have to be hiring and paying you for jobs to make that work?