🐈
» Forums » Bulletin Board » Now is the time to act!
Page options
haydenb
Community Member

Now is the time to act!

Upwork Community, 

Our voices matter. 

Our commitments matter. 

Our actions matter.

We are deeply saddened by the recent events of discrimination and violence against Black people in our communities. We acknowledge George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and the many other Black people who have needlessly lost their lives due to racist violence and an inequitable justice system. We are outraged, and we are motivated to take action for the betterment of our communities. At Upwork, we do not condone any form of racism on our platform. Black Lives Matter and we stand with our Black community now and every day.  

On the Upwork platform, we will continue to work to build a space where people of all races, backgrounds, and nationalities can tap into unparalleled work opportunities. Our product is anchored in our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. We will continue to break down the barriers that too often block talented people, including Black people, from accessing opportunities and realizing their potential. We are deeply committed to furthering opportunities for Black people on our platform, including taking steps to identify potential biases and to reduce the propagation of hiring preferences around race, nationality, gender, and ethnicity on Upwork. 

We are expanding our outreach into our communities where we are committed to the eradication of police violence, particularly violence against Black people. To further this important work, we are donating $100,000 to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund to help fight racial injustice. We are also matching an additional $100,000 in employee donations to organizations supporting the Black community. You can learn more about our efforts in the open letter posted here by Erin Thomas, Upwork’s Head of Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging.

At Upwork, we are channeling our outrage into work to actively build a company and a society that Black people deserve. 

Hayden Brown

President and CEO, Upwork

24 REPLIES 24
rhensley
Community Member

If you really care and support your black community of freelancers, then you should work to create features to help clients find diverse talent, specifically. I am a Freelancer here and as a small biz owner, I use Upwork as a Client also.

In my own experience and from what I've heard from colleagues who are literally searching for freelancers of color for specific projects, like opinion pieces, from the eye of, etc. - your current search options make that impossible to do. The same can be said for clients trying to hire more women, too.

Overall your current system for clients doesn't help them to champion diversity at all and for clients who have a culture around diversity, this matters.

In the current climate where brands are making public statements that they want to work with diverse talent, contractors, freelancer, etc - Upwork should be taking steps to help them do so.

"You can learn more about our efforts in the open letter posted here by Erin Thomas"

Went there, read it, didn't see any additional information about Upwork efforts. I did see a nice letter that addressed Upwork EMPLOYEES, however not a single mention about what you're doing for the freelance and client community on your platform.

Upwork's search filters are based on talent, and I really hope it stays that way. Color skin and gender aren't talents or skills.

Flavio S wrote:

Upwork's search filters are based on talent, and I really hope it stays that way. Color skin and gender aren't talents or skills.

Perfectly said. Deserves double kudos. In case anyone has need of freelancer of specific gender or color then the client clearly mention in project requirements like..."two female black candidates needed".

Talent and skill must not be diluted.

Flavio S wrote:

It's unfortunate that you chose to completely miss the point of my statement, so I'll give an example of why my request is one that should be seriously considered. If a media company is looking for a freelance writer to write an opinion piece on, for example, what it's like to be an American Black woman during these times of protests  - then the client is going to be looking for a black woman/womxn who is an American to write that piece, not a white male, or any other race or gender. 

Even if the freelancer has articles known by everyone in the biz (to your point of skill), if they don't fit the criteria of being a black American woman, then they are not the right freelancer for the job. Full stop. 

Scenarios above are exactly what I referred to in my original comment, It's unfortunate that some chose to assume I meant across all/every project.

I also use Upwork as Client, and my experience searching for diverse freelancers for specific projects, like the one I gave as an example, (using the current filters avail) I can still spend hours sifting through freelancers I'd like to invite to a job, especially as Upwork constantly wants to present to me freelancers they want to promote based on their algorithms. I don't know what the exact right fix is, I'm simply stating that I believe improvements can be made, as both a freelancer of color and a Client looking for freelancers of color to work with. 

So, Rochelle, you really believe that someone of any country or of any class is unable to write an article about what it means to be a black woman in America in this day and age? People all over the planet are doing that very thing. As far as Upwork is concerned, I believe that skills and talent are more important than diversity. If I wanted to hire someone, I would look for talent and not skin color.

Joan S wrote:

So, Rochelle, you really believe that someone of any country or of any class is unable to write an article about what it means to be a black woman in America in this day and age? 

To be honest, I believe that too. 

Apart from the sheer credibility aspect, how could a white male from Italy (for example) write it? 

It's pretty much like any article written in the "I" form needs the writer to have first hand and personal experience of what they are writing about.

Where I disagree with Rochelle is that it would be hard to find a black female writer to write it.

I also find the idea of adding filters for ethnicity and gender problematic. That's going in a worrying direction and would be used to exclude as often as to include...

In the vast majority of jobs on Upwork, (outside writing from a specific perspectivem acting or voiceover) ethnicity and gender should be irrelevant. 

Considering how miniscule the sample of jobs where a specific ethnicity or gender is really required actually is, there is no upside to including something that can be used to do more harm than good.

I believe a white male from Italy could interview multitudes of black women about their feelings and then write about them, as could anyone else if they wanted to do it.

I'm interested in giving preference to women of color and I'm disappointed there isn't a filter for "BIPOC" and gender (i.e. if someone wanted to give preference to trans folk). I tried to see how to message you to seek referrals but couldn't find a way. 

Hi Anita,

Thank you for your message.

I am sorry to hear how you feel about not having an option to filter freelancers using a filter for BIPOC and gender. I'll pass this along to the appropriate team and you will be updated here in case your recommendation is accepted. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork

Anita B wrote:

I'm interested in giving preference to women of color and I'm disappointed there isn't a filter for "BIPOC" and gender (i.e. if someone wanted to give preference to trans folk). I tried to see how to message you to seek referrals but couldn't find a way. 

While it's not the filter you asked about, there is a program that displays various kinds of certified diversity-contracting eligibility to  Enterprise clients, and to Upwork recruiters. Its badges are not generally visible, and represent only those freelancers who have the time and (often if not always) the money to pursue certification.
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Updates-to-the-Diversity-Certified-Badge/m-p/873177#M5...

Hi Rochelle.

Thank you for your response. You have highlighted some valid use cases and gaps in our search functionality. We will be sharing your feedback with our Product team and when we have details about any future updates to our product we will announce them here in the forums. 

-Lena

Untitled

If an upwork employees really thinks this as a credible stuff and, such a childish stuff is reaching to Product team then i must admit upwork has embarked on downward direction.

A client can simply mention in job title as 'Black Female (USA citizen) writers needed'

If an employer really wants someone to write about "what it's like to be an American Black woman during these times of protests"

temp.png

Lena E wrote:

Hi Rochelle.

Thank you for your response. You have highlighted some valid use cases and gaps in our search functionality. We will be sharing your feedback with our Product team and when we have details about any future updates to our product we will announce them here in the forums. 

-Lena

This is too easily exploited. Give freelancers the OPTION to include their gender/race. Maybe they can be used under specialized profiles only, or something.

Many many stakeholders - especially the freelancers - will have to give extensive input, in regard to avoiding exploitation.

or just indicate that they are a part of a minority group, so that the clients can actively filter results based on other factors.

petra_r
Community Member

Rochelle H wrote:
If you really care and support your black community of freelancers, then you should work to create features to help clients find diverse talent, specifically. I am a Freelancer here and as a small biz owner, I use Upwork as a Client also.

In my own experience and from what I've heard from colleagues who are literally searching for freelancers of color for specific projects, like opinion pieces, from the eye of, etc. - your current search options make that impossible to do. The same can be said for clients trying to hire more women, too.

I would have thought the fact that there is a photo on all search results makes it very easy for clients to find freelancers of colour as well as women.

Run a search, invite freelancers who are obviously what you are after. You can see it.

lenaellis
Community Member

Hi Abinadab.

I believe the thread you're referring to was the one around the minimum hourly rate charge and included comments about freelancers living in specific countries. This thread was removed as part of our Community Guidelines, as it was seen as disrespectful to members of the Community. 

Our CEO, Hayden Brown, sent an email to customers and also posted this announcement because we are not trying to be silent. We welcome discussion here in the forums and if you have any feedback about how we can do better or what we can do better, I want you to feel supported in expressing your concerns. You've been contributing to our Community forums for several years and we value your feedback. 

-Lena

Untitled

As employer, can you make filter about online users? upwork is shoing offline users. 

I am spending difficult time to find candidate but almost are offline. so I would need to send invite to only online users. I would like to send invitation to online users. 

sometime my job is urgent but some jobs are not finishing I send offline people.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for sharing your suggestions with us. For now, there is no option that will allow you to send invites only to online users. However, you can see the indicator next to the freelancer's picture that will tell you whether the freelancer is online (green), away (yellow), or offline (gray).

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi Brian, 

A freelancer can be offline for several reasons but still available to work right away if you invite them. 

Wilson

richard-santiago
Community Member

i was appearing for UPSC exam and the exam requires candidates to have knowledge of each and every event happening across the world (and not just India). So, based on that i can say this was brewing since at least a decade. Its just it has reached its boiling point.

travon martin was famous example. there was one more incident where white police used illigal technique on black guy selling loose cigarettes.

kalaani
Community Member

On the Upwork platform, we will continue to work to build a space where people of all races, backgrounds, and nationalities can tap into unparalleled work opportunities. Our product is anchored in our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives.

Your geographical based freelancer filtering system will not helping out  this. It should be slightly modify. A system like google use , "Freelancers around you " will be fair than country wise filtering . Now this global platform preventing somewhat, hire somebody  from other country  .

arsalanodesk
Community Member

In today's technology this is the great time to act! Many people are working Online and get very authentic employees as technology is expanding day by day! Employees are seeking jobs and upwork is the only platform who fullfill their talent and skills with great rewards! Keep it up

espoon68
Community Member

I love what Upwork is doing for the black community, as well as all freelancers. I want to thank you for acknowledging there is an issue and putting money behind the cause

I do believe that it is important to keep a level playing field, a person's skin color should not factor into why a client making the selection. However, there are times when a client may feel more comfortable working with someone that they initially feel a connection with; whether it be gender, skin color, or even school alma mater.  I do not work to be singled out only because of my skin, nor do I think this is something we should move toward. The best way for a client to find talent that is skilled is by their job history and reviews. Although, it is important to note that the reviewing system may need a little revising, but that is a topic for another post. 🙂

Perhaps, helping anyone having challenges getting work on the platform a coach or 1 on 1 session, would be something to consider (No matter the skin color).     

I believe that Upwork really cares about its talent and clients, again I say "Thank You". 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths