Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Now is the time to act!

Highlighted
Grace M Member Since: Apr 26, 2018
11 of 18

Lena E wrote:

Hi Rochelle.

Thank you for your response. You have highlighted some valid use cases and gaps in our search functionality. We will be sharing your feedback with our Product team and when we have details about any future updates to our product we will announce them here in the forums. 

-Lena

This is too easily exploited. Give freelancers the OPTION to include their gender/race. Maybe they can be used under specialized profiles only, or something.

Many many stakeholders - especially the freelancers - will have to give extensive input, in regard to avoiding exploitation.

Highlighted
Grace M Member Since: Apr 26, 2018
12 of 18

or just indicate that they are a part of a minority group, so that the clients can actively filter results based on other factors.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 18

Rochelle H wrote:
If you really care and support your black community of freelancers, then you should work to create features to help clients find diverse talent, specifically. I am a Freelancer here and as a small biz owner, I use Upwork as a Client also.

In my own experience and from what I've heard from colleagues who are literally searching for freelancers of color for specific projects, like opinion pieces, from the eye of, etc. - your current search options make that impossible to do. The same can be said for clients trying to hire more women, too.

I would have thought the fact that there is a photo on all search results makes it very easy for clients to find freelancers of colour as well as women.

Run a search, invite freelancers who are obviously what you are after. You can see it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
14 of 18

Hayden B wrote:

Upwork Community, 

Our voices matter. 

Our commitments matter. 

Our actions matter.

We are deeply saddened by the recent events of discrimination and violence against Black people in our communities. We acknowledge George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and the many other Black people who have needlessly lost their lives due to racist violence and an inequitable justice system. We are outraged, and we are motivated to take action for the betterment of our communities. At Upwork, we do not condone any form of racism on our platform. Black Lives Matter and we stand with our Black community now and every day.  

On the Upwork platform, we will continue to work to build a space where people of all races, backgrounds, and nationalities can tap into unparalleled work opportunities. Our product is anchored in our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. We will continue to break down the barriers that too often block talented people, including Black people, from accessing opportunities and realizing their potential. We are deeply committed to furthering opportunities for Black people on our platform, including taking steps to identify potential biases and to reduce the propagation of hiring preferences around race, nationality, gender, and ethnicity on Upwork. 

We are expanding our outreach into our communities where we are committed to the eradication of police violence, particularly violence against Black people. To further this important work, we are donating $100,000 to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund to help fight racial injustice. We are also matching an additional $100,000 in employee donations to organizations supporting the Black community. You can learn more about our efforts in the open letter posted here by Erin Thomas, Upwork’s Head of Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging.

At Upwork, we are channeling our outrage into work to actively build a company and a society that Black people deserve. 

Hayden Brown

President and CEO, Upwork

Lol.

I noted the speed with which Goran V. zapped a thread that asked whether Upwork actually believes black lives matter.

It was zapped with lightning speed, into oblivion, Upwork thinks, but it still lives in my memory.

So yes, Upwork speaketh from both sides of their mouth.

On the Upwork platform, we will continue to work to build a space where people of all races, backgrounds, and nationalities can tap into unparalleled work opportunities.

Indeed. 

At Upwork, we are channeling our outrage into work to actively build a company and a society that Black people deserve. 

Lol again.

I don't like commenting on race-related matters on these fora.

In fact, this is the first, and probably the last I will respond on a race-related thread here.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
15 of 18

Hi Abinadab.

I believe the thread you're referring to was the one around the minimum hourly rate charge and included comments about freelancers living in specific countries. This thread was removed as part of our Community Guidelines, as it was seen as disrespectful to members of the Community. 

Our CEO, Hayden Brown, sent an email to customers and also posted this announcement because we are not trying to be silent. We welcome discussion here in the forums and if you have any feedback about how we can do better or what we can do better, I want you to feel supported in expressing your concerns. You've been contributing to our Community forums for several years and we value your feedback. 

-Lena

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Leader
Kishor P Member Since: Jun 14, 2016
16 of 18

i was appearing for UPSC exam and the exam requires candidates to have knowledge of each and every event happening across the world (and not just India). So, based on that i can say this was brewing since at least a decade. Its just it has reached its boiling point.

travon martin was famous example. there was one more incident where white police used illigal technique on black guy selling loose cigarettes.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Kalaani W Member Since: Jan 14, 2016
17 of 18

On the Upwork platform, we will continue to work to build a space where people of all races, backgrounds, and nationalities can tap into unparalleled work opportunities. Our product is anchored in our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives.

Your geographical based freelancer filtering system will not helping out  this. It should be slightly modify. A system like google use , "Freelancers around you " will be fair than country wise filtering . Now this global platform preventing somewhat, hire somebody  from other country  .

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Arsalan A Member Since: Oct 1, 2015
18 of 18

In today's technology this is the great time to act! Many people are working Online and get very authentic employees as technology is expanding day by day! Employees are seeking jobs and upwork is the only platform who fullfill their talent and skills with great rewards! Keep it up

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS