cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open to new proposals badge

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 38

We are testing out a new badge on job posts and tiles that will signal to freelancers if a job doesn't have many proposals. 

Freelancers heavily rely on recency when applying and often look at jobs that were posted in the last few hours. As a result, jobs in the marketplace that were posted over a day ago may not receive many applicants after that initial posting period and the client often needs more applicants to review. As part of this test, we will be placing a badge on these “older” jobs that we hypothesize still need proposals. This is based on the client continuing to actively engage in a job post and the number of proposals the job has received. The badge will display as  ‘Open to New Proposals and will appear on jobs in both user job search and on the Find Work Home feeds.

Here is an example of what the badge may look like:

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 9.21.03 AM.png

This is a test that will be running for a few weeks while we monitor results.  We will let you know if this becomes a permanent feature. 

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 38

Ramesh K wrote:

Suddenly started seeing a message in blue color 'Open to New Proposals' in some jobs.
What is it meant for? Why it is not there in all jobs

Edited because Lena explained it properly Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
3 of 38

This was just released this morning. I just posted this announcement, so I'm merging the thread here. https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Open-to-new-proposals-badge/m-p/826976#M51209

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
4 of 38

I am seeing this badge on many jobs that are less than a day old. Some only a few hours old. Also, how does this play into sorting? I would guess the fall-off in proposals is also due to the job itself appearing later and later as new jobs sort to the top. A badge won't change the propensity for the freelancer to not look back days ago when moving through the list of postings. Lastly, not a fan of the wording. Without reading the explanation here I would have assumed this meant that the client indicated they wanted new proposals rather than UW simply guessing that they do. It's misleading. At best what I get out of this is that maybe the client is still engaging with their posting but that's about it. This badge really stands out on these listings and, based on the explanation of how it got there, I personally don't think it is merited. Such a standout should be reserved for something much more significant and clearly signaled by the client.

Highlighted
Upwork Staff
Hannah S Upwork Staff Member Since: Dec 15, 2017
5 of 38

Hi Scott, thank you so much for your feedback and questions! I’m the product manager for this feature. As mentioned in the announcement, the intention of this badge is to signal to talent that the client is still actively reviewing proposals and there are indications that they would benefit from more proposals. Oftentimes users will not apply to an older job that has many applications already. With this badge we want to encourage users who believe they are highly qualified for a job to still apply because they still have a chance of winning. The amount of time that has passed before a badge is added varies by the level of competition for jobs in that category. Thanks so much for sharing your feedback about the timeframe in your category. The badge does not change sorting. I also appreciate your feedback that the name of the badge is misleading.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
6 of 38

Thanks for the response, Hannah. Below is screen capture to also illustrate the time. Adding this badge 2 hours after a job posting seems extreme and not in line with the announcement. This isn't an isolated case. 

If the badge doesn't change sorting (not saying it should) I think people will continue to miss "older" jobs (i.e. those actually older than 24 hours) because they won't scroll far enough to see the badge. 

Capture.JPG

Highlighted
Ahmer H Member Since: Oct 4, 2019
7 of 38

This really is a cool work you guys bring in, this really will help job seekers to find clients who really are persistent with their posted work and still looking for the applications to hire someone for their work. 
Literally I was about to make a post on it to upwork, that from past few weeks I have noticed that upwork is wasting most of its commission from the clients posted jobs, many jobs remain open and and got unattended by job seekers once the 24 hours duration been passed on the newly opened job.
This strange trend have been placed on upwork leaving much of work untouched and wasted lately.

Also would this be possible by upwork that bound the client to surely hire someone and also very much precise and elaborative with their job description for a confirmed work hiring on their posted job, specially with the new unverified payment clients, which most of the time gets declined and ignored by the workers. Make some restrictions with new clients with prior payment confirmation and advance payment submission bounding them for confirmed upwork community builder and also maintain upworks status within their competitors.

Thanks      

Highlighted
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
8 of 38

Why is this not something the client can choose to add to the job post, instead of Upwork guessing? Wouldn't it be better if clients got this option say every second day (not by email, but as a button within their job post)? Kinda the same as the "renew job post" thing. If I'm still looking to hire I can just click a "still looking" button, and the badge would appear, for 2 days or something, unless I click that button again. 

Questions:
* Once this badge is added to a job post, how long does it stay there? 

* When you say "number of proposals the job has received", is this the actual number, or what is shown to the freelancers? If I get 50 proposals and archive/reject 45 of them, the job post shows that I only got 5 proposals, so for this feature, will the number be based on the 50 or the 5?

Hannah S Upwork Staff Member Since: Dec 15, 2017
9 of 38

Hi Eve, thank you so much for your feedback. I’m curious, would you want a job that is actively hiring, as indicated in the way you described, to be pushed to the top of your feed? Where would you want to see those jobs?

To answer your questions:

The badges are updated every hour so if the status of the job changes, the badge will be added/removed within the hour. 

The proposals count that displays on the job post includes relevant proposals, but does not include proposals that are withdrawn, declined, or archived. The decision to badge a job or not takes into account all the proposals that have been submitted to the job as well as the invitations that a client has sent.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
10 of 38

Hannah S wrote:

Hi Eve, thank you so much for your feedback. I’m curious, would you want a job that is actively hiring, as indicated in the way you described, to be pushed to the top of your feed? Where would you want to see those jobs?

As a freelancer, I would of course only want to see jobs that are actively hiring in my feed. If clients are not actively hiring I wouldn't want them in my feed at all. But, all that aside, it would be nice to have this as a separate filter, like the one where we can choose to see job posts from previous clients. However, again I don't see this as useful at all unless this is something the client has indicated. What Upwork is guessing about a job has no value to me at all. 

As a client, or someone hiring on this platform, I would never again bother to pay to feature my job post if I can get the job post moved to the top of freelancers feed for free. The only other benefit with this is that TR freelancers get to start at 10% and not 20%, but I see that more as a perk for the freelancers. As a client, I don't care about that part of the 'Featured Job' thing, so moving 'open to new proposals' jobs to the top would kill your paid option, at least for me.