cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open to new proposals badge

mitchschwartz
mitch s Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
11 of 39

As Eve L said in her response below, this would have much more meaning if the client asked for it, rather than for UW to use some questionable formula. Now that I know the basis for its appearance, I will ignore it.

shahadathossan24
Shahadat H Member Since: Oct 31, 2020
12 of 39

many jobs that are less than a day old. Some only a few hours old. Also, how does this play into sorting? I would guess the fall-off in proposals is also due to the job itself appearing later and later as new jobs sort to the top. A badge won't change the propensity for the freelancer to not look back days ago when moving through the list of postings. Lastly, not a fan of the wording. Without reading the explanation here I would have assumed this meant that the client indicated they wanted new proposals rather than UW simply guessing that they do. It's misleading. At best what I get out of this is that maybe the client is still engaging with their posting but that's about it. This badge really stands out on these listings and, based on the explanation of how it got there, I personally don't think it is merited. Such a standout should be reserved for something much more significant and clearly signaled by the client.

dataextract
Community Guru
Ramesh K Member Since: Oct 25, 2015
13 of 39

Suddenly started seeing a message in blue color 'Open to New Proposals' in some jobs.

What is it meant for? Why it is not there in all jobsOpen to New Proposals.jpg

wescowley
Community Guru
Wes C Member Since: May 3, 2019
14 of 39

Lena,

This looks like it could be useful. Will there be a filter option to search for these? That seems like it would be important in order to surface older posts that have this flag.

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
15 of 39

If a job hasn't received many proposals, it's because:

1. The client has a low hiring percentage and/or poor reviews from past freelancers.

2. The budget is insanely low, even by Upwork standards.

3. The client sounds demanding and unreasonable.

4. The project description is vague.

5. All of the above.

Freelancers can easily see when projects have received very few bids, so adding a badge isn't necessary. If Upwork wants to do something about a project posting with too few bids, then they should get in touch with the client and help them to improve their job post. Good clients have no shortage of freelancers who are willing to work with them.

gina-herrera
Community Guru
Gina H Member Since: Aug 10, 2020
16 of 39

I  just saw this badge on a job post with 20 to 50 proposals... so if that's what it's meant for, jobs with low amounts of applications, it's not even accurate lol

Maybe clients can now choose to add the badge if they feel they didn't get enough quality applicants..?

alphazomgy
Community Guru
Alexander B Member Since: Mar 30, 2017
17 of 39

Here are a few pointers for the people in charge of this product:

I have found some great projtects that were a day or older with less than 5 proposals. But that was only when I was desperate, lol. 

The only way you're gonna get me to look at an older job posts that's still looking for proposals it to put it infront of my face/back at the top of the job feed.

I'm too busy to look at job posts older than 8 hours unless I've been invited to them.

What I suggest is that you get clients to decide whether they are still "looking for proposals" or not. Then maybe if they indicate that they are, then once every 72 hours they can get their job "re-posted" so it shows back up in the feed as if its brand new. (But make sure we now it's re-posted/the client is still looking for propsals. Those jobs are actually very attractive because it signals to me the client is usually looking for the chepaest, or best freelancer.)

Most of us freelancers have already figured out how to determine if a client is still looking for more proposals. This badge isn't really that useful in its current state.

ma_yongtao
Yongtao M Member Since: Mar 13, 2019
18 of 39

I like the idea. Alexander, would you mind describing briefly how would you determine if a client is still active? Thanks!

e_luneborg
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
19 of 39

Alexander B wrote:

What I suggest is that you get clients to decide whether they are still "looking for proposals" or not. Then maybe if they indicate that they are, then once every 72 hours they can get their job "re-posted" so it shows back up in the feed as if its brand new. (But make sure we now it's re-posted/the client is still looking for propsals. Those jobs are actually very attractive because it signals to me the client is usually looking for the chepaest, or best freelancer.)

I imagine the reason why they don't want to move the job up again is that this is something clients can do if they choose to Feature a job, and that is not for free.

Alexander B Member Since: Mar 30, 2017
20 of 39

Ah, then how would any of us ever see these job posts?